Just a humorous car story from a few weeks back | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just a humorous car story from a few weeks back

Clutt-225

I was in traffic in my Johnex Cobra. It’s a Canadian built Shelby Cobra Replica.
Guy in F150 “is that a real Cobra”
Me “nope it’s a Replica”
Guy “what’s a real one worth”
Me “ million or so depending”
Wife in F150 “what’s that one worth”
Me “lots less”
Guy “ still nice”
Me “nobody complains about fake tits”
The look on her face was priceless.

It was one of my wittier moments. I would like to put it on a t shirt but my own wife didn’t seem to agree.
Especially after I suggested we could get her Replica 20yr old boobs.

I’m ok with it being “fake”
I can drive it. It does pretty good donuts and makes noises that I like.

Nothing wrong with a replica that you can drive and not worry about so much. Saw a Cobra replica on the road this past weekend near Shelburne. I knew it was a replica because it was on the road being driven.

It really is funny how many people ask if it’s real, and then seam to pity because it’s not.
Lol
If it was I would sell it, pay off my house, my truck, buy a Replica and do donuts in a Replica.
But it’s a fake

Here’s a pic for any bike gear heads that may enjoy 4 wheels also
k5Dny6P.jpg

Beautiful car!

Once rode a couple blocks in an original 289 Cobra. Beautiful car if only it was in better condition.

Yowza that’s a beauty! How much is such a thing if you don’t mind?

$6500 but it looked like this.
Long story short the car was built in the Cambridge area around 11years ago.
It was in a garage that caught fire. My Dad bought the car as a father son project.
We dumped a fair chunk of change and 4years into building our dream car.
We are carpenters by trade and knew nothing about automotive restoration so we had to learn along the way.
You could probably find a well sorted nice Cobra Replica for around $50,000
Just not this one! This one is definitely not for sale.

d0BkBpT.jpg

An acquaintance has an original 427 AC, it has pedigree. It's worth just south of a million, they took a small drop in the last two yrs (how do you even gauge value) . He doesn't drive it much at all unless its an event and never to CTC or someplace like that, its just too interesting.
Therre is a second price to owning an original.

Fortunatly for him he has a small fleet of Porche and some odd ball Healy cars to slum in.

A kit car is not a fake, like buying a fake Rolex. A fake Rolex is 'maybe they cant tell' . A kit car is just that, a drivable version of the original

I'm OK with "fake" cars, as long as there is a decent effort to make it stay true to the original.

I'd never wear a fake Rolex, but I can tell you there are some damn good counterfeits out there that you'd never know unless you took it apart and examined it under a magnifying glass. The counterfeit guys are getting that good with the milling process, techniques and precision. Even with the movements.

It's the rolling abortion that is a Pontiac Fieros masked as a Ferrari that I have a problem with.

Pontiac Fiero Goes All Ferrari F40

My neighbour has a 36 Ford 3 window coupe Hot Rod. Beautiful car and rare. Everyone assumes is a fibreglass or steel body replica but, it’s an original steel body car.

It does have a modern LT1 Powertrain.

There are some nice quality replica cars and would own them in a heart beat.

Actually, we have a number of Classic E type Jag owners that don’t drive their cars anymore because they are just too valuable and too many knuckleheads out on the road.

Very nice job Clutt225, and time VERY well spent with your Dad!
That's got to be a 'keeper'?
What's under the hood?

Actually, we have a number of Classic E type Jag owners that don’t drive their cars anymore because they are just too valuable and too many knuckleheads out on the road.
Used to work at a Jag dealership way back in the day....loved that job, and loved the cars to this day. My favourite driving car was the 2003 S-Type R when it first came out...but the favourite to sit and look at was when the E-Types would come in on those rare occassions. Beautiful car, beautiful sound, and drove great when taken care of.

Love the cobra replicas. I even considered building a 5.0 based version at one point but decided it was a little too much $ for me at the time. Would still love to have one though, I’m sure it’s a lot of fun and building it with your dad is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If i had Leno's money I'd be just like him, enjoying originals, restorations and having staff to make sure they were ready when i was. And I'd drive the crap out of them

Very nice job Clutt225, and time VERY well spent with your Dad!
That's got to be a 'keeper'?
What's under the hood?

Yes the car means a lot to both of us. It spends most of its time on a hoist in my garage. I try to get out once a week weather permitting. Dad will usually pic it up and take it to his cottage in Bancroft for July. We have around 10,000miles on the car since completion 6 years ago.
It’s powered by a Ford 351W stroked to 392CI mated to 5spd tremec tko trans.
Should be in the neighbourhood of 450hp and 400lbs torque at the wheels and weight is 2000lbs.
Suspension is fully adjustable 4 link 8.8 rear end coil over a arm set up in front.
Brakes are non power 4 wheel disc from 2004 set Cobra Mustang 13” front rotors
Wheels are 17”x 8 front 17x10.5 rear, tires are kuhmo esta dot Road race tire 245 in front with massive 315 in rear.

And yes free rides on sunny days
The car is almost as fun as a motorcycle

That’s awesome. I’m not that mech inclined but can do the basics on my own car.
How did you find the work overall? Just bought the frame and body (from the fire) and then everything following after?

I'm OK with "fake" cars, as long as there is a decent effort to make it stay true to the original.

I'd never wear a fake Rolex, but I can tell you there are some damn good counterfeits out there that you'd never know unless you took it apart and examined it under a magnifying glass. The counterfeit guys are getting that good with the milling process, techniques and precision. Even with the movements.

It's the rolling abortion that is a Pontiac Fieros masked as a Ferrari that I have a problem with.

Pontiac Fiero Goes All Ferrari F40

It really was a travesty that people would take a perfectly good Pontiac and try to make it look like a cheesy pasta rocket.

Back
Top Bottom