Just 17 years old been obssessed with motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just 17 years old been obssessed with motorcycles

I am amr, 17 years old, and reside in Mississauga Ontario. I currently have my m1 but due to covid restrictions, I wasn't able to get my m2. I have been looking for motorcycles I went from looking at YZF-R3 to Kawasaki Ninja till I contacted some insurance companies and I was getting 13/ year Literally insnane. Then I figured out that any sportbike will not do me good on my insurance. I really want to purchase a motorcycle for the summer when I have my m2 and training course done. I can't seem to find a single good bike for good insurance. I have been looking at the new BMW g310 r but I will probably get bad insurance since it is a new bike.

Is there any suggestion for a good bike I could purchase in the summer since my birthday is in June?

I joined this community because I thought I would get some actual useful suggestions

I am pleased to join such a community and I hope I grow within it over the next years

Typically insurance is based on age and class of motorcycle and how powerful the engine is. How new a motorcycle is, is actually not a large factor in determining your premiums.

If you call around for a quote for the G310R, you might find the rates might be equal to or even cheaper than the R3 and Ninja 300, since the displacement is roughly the same and neither of them are classed as super sports.

Also, welcome to GTAM!

Ride safe and have fun.

I am amr, 17 years old, and reside in Mississauga Ontario. I currently have my m1 but due to covid restrictions, I wasn't able to get my m2. I have been looking for motorcycles I went from looking at YZF-R3 to Kawasaki Ninja till I contacted some insurance companies and I was getting 13/ year Literally insnane. Then I figured out that any sportbike will not do me good on my insurance. I really want to purchase a motorcycle for the summer when I have my m2 and training course done. I can't seem to find a single good bike for good insurance. I have been looking at the new BMW g310 r but I will probably get bad insurance since it is a new bike.

Is there any suggestion for a good bike I could purchase in the summer since my birthday is in June?

I joined this community because I thought I would get some actual useful suggestions

I am pleased to join such a community and I hope I grow within it over the next years
Welcome, the little sports bikes are about as good as it gets for insurance (R3, 300RR, Ninja 300, etc). I would definitely buy used. Saves you money on depreciation (you can sell it for what you bought it for and it probably comes prescratched so your scratches won't hurt the value much) and you can consider not having collision insurance. I would recommend collision for many reasons, but in your case, the numbers may make it worthwhile to avoid.

Welcome OP!

Good luck with whatever you end up buying - perhaps a naked bike or small cruiser would be better for now.
My .02 - get a bike with ABS and spend as much money as you can on protective gear.

Thinking back to when I was 17...please ride safe and be super cautious...don't want to see young people on the news.

okay so focus more on little sportbikes

what about honda rebel 300 since it's not classified as a "sport" bike
and the honda cbf300 Naked bike would these be a good shout or should I stay away from them

I am just excited I have been saving up for a while now and I want get a motorcycle so bad.

How was it for beginners like in the same age how did it go for them?

I used to live in Egypt I used to own a 100 cc dirt bike then got a quad bike after so trust me I have passed over the stupidness reckless driving I have matured over the years hopefully I could actually achieve my goal I have done my research for gear almost costing me 800$ to make sure that my safety is number one priority

I wonder if dealerships are now allowing for folks to go try bikes out.
Comfort is very important when choosing a bike...things like seat height and the weight of a bike matter a lot - to me.
Once you get a feel for it - narrow down 2-3 choices and then call around for insurance premiums.

I'd stick with Japanese bikes for now - I suspect domestic and Euro brands will cost higher in terms of insurance premiums (could be mistaken).

I wonder if dealerships are now allowing for folks to go try bikes out.
Comfort is very important when choosing a bike...things like seat height and the weight of a bike matter a lot - to me.
Once you get a feel for it - narrow down 2-3 choices and then call around for insurance premiums.

I'd stick with Japanese bikes for now - I suspect domestic and Euro brands will cost higher in terms of insurance premiums (could be mistaken).

Most were not to begin with.

I expect a select few are allowing demos

When I bought my bike last year I was told by two dealerships that dealers in Ontario don’t allow test rides anymore for two reasons. First was insurance, test rides aren’t covered anymore after a few fatal accidents. Second was the fact that they didn’t want bikes in the showroom that have clearly been ridden, even if it was just a short test ride, which would only be in the case of brand new bikes.

for the op, have you looked into dual sport bikes? Maybe a CRF250L for a few years until you get your M. They are fun to rip around town and you get to ride trails too. Unfortunately insurance is going to be high until at least 25 and even then with sport bikes over 500cc you’ll be spending the cost of the bike every couple years.

When I bought my bike last year I was told by two dealerships that dealers in Ontario don’t allow test rides anymore for two reasons.

I test rode a bunch of bikes last year, the dealers that let me test ride, also got my business.

When I bought my bike last year I was told by two dealerships that dealers in Ontario don’t allow test rides anymore for two reasons. First was insurance, test rides aren’t covered anymore after a few fatal accidents. Second was the fact that they didn’t want bikes in the showroom that have clearly been ridden, even if it was just a short test ride, which would only be in the case of brand new bikes.

As recently as 2018, I was still offered test rides.

Granted, they were demo bikes that already had mileage on them, they weren't going to pull a 0km bike off the showroom floor and prep it for me for just a test ride.

But they were still offering test rides.

^everything he said.

As recently as 2018, I was still offered test rides.

Granted, they were demo bikes that already had mileage on them, they weren't going to pull a 0km bike off the showroom floor and prep it for me for just a test ride.

But they were still offering test rides.
I was offered test rides on used bikes at one of the dealers just not new. I also have my doubts about test rides at 17 with an m1.

I was offered test rides on used bikes at one of the dealers just not new. I also have my doubts about test rides at 17 with an m1.

Typically the larger dealerships will designate a couple of current model year bikes as demo motorcycles for test rides and loaners, then they sell them at the end of the year for a reduced price.

in addition to all thats been said, it also helps if you show up on your bike for a test ride

Back
Top Bottom