June heading west 3 weeks + | GTAMotorcycle.com

June heading west 3 weeks +

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Going to try what I didn't get to go on last year but leaving earlier and will adjust for weather.

This is really up in the air at the moment so open to suggestions and I might divert it to a south bound trip that I've manage to not make to the Smokies etc.

My riding season in Canada is busted by a 2 week Hawaii trip mid July for a 60th birthday for sis-inlaw ...will be putting on mileage either side of that but would still like to get across to BC.

I want the long June days to take it easy on aging bod - lots of breaks. The long range on the CB500x is going to make that hard as I tend to keep riding until I need fuel.
450 km is easy on the CB.
I'll be AirBnb or cheap motel so don't have chase camping. I think it's too early for my original route via US slab to Chief Joseph area and Yellowstone then up to Glacier. and follow the Rockies North.

The other alternative I guess is fly to BC and ride the area for two weeks and by that time the passes should be open for the ride back via the route. ?

Anyone done BC in early June? We did it after the 15th and it was hot already in the valleys.

Now this is interesting ...West Jet also offering flights to the west but not Vancouver - at $650 I'm in ....$850+ dangerous good gets up there.

WestJet now offers motorcycle shipping | Canada Moto Guide

Last edited:
Fly the bike to Calgary this time ...$850 plus dangerous goods. Westjet says doing the whole thing via Motorcycle Advance is best Motorcycle Advance 1-800-245-8726 - guy even answered the phone at 1 am when I called from Australia.

I'm not committed to fly West Jet either which saves me money as Air Canada is $100 less
Just have to survive four hours in my motorcyle gear. ? I don't have a lot of storage on the bike - be best if I can strap the helmet to the bike

Want an early pick up as have 580 scenic KM to Salmon Arm.
Calgary International Airport to Falkland
Flight arrives 11.30 am and I'm flying the bike the day before so hopefully a quick turnaround to get the bike like it was in Vancouver. Long daylight hours tho and great scenery.
10 pm by looks of it for sunset

Then ride BC day trips for two weeks. Lows are 10C and highs 23 so guess it's the 3 season Scott jacket...best anyway as used to it for touring and might be chilly in the mountains on the way home. Travelling very light due to storage restraints.

Return trip I will ride south through Glacier and skim Yellowstone and across to Duluth - then decide after that depending on the weather. Glacier was nippy in mid June last time...caught in a snow squall on Going to the Sun Road.
Going-to-the-Sun Rd

Last edited:
Fly versus ride one way. cost to fly $1250 round figures.

My $300 flight is effectively free due to paying with points.
$850 I'm told is tax in price plus the $120 or so for dangerous goods.

CB500x is pretty good on fuel. 60 mpg real so 10 fillups - $150
Food ...I eat cheap when riding...$150 - 5 days.
Motel looks to be $100 a night ...sometimes less sometimes a bit more
So $800-900 versus $1250 -

I'll get out there refreshed and ready to enjoy the scenery. Coming home I'm with the wind which helps with fatigue and there is no specific point I have to be back so if the weather sucks I can delay or shift the route. Last time worked out very well as we cruised behind a line of thunderstorms most of the way back.

If I decide to go south of Lake Superior likely stay at the same spot in the Michigan Peninsula. Rode behind those storms all the way home. it's 975 km from there which is a push but ..all slab. I'd prefer to do the Canadian loop North of Superior but will take longer.
xsVy1GmbhIsMg5-OdnjSL98KQcscwkHfobXsJFOcoV5T20JysYwQYyX2mP-wVxwNGrmULLvGu62GV3SI2Pu5NWGrG_HGCMy5RJSHnjDSZJjlPABMBGQkbWL_DooXZyBdlnYgFW-c7jRetpdGHg6WPG97E8KHiyZyK69zNA_qtl4yKXIsvfZf7BwUP1o2aN9_FilWphdzdyd0Zz6Mssd8lsq9R8MJk7NRHoklWMwWS4YnuXeWOm41wMmJC0hHk3sTgOCf_5PAuHng-L3nnhQNFePHQ8HMidVCXpOQ9CfMOi6YLJOTX1ua4U3ggQC6Z_JtGweNyTOQ6VewppGBsxtrvUvkVIP1iowQrX7soy6vqKXOMUSJ4MMcgoXFFmnVSmdJ8kEYVzfOjbCiH6cgfKZoDiwyhnWt_IMsBJboarj8g75RHfJnD4oIEAIxABA7SPxHiKgNTqsOMTyn7ocCk9XjqsiSc2YLkHGHjdjf1ezDsPauzq-3jNOLO5LJimVewyU_b8e-ZW3N16vshjkBYA1eoatjiCO5BkC3_cRJ0sikIwnyReJms1gmeIWbSalqMzrfzXihwzfh23XcT-qYT-0pbiAri1Cq4d9hYmlqQGV15svyzziXnqEzyWmNEHyBoUqqf1GOkADP3JSlPPQrPh8Sq6o-G5i6_xpg=w2038-h1148-no

National weather radar make large scale timing much easier as the weather systems move west to east.
Probably not a great weekend for GTA riders to go south :unsure:
NatLoop.gif

I'd like to get info on recommended day trips in BC. I will do 99 around Lilloet for sure even if I have to book an overnite.

I'd like to get info on recommended day trips in BC. I will do 99 around Lilloet for sure even if I have to book an overnite.

Have you looked at Swoop, a division of Westjet? They have a limited airport options but can be really cheap. Wife did Hamilton to Abbotsford recently and thought it was OK.

Wherever you ride in BC... Avoid the major routes.
I rode Hamilton to the Okanagan last summer via the trans Canada. West of Calgary, all through the mountains... Hundreds of campers/RV's/trucks...
On the way home I rode #3 (Crows nest hwy) from Penticton to Medicine Hat, 1000 km in one go.... Awesome.
Way less traffic and it's a great road

*one tip... know your bikes range.
Maybe it's just me, but during my trip it seemed as if fuel stops could be very far apart... Especially in a northern Ont. and in the Prairie provinces... I never actually ran out of gas, but I did have a few instances were I experienced a little bit of "range anxiety" Lol

Last edited:
One reason I bought the CB500x was for its long range ..and yeah I hear you. Kid did run out on the Yellowhead. Marked station was seasonal - so I rode ahead brought him fuel. Thanks for reminder - I may take some spare fuel - the Vstrom was easy for extra fuel.
Tucked right in beside the pannier

MAFmldoLxEBYmi1AL-X_2D6VbpgibpRX8brbsTxlLTg3Jxrj-C998qkCsL2UA8AUfSPzaPjoL1ZFYxxi2XFYPupoLQPjeOGHS9P8PMghQsYT2DtkB9S1UuriXfNOs-PHQtnxPMSfKQNeoCgrMnxe2ZU7sF4mtDCV3iCRtqFtYpFZ85SrYttxm-K9SeZVH_lxgktq9-3J85gjXIDuylje8Kew3zrIH9n7jCzBbEehYG7sRft47JCwlHvdZqiaTOpWD1j7I6S_moyr2QPMzWuY8ZOE6Eq5QDq6gbQy-SoZqHF__hUrm72waqmI6DLqj9R5nQoN18FT3Egc2DMVDJPeh-mMyxf0dfwWdX9zd433eTD3UPvFYlabw9aN_TksixghkeLukXceVihe3nhmvP9jqLRD8FPh-V-m9zNPva1iPm_ESrRlwiDDlX2eBmq0teLCK8w7vOXehNocwRjJ31JfhTEC5Z_MucXSorpZXkvXJGZT7Ya2is0AzrcFMy_ndROGPzOYN3Z73fS3UY74dWr8JDvhlZ92nvOepUNOkIXwLTqGVKP8W8beeLCLWAwG6scN-pXe2ZMJ7KaX_oWrvxv6vfnf1oJbN1RuxmXAqEOxqdE0bmx46TXiYKytYtwtkVmV_PesXnBk0kynDcuUSraD1gmV_mlUhstf=w1936-h1164-no

should be room in there as well..on the CB
ujUdjRV6EL5YvLR-WGqhe8zgR5q--KRdblgFE0u2FMhwZjRz7-TE78FHPl3dX55JWzbO0qEeqQ9ZexJ_bRtO-hpkemcMaZ95D9NY6ADcwq6hRQV0IK6OTlRmlc_HZCjEF-U2RyRqPx1U4d4RLsK3HRdDLguJsymmEwOSV9qmfc5jCB922YTbWovensfysU1MDG3c6IE-FzZ-Kt0C1K-u9ymoMgbrKEMMc8FB8qnYMQ8z6xjckQk9ctvoS7mdwUvgCmLI7EbgP-nggfT3eHpz2oseUO2Dj3HLwRgLOAiDWtNlQaZA2zoFvW0GC_He0j1Tj7ldowxyF5cx4su1BAkaXT291cIldcFdXPsMJgt7brFkqQcwd1tRSl1HvRgyV_AWMW2GSxT-0X6IMYRZA4tSQCXw7svz8jJZUN2uAzhMvqNyErWKXpf4Bad-S3P5Mcl-IKQvnbpqxWSaFY0NVWi_BsBOmMUCYwk-UaHlnARcxjRIfrGaYSDePKAfPSd03knZNauWBqoGuiQ-gSL-ok1YLywkrxexJhnKMNjGrkj6ZvUBWQfGnxFxscvDjmA5mIaFLz3eonN-wDVahkOdDnxGBqO2Cn2Y_SRjch1yGwdVUgyF6tf6x8eTNTPhg3s1bqq8e_hMbqmHNzNJU_lYd5wVyt73JXUcQrCz=w892-h1194-no

We did the Crow's Nest as well on our way back and that looks to be the best option to get down to Glacier.

Done Duluth - Toronto many times (back and forth to Aerostich). The south side of Superior can run 100 degrees by day, it's brutally hot in Jul and Aug. North around superior will be 25-40 degrees cooler, much more comfortable. Mileage is longer going north, but timewise they are not much different. I make each run in about 15 hours as the northern route moves faster and has way fewer campers and RVs to contend with. Lodging is also about 1/2 the price along the northern route, so if cost is a factor you can save a buck or two.

It will be June not July but weather will determine which route ...15 and up I'll go North.
Rain or cold I'll blitz Michigan

I was on the prairies in late August last year...
Ambiant temp. guage read 41°....
Rolled into Calgary... it was in the mid 30's.
I loved it... *Hate the cold

THe headache in June is bloody cold in the mountains - we hit a snow squall in Glacier but then crazy hot in the BC valleys - so wearing 3 season gear - hard to keep cool enough. My Scott jacket is too warm for anything in the 30+
Trying to figure out if it's worth mailing my mesh jacket out and back for the BC riding. - maybe I wear one on the plane and strap the other to bike for transport

I like your routing through the UP, upper Michigan is very nice
Traverse City would make a nice diversion, time permitting
then up HWY 31 along the coast to Mac bridge

the Okanogan of course would have to be on the BC bucket list
right down the bottom at Osoyoos is neat
but I'd take the western way in
HWY 97 though Vernon, Kelowna etc is not fun at all
there's a desert centre down there with an interesting walking trail
a nice 60 minute stretch and walk opportunity off the bike
you'd swear you were in the South West and not Canada

I'd also recommend a night in Penticton
cool vibe and some decent restaurants
and a very walkable place to stretch your sore ligaments and stuff

You might get away with your mesh jacket only and throw on a rainsuit over that, when you need warmth. I use a perforated leather jacket on my bike camping trip to Alberta every July and manage cold mornings north of Superior with rain suit jacket on top.

Lakota
I've thought about it but the Scott IS waterproof Gortex and I'm early in the mountains. I'm expecting pretty decent weather in BC so the mesh would be nicer. I have the liner for the Joe Rocket and with the non-breathable Icon rain jacket I'm snug but I simple don't have room for the layers. The Scott is warm. waterproof and breathable in one go.

Java ....I'll be coming back through Michigan and might spend an extra day.
I'll be doing out and back up to 600 km rides around Salmon Arm with a few longer jaunts ( 99/Lillooet and down to Vancouver to lunch with a friend)

Wanted to do Muncho Lake but too far.

Last edited:
What is the name of the radar app. I punched in National weather radar in my apple cell and bunch of weather app popped up. which one is it?

Last edited:
I like your routing through the UP, upper Michigan is very nice
Traverse City would make a nice diversion, time permitting
then up HWY 31 along the coast to Mac bridge

the Okanogan of course would have to be on the BC bucket list
right down the bottom at Osoyoos is neat
but I'd take the western way in
HWY 97 though Vernon, Kelowna etc is not fun at all
there's a desert centre down there with an interesting walking trail
a nice 60 minute stretch and walk opportunity off the bike
you'd swear you were in the South West and not Canada

I'd also recommend a night in Penticton
cool vibe and some decent restaurants
and a very walkable place to stretch your sore ligaments and stuff

Yeah... Kelowna is ALWAYS a traffic jam.
That said... Lots of activity going on you can watch while navigating the number to bumper parade..

Reactions: J_F
I'll be using this to find some good loops

88 Motorcycle Roads British Columbia Canada

Lots to choose
vHBwzi68SGzPiDacwXGMT0JnKmVCT-yMUAwmA-FLlEJzp7OZM7nM_AFmayU-AkloH1HPFfnJ-XHuv2mZNbd8cdCzb_EPk-KjeVUvaN7-TaHgvYDkEzni22b8iIt-kdFohVSAsI-mQIwsI5LfiPLf5Rabmb61u592pWwZCXDMDSEG4v0h99MFDGX9AXlFAd6XoXsdNm1xxywPfKiXSeecCUpi_Fsol3o8x0VEAz3EnjOkwq2q5mDoQm7mXjNeIV_8QMDyvvOfTbCUy3fkozWsLco7qmjfvERoLpUZWaMil79YGCefuHXlBkWLxYV9fkOc7r83liaTc5mfpe-DUswLT2BB_TkdoPFMX3Jg5muNy1iGnaGUbgIeLQa4jQFnB1tVXwnfKYL_y-EuEbOvGQg-wI3TCBwTq7Mra0uL8VvURRCEFk_3zO4ZeArouy820kwXpMrzmxALFFzS2DiYVOxqbYfgpBVJG4W1GbBaCCyTb3CU6zi68zLylkfF8JUzVDRUUyc_G85m9B0gDXKWur6lOr_uV5QvBtkRG3BlYSqPj_QMOsMcuhHNuueq5qAa26SKUAzLCY3NzJsuPsgfQq2KhBP47Rp3ivN6OvvXKxByQof88WBkQTCUkC39j8ndM52Ko-cC87oqepcmS9Hwiipbg9Hgvp-Kcv6Q=w1176-h924-no

I am really tempted to cross to Vancouver Island and do the Port Albernie Road again. I am going to do 99 ....that red twistie coming in to Vancouver on the left. Simply one of the best motorcycle roads I've ever ridden.

If I do that - visit friend in Vancouver and then hop over to Port Victoria Island. Might be a fun 3 day jaunt and come back on the more northern ferry then back to Salmon Arm ( just above Vernon to the east of Kamloops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom