Jack and jack stand recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jack and jack stand recommendations

Jinster81

Banned
Hey all. I'm in need of some jack and jack stands that can do most midsize cars and minivans.
I need something that is of good quality and last long. I did search the crappy tire but kinda sketchy on those 'motomaster' stuff. Most of you mc'ers are avid DIYers, so got some recommends for a good jack and stands? Thanks in advance!!

Depends....if you pay $60 you can get a jack + axle stands that are half decent, 2-1/4 TON with 5 TON axle stands.

Or pay $150 for a mid grade aluminium jack...+ axle stands.

Axle stands are almost all the same, focus on the jack.

I have a motormaster 2-1/4" ton jack that i've used to lift 4000-4500LBS truck (way over its limit) but it works OK now.

I have a motormaster 2-1/4" ton jack that i've used to lift 4000-4500LBS truck (way over its limit) but it works OK now.

I wouldn't recommend that. I've always had a phobia of being crushed under my car. Then again, I'm always about safety.

I had a motomaster for over 6yrs now, still useable.
I have this jack. It works quite well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html

I have seen it for sale at Crappy Tire (same jack, different brand name) for $99 occasionally. Jack stands are jack stands. Princess Auto when they're on sale. 2-ton stands are plenty for passenger vehicles.

I bought one of those on Wednesday. I payed $60 for it. Had a coupon, lol. Cant wait to try it. My car is a bit low, thats why I bought it.

That aluminum jack is easy to carry. A steel jack of the same capacity would be quite heavy.

^^ I have something similar....low profile, quick pump, wide rubber pad and twist handle for locking unlocking the pump, AND its got padded lever so when the lever goes back to vertical it doesnt scratch your car.

I bought it for $100 from CostCo a few years ago and its been great trouble free. For jacks i use CT ratcheting height ones...work good.

just to add i had a cheapy cheapy CT jack before and the car shifted while raised and the whole jack twisted and collapsed. NEVER buy stamped sheet metal parts for load carrying if you can afford something better. as wide of a stance as possible with freerolling wheels that will roll with the car and not catch and allow the jack to tip.

Last edited:
just to add i had a cheapy cheapy CT jack before and the car shifted while raised and the whole jack twisted and collapsed. NEVER buy stamped sheet metal parts for load carrying if you can afford something better. as wide of a stance as possible with freerolling wheels that will roll with the car and not catch and allow the jack to tip.

Did u chock the wheels?

I normally put stands and chock the wheels just in case. I don;t want to die by crushed organs and suffocation

Thanks all for the recommends, once I recover from the holiday spending, will go and see what you guys recommended.

yes it was chocked. the issue was that as the jack raises the wheels are supposed to move under it to compensate for the movement. the puny small wheels didnt move and the whole jacket pivoted. the stamped steel was not designed to hold weight in that plane and buckled.

make sure what ever jack you get has enough lift. some cars with clearance underneath are a pain because you run out of lift before you get a tire off the ground.
I couldn't agree more. My Jeep has larger tires and a lift and the jack I use is more than adequate to get the tires off the ground. When I bought it, it was a package deal with stands. I can't remember what I paid.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ichelin+3½-ton+Speedy+Lift+Jack.jsp?locale=en

Edit: Be VERY careful if you get a hi-lift or similar type of jack.

Last edited:
^^ I have something similar....low profile, quick pump, wide rubber pad and twist handle for locking unlocking the pump, AND its got padded lever so when the lever goes back to vertical it doesnt scratch your car.

I bought it for $100 from CostCo a few years ago and its been great trouble free. For jacks i use CT ratcheting height ones...work good.

That's what I have ...a cheap motomaster jack...and mine also moved while lifting the vehicle....its made out of stamped steel.

Its a POS, but it still works and was cheap......

Back
Top Bottom