Is the KLR replacement out yet? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the KLR replacement out yet?

:rolleyes:

••••••••

You won’t be buying a bike that does everything well for $6000.

No bike does everything well.....yet the newly deceased KLR650 did many things reasonably well at a very decent price point - even touring the world and wallowing along off pavement without needing a motor that needs to spin at 6k+

Once more - this is not about a dual sport ....it's about an ADV and despite your snark people have voted with their wallets as value for money for the CB500x for 6 years.....and voted with their dollars to dinars for the KLR650 for 30 years.
If BMW and Honda can offer in the $6-7 range. So can Kawi.

Last edited:
ADV's spend most of there time on the blacktop
a thumper would appeal to some buyers
but not most of today's ADV riders

I say if a replacement comes at all
it's gonna be a 650-700 parallel twin
hopefully not just a Versys with laced wheels

I think then it becomes a "me too" machine - none of the heritage of the KLR650. There is nothing wrong with moving more to the off pavement ADV as Honda just did with the CB500x. Kawi could take a step further.
I tell you, that BMW310GS is very appealing except for the lack of ooomph.

If I was in Australia full time I'd likely have one but my off pavement is declining so quickly that I'd likely just get a CB500x here as well. But 350 lb REALLLLLLY appeals with that feature set ....as does the low seat height.

I'm guessing once Kawi sells out the KLR inventory (which could be a while), it will stay alive forever as a cult bike. There are tons of them out there, they go forever and they are cheap to fix. Anyone who wants one should be able to pickup a new or near new specimen for a few years.
Oh ...tell that to Honda. CB500x is certainly uptodate and under $8k and Honda has a premium edge. Kawa could come in at $6k

$5999 brand new 2018 Honda CB 500X ABS | Sport Bikes | Ottawa | Kijiji
To be fair, the CB500x had a 2019 model change, the $6k bikes are leftover 2018 bikes. Leftovers are tough to sell after a bike is updated, hence the heavy discount. A 2019 CB500x is $8500 + tax.

My 2018 brand new was $7600 and I got $500 on sale.

same as the 2019
$7,599

and they have the 2018 for $6399 brand new
CB500X
Starting from
$7,399

MSRP

$1,000

SAVINGS
$6,399

YOUR PRICE

CB500X > Honda Canada's Adventure Motorcycle

I agree there will be quite a few years of KLRs around but I still think Kawi will want to capitalize on the popularity,.

:rolleyes:

••••••••

No bike does everything well.....yet the newly deceased KLR650 did many things reasonably well at a very decent price point - even touring the world and wallowing along off pavement without needing a motor that needs to spin at 6k+

Once more - this is not about a dual sport ....it's about an ADV and despite your snark people have voted with their wallets as value for money for the CB500x for 6 years.....and voted with their dollars to dinars for the KLR650 for 30 years.
If BMW and Honda can offer in the $6-7 range. So can Kawi.

Sorry not trying to be snarky. I guess I don’t really understand what you want then. One post you mention being able to fall over without damage while weighing 300 pounds (dual sport) and another post suggesting Kawi start with their 450 motocross engine which is a high strung race engine and tame it down for the street (think CRF450L).

Doesn’t Kawi already make a decent light weight adventure bike in a Versys 300? The weight is close to your more recent target weight, makes okay power, and light off-road capable at a good price point. Suspension could be better but at a price point something has to give.

I guess with the current offerings on the market I don’t really see a need for new KLR. Regardless of what you want to spend there is a lot of good options out there in road bikes that can go off road from time to time, that was more my point.

Has little to do with what I want tho I will want a repacement for my KLR a ways out....question is what will Kawi do to replace it..and this conversation is going on all over thumper land.
300 is simply too small to tour with tho the low weight is nice. KLR650 is an ADV bike with a slightly better off pavement capability and not much creature comfort compared to a Vstrom for instance.
Kawi is not likely to go to a dual sport like the 700 Tenere as the market is small and price point high.

"On Adventure Rider there's a Canadian Guy who bought a Royal Enfield Himalayan. He seems to like it, and says he paid $6500 + tax, so there's a low $$ option."
Definitely something I'd look at IF they had a dealer network. :(

Agreed. At the bike show I guess it was the importer who had the Enfields, the Chinese made SWM dual sport and (I think) the Urals. Sales would be better if there was a place to buy them.

Norton did the same a few years back. They had a display at the show, but no bikes at the dealers, that I was aware of anyways.

My 2018 brand new was $7600 and I got $500 on sale.

same as the 2019
$7,599

and they have the 2018 for $6399 brand new

CB500X > Honda Canada's Adventure Motorcycle

I agree there will be quite a few years of KLRs around but I still think Kawi will want to capitalize on the popularity,.
Not happening now on the 2019 CB500X. I was kicking tires at my local Honda house, the lowest they're going with 2019's is $8350 (includes frt)+ PDI+ tax, and those bikes have to be ordered for late may delivery.

Made in Italy. The importer/dealer is Old Vintage Cranks.

Thanks for the importer name.

From an article on Canada Motoguide: "The Italian-based manufacturer was originally in business between 1971 and 1984, but was revived in 2014 by Chinese manufacturing giant Shineray. Now, SWM sells bikes built around the made-in-Italy Husqvarna designs that went out of production when KTM’s Stefan Pierer bought that brand from BMW."
Here’s the pricing on the 2018 SWM lineup | Canada Moto Guide

Has little to do with what I want tho I will want a repacement for my KLR a ways out....question is what will Kawi do to replace it..and this conversation is going on all over thumper land.
300 is simply too small to tour with tho the low weight is nice. KLR650 is an ADV bike with a slightly better off pavement capability and not much creature comfort compared to a Vstrom for instance.
Kawi is not likely to go to a dual sport like the 700 Tenere as the market is small and price point high.
I kinda like the little Versys. I did some touring on a Ninja 250 a few years back and it was fine - not as comfortable as my ST, but after 6-800km days I can't say I was in any sort of discomfort. The ergos on the Versys are a bit better, as is the element protection and power - I'm happy with a top speed of 160 and comfortable cruising speed of 120.

Sure it's no rocket, but it can tour comfortably. I'd argue that it's an economical alternative to a CB500x and a reasonable replacement for most KLR riders.

Thanks for the importer name.

From an article on Canada Motoguide: "The Italian-based manufacturer was originally in business between 1971 and 1984, but was revived in 2014 by Chinese manufacturing giant Shineray. Now, SWM sells bikes built around the made-in-Italy Husqvarna designs that went out of production when KTM’s Stefan Pierer bought that brand from BMW."
Here’s the pricing on the 2018 SWM lineup | Canada Moto Guide

I learn something new everyday. I've read several articles about SWM. The one you've quoted is the first I've seen with a reference to Shineray. Even the Old Vintage Cranks site screams "Made in Italy!".

via Tapatalk

I learn something new everyday. I've read several articles about SWM. The one you've quoted is the first I've seen with a reference to Shineray. Even the Old Vintage Cranks site screams "Made in Italy!".

via Tapatalk
The swm factory is in Italy, Shineray owns them. All manufacturing and assembly is in Italy with the exception of certain parts (plastics, levers, etc) sourced from China.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom