Is no ABS a deal breaker on a first bike? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is no ABS a deal breaker on a first bike?

There is "BOOK" for cars and light trucks
The Kelly Blue book is retail prices, that Kelly maintains and MOT subscribes to.
They also have a "black" book which is wholesale prices.
No one has a "book" for motorcycles, or snowmobiles, or travel trailers... and so on.
MOT DOES keep track of prices reported on sales and maintains their own data base of prices on motorcycles, snowmobiles and travel trailers,
Soooooo as long as you're not TOO far off the MOT average; nobody cares. If you are in the low or high 10-20 percentile; questions may be asked and letters may be sent

There is "BOOK" for cars and light trucks
The Kelly Blue book is retail prices, that Kelly maintains and MOT subscribes to.
They also have a "black" book which is wholesale prices.
No one has a "book" for motorcycles, or snowmobiles, or travel trailers... and so on.
MOT DOES keep track of prices reported on sales and maintains their own data base of prices on motorcycles, snowmobiles and travel trailers,
Soooooo as long as you're not TOO far off the MOT average; nobody cares. If you are in the low or high 10-20 percentile; questions may be asked and letters may be sent
There is a book for RVs and motorcycles it is just not used by the MTO

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Thanks. And I have experience dirt biking not riding on the road. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna look at a bike with abs now. I’m going to look at the cb 300f this Friday however I like the sporty look for the ninja 300 better. I have a question I’m not sure if anyone knows, when I register a car in Ontario I have to pay the book price. Is there a book price for motorcycles? Or do I just pay what the bill of sale says (aka write a lower amount) thanks

Service Ontario will use the number from a bill of sale.

Use what will pass the sniff test. If the bike is recently purchased and typically thousands, claiming a $100 might raise a flag.

If it’s an older bike entry level bike, you can claim a purchase price for a small amount and say you had work done to make it road worthy.

I just purchased a used bike. It’s 21 years old and most at the Service Ontario won’t know what it is so, I’m claiming a low amount for the purchase.

Why we have to pay tax on a previously owned vehicle makes no sense to me. The government re: the people, already got paid for the initial purchase so, I avoid it when prudent.

Won’t go to lengths of tax evasion that risks jail time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. I’m going to look at the cb 300f this Friday however I like the sporty look for the ninja 300 better.
looks are over rated - the upright seating is safer and lets you do some distance to better roads in Pennsylvania when the border opens.. My son gave up on his SV650s due to ergos.

This is a useful site.
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at Jul, 7    2021    1.03.50 PM.jpg1625627182099.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at Jul, 7    2021    1.09.44 PM.jpg
Y'know an FZ6 in your price range if you can swing the insurance.
1625627714224.png
nother one

More likely a 5 year bike for you than the 300s and good thrills without being overpowered for new rider.

Last edited:
Pulling all that tupperware off to fix things underneath grows old really fast.
Not sure which has an advantage, but the CB300F looks like it has less to remove.

I was eyeing my bike for a couple of years at a time 15 years ago when ABS was just starting to become generally available. The bike was fuel injected and so that box of a "must have requirement" was ticked but it did not have ABS. I figured any safety feature that could be built into a bike is a must have, as bikes need every bit of safety feature that is out there.

As soon as ABS became available I jumped and bought the bike and haven't regretted it since. In the rain it's just there silently in the background in case I need it (so far I haven't needed it). You don't expect disaster (or I would give up riding), only plan for it just in case.

I have not had a single bike with ABS. I would not know the difference until I experienced it. Knowing that. It has never been a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Excellent. I added a windscreen and doing 3-400 km ...5-6 hours 3 days a week. I hesitated on a top case but bit the bullet and love it.
It's a very enjoyable ride
Nice! Congratulations! Ride safe and enjoy!
Excellent. I added a windscreen and doing 3-400 km ...5-6 hours 3 days a week. I hesitated on a top case but bit the bullet and love it.
It's a very enjoyable ride.
I plan on adding a wind screen next!

When I had my CBR250 I had the 3 case setup with GIVI hard luggage. The practicality, security, and space couldn’t be beat. Highly recommend. Not cheap…but makes a huge difference in the usability of the bike.

Side cases are a bit of a pain in the city. a 39Liter topcase and 20-27 liter tank bag covers most trips.
You can always add a tail bag as well.
1627326354246.png

I use a small 7liter tank bag ( below ) for local trips and holds my cameras tho wish it was a bit larger -
however it fits in the topcase so easy to lock away.
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at Jul, 3    2021    3.59.29 AM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom