Is my bike ok? Got rear ended! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is my bike ok? Got rear ended!

jay-d

Site Supporter
I'm waiting in line at Costco gas, and the cars in front start moving. Before I can release the clutch and proceed, I got hit from behind! The impact nudged me forward about a foot or so, it was like a tap on my rear tire, but enough to jolt the bike forward and my back bent backwards a bit.

Bike stalled, didn't fall over or anything, but I'm curious if there's anything I should check for? Bike is brand new and it hurts my soul. I checked if the rear rim was true still by spinning it on the centre stand and it looked ok. I rode the bike home (only 5 min away) and now it's parked.

The best part? The guy didn't even have insurance. I recorded the whole conversation after the accident, and even got him saying he doesn't have insurance.

I just want to know if it's ok to ride, even to the mechanic, but what kind of damage could a 5km/h hit cause?

If it were me, I'd be calling my insurance company, but only after getting his driver's license and maybe the contacts of any witnesses to ensure they find you not-at-fault. Then have the bike inspected by a shop that knows what they're doing. My friend's MT-09 got rear-ended and it looked like it was repairable, but it was a write-off. Granted, yours sound pretty minor, but better safe than sorry.

That's frustrating. Like Relax said, the likelihood of major damage in the hit you described is low but not zero. If you have enough on video to ensure you are 100% not at fault, I would contact insurance and get them to tow bike to shop to get checked over. Downside of this approach is we don't have diminished value coverage here and that incident will show up on vehicle history so on second thought, it may not be worth it. I would also be going to collision reporting centre with evidence. F that guy. Driving without insurance and sucking at it too. He needs to be off the road.

Now, if I backed the bike into something at 5 km/h and it didn't fall over, I would do a visual inspection for straight/true/broken bits, likely not find anything and keep riding.

Try COSTCO to see if they keep records and ask them for a video of the hit so you can have actual evidence that you're not at fault. If you can get that you have more options to support your case.

I would report this to your insurance, and also to the collision reporting center (needs to be within 24h or so?).

In addition, I'd go to the police department locally and file a report as well with all the information provided to them about the driver, car, and their lack of insurance.

Remember, the bike is only one aspect of the issue...your body was pushed forward unexpectedly. Your spine, neck, and muscles weren't prepared for it, and could cause you issues later. The report is more to support your healthcare case than the minor impact to the bike.

Since everyone is going towards Report and Insurance... I'll go the other way.
You got lightly tapped and rear tire absorbed the shock. The bike probably gets worse going over some potholes. It's almost assuredly fine.

I was tapped once, exactly the same at a stop sign. She wasn't looking in front of her but rather at the oncoming traffic. She said "I thought you had already gone through". She got a stern lecture from me that she is in control of where her car goes, and it's her responsibility not to hit things.
After making her wait while I "inspected" my bike (I knew it was fine), we departed with her feeling very sorry.

Aside from ego and a sense of "making someone pay", is there anything really to be gained by pursuing all these formal steps?
I say ride on, and find a way to accept that the world is full of A-holes.

Aside from ego and a sense of "making someone pay", is there anything really to be gained by pursuing all these formal steps?
I say ride on, and find a way to accept that the world is full of A-holes.
Getting the uninsured bad driver off the road is a big victory. We all pay for aholes like that. I have no problem with them footing the bill for their stupidity.

Minor bump without tipping over ordinarily is a non-issue. Getting an uninsured driver off the roads ... is a much bigger issue. F that guy. Report it at a collision reporting center (now if not sooner) and see what they say. Under ordinary circumstances, this wouldn't be a reportable collision, but uninsured driver might be something they're interested in.

You might get a new tire out of the deal. I would consider that a win. If nothing comes of it, carry on with life.

Getting the uninsured bad driver off the road is a big victory. We all pay for aholes like that. I have no problem with them footing the bill for their stupidity.

Minor bump without tipping over ordinarily is a non-issue. Getting an uninsured driver off the roads ... is a much bigger issue. F that guy. Report it at a collision reporting center (now if not sooner) and see what they say. Under ordinary circumstances, this wouldn't be a reportable collision, but uninsured driver might be something they're interested in.

You might get a new tire out of the deal. I would consider that a win. If nothing comes of it, carry on with life.
Genuinely curious what risk an uninsured driver presents to the rest of us, generally.
Other than feeling like someone is getting away with breaking the law, what other financial risk is there to the rest of us?
We already pay for mandatory no-fault insurance with uninsured driver coverage. The risk lies entirely with the uninsured to pay the price of fines, license suspension, and future insurance costs.
Is it mostly because they are the types that drive like they have nothing to lose?

Genuinely curious what risk an uninsured driver presents to the rest of us, generally.
Other than feeling like someone is getting away with breaking the law, what other financial risk is there to the rest of us?
We already pay for mandatory no-fault insurance with uninsured driver coverage. The risk lies entirely with the uninsured to pay the price of fines, license suspension, and future insurance costs.
Is it mostly because they are the types that drive like they have nothing to lose?
Less uninsured drivers on the road equals lower uninsured premiums for the rest of us (theoretically).

Uninsured also have a bigger incentive to run as they are looking at a mandatory $5K+. If someone hits me, I would hope they try to help save me instead of speeding away. Obviously that wasn't an issue in this case but it was pretty clear that collision was minor and it's not that easy to make a quick escape in a jammed costco gas station.

we departed with her feeling very sorry.
The only thing she was sorry for was getting caught, nothing else...
While I actually agree with much of your post, I would report the person driving without insurance, Like other have said F that guy, can't afford insurance, you should not be driving.. period...

I'm in the camp of calling the cops and getting the uninsured asshat off the road (at least temporarily until he get into another car). Uninsured and unlicensed (or suspended) seems to go hand in hand. It's hard to fathom how someone who is uninsured wouldn't be extra careful not to do anything to draw attention onto themselves, like hitting another vehicle.

Thanks for the different perspectives everyone. I've decided not to report it, I got back from the docs and he says everything is ok, but wants me to get x-rays. I feel ok though, will see if anything changes when the x-rays come in.

Got my bike checked out as well, rim is bent, so needs new rim/tire just to be safe. Maybe rear sprocket but won't know for sure until the rear wheel is removed.

I sent the quote to the uninsured so he has until tonight to send money, or call the bike shop and pay for the quote. If he backs out, then I'll throw the law book at him!

I also told the driver that he needs to get insurance and show proof of it. His suggestion was to wait a day, let him get insurance and then say the accident happened tomorrow so we can go through insurance. I flat out told him that's fraud and no chance I'll do that.

Thanks for the different perspectives everyone. I've decided not to report it, I got back from the docs and he says everything is ok, but wants me to get x-rays. I feel ok though, will see if anything changes when the x-rays come in.

Got my bike checked out as well, rim is bent, so needs new rim/tire just to be safe. Maybe rear sprocket but won't know for sure until the rear wheel is removed.

I sent the quote to the uninsured so he has until tonight to send money, or call the bike shop and pay for the quote. If he backs out, then I'll throw the law book at him!

I also told the driver that he needs to get insurance and show proof of it. His suggestion was to wait a day, let him get insurance and then say the accident happened tomorrow so we can go through insurance. I flat out told him that's fraud and no chance I'll do that.
A rim and tire are 700? Get ready to be ghosted.

Why are you worried about fraud when you know this person is driving with no insurance?

A rim and tire are 700? Get ready to be ghosted.
I'd be shocked if it was that low. Parts should be more than that and you have labour for the inspection and swap.

EDIT:
Since he's not going through insurance, if OP wanted to transfer the liability for potentially undiagnosed issues with their bike or body is to ask for way more money. Something like $4k is still cheaper than the ticket if the crasher doesn't want to play along. I'm not advocating for this approach as I still thing the crasher should get the ticket but some people may choose to take money over justice.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if it was that low. Parts should be more than that and you have labour for the inspection and swap.
$1500, rim alone is $700, about $300 for the tire, inspection was $130, and then labour to install rim/tire, another $150, and then lovely taxes!

Oh, that sucks, must have been a harder hit than what I assumed from your first description.
Now that true damage and $$$ is involved, yeah you gotta report it in order for your own insurance to cover it without dinging you.
Sucks :(

$1500, rim alone is $700, about $300 for the tire, inspection was $130, and then labour to install rim/tire, another $150, and then lovely taxes!

I hope it doesn't happen but get ready for it

clydeeghost.png

Back
Top Bottom