Iron Butt 1000 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron Butt 1000

C109Knight

On 24th Aug, 2019, Saturday, 7 of us completed the Iron Butt 1000 i.e 1600 kms run. Toronto---Quebec City....Toronto. Our final mileage around 1720 +- kms.

We were supposed to start at 4.00 am, but due to various reasons, we started around 4.45 AM. We reached Quebec City at 2:00 pm despite a 45min traffic delay on Route 30. From there it has just the run home, so our stops became a bit longer. But still we reached back home by 2:00 AM.

It was an amazing run, Highway all the way. We went with the flow of the traffic, and while going kept our stops to 10-15 mins max. None of us felt too tired to quit the ride.

Now, what is left is to submit the paper work to the Iron Butt Association.

Attachments

• ironbutt1.jpeg
    ironbutt1.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 92
On 24th Aug, 2019, Saturday, 7 of us completed the Iron Butt 1000 i.e 1600 kms run. Toronto---Quebec City....Toronto. Our final mileage around 1720 +- kms.

We were supposed to start at 4.00 am, but due to various reasons, we started around 4.45 AM. We reached Quebec City at 2:00 pm despite a 45min traffic delay on Route 30. From there it has just the run home, so our stops became a bit longer. But still we reached back home by 2:00 AM.

It was an amazing run, Highway all the way. We went with the flow of the traffic, and while going kept our stops to 10-15 mins max. None of us felt too tired to quit the ride.

Now, what is left is to submit the paper work to the Iron Butt Association.
someone did it on an FZ09! Booya!

Now that i think about it, i did meet someone who rode his FZ09 from GTA to Vancouver, he said he hooked his ankles around the passenger pegs and superman'd it across the plains lol.

Congrats that's awesome! I remember I did one a few years ago with some riders from GTAM. Toronto to just outside of NYC (you could see the buildings) and back in November...way too cold!

Congrats that's awesome! I remember I did one a few years ago with some riders from GTAM. Toronto to just outside of NYC (you could see the buildings) and back in November...way too cold!
That's great. Our team is already planning for Bun Burner next riding season. If September is good this year, we might do in September.

O
Congrats!!. That's a big group for an IBA run.
Originally, we were supposed to be around 15, some got bike problems, one bike got stolen, two riders fell sick, one had a marriage to attend and so on, but overall we enjoyed it. No one was dead tired, in fact we could have done 300 to 400 kms more. That is why our team wants to try Bun Burner 1500

O

Originally, we were supposed to be around 15, some got bike problems, one bike got stolen, two riders fell sick, one had a marriage to attend and so on, but overall we enjoyed it. No one was dead tired, in fact we could have done 300 to 400 kms more. That is why our team wants to try Bun Burner 1500
I'd love to do a bun burner but not on the Rebel 500....that seat is garbage after 2hrs. Even with the AirHawk.

Here's our thread, just found it....Nov 4th: (Cold) Iron Butt
Nice, you had some nice suggestions there. We limited our breaks while going to Quebec City, One run for 150-160 kms, then 80kms run. Maximum break time was 10 mins. We started around 4.45am and we reached Quebec City at 2.00 pm, including 45 mins wasted in a traffic jam on Route 30.

While coming back, we did 150-160km between stops, but our stops were longer as we were sure that we will make it back with a few hours to spare. We covered around 1700 kms, in 21 hours. Eat very light, drink lots of water, follow the high traffic speed (no need to go crazy), make your stops organized and quick while reaching half way point....these are some of the things we followed.

Nice, you had some nice suggestions there. We limited our breaks while going to Quebec City, One run for 150-160 kms, then 80kms run. Maximum break time was 10 mins. We started around 4.45am and we reached Quebec City at 2.00 pm, including 45 mins wasted in a traffic jam on Route 30.

While coming back, we did 150-160km between stops, but our stops were longer as we were sure that we will make it back with a few hours to spare. We covered around 1700 kms, in 21 hours. Eat very light, drink lots of water, follow the high traffic speed (no need to go crazy), make your stops organized and quick while reaching half way point....these are some of the things we followed.
Yup...the stops are the killer. We decided on going South as it would help keep us warmer so that definitely helped. And the route down to NY was way more entertaining/scenic then the 401. But it's simple and it works.
What route are you guys thinking for the 1500?

Long ride. I've done about 1,000 km in just over 12 hours a couple of times and the thought of another 6 -7 hours in the saddle, minimum, not really that pleasant for me.

Congrats. I did 1900KM in 21 hours when I did mine - I contemplated going the extra 100KM and getting the Ontario-specific 2000KM IBA certification instead, but meh...it was only about 5 degrees for the last few hundred KM and I'd had enough - as I was coming up on my exit the thought of jumping in my hot tub 15 minutes later was too much to resist. The Ontario2000 also didn't count as the required prerequisite towards some of the other bigger IBA runs, even though it's actually more mileage then some of those which do quality.

Pretty sure 2 friends and myself accidentally did a BB1500 this summer on one of our rides, but I never thought to log things until it was too late - the BB1500 is actually very easy to accomplish - watch the clock carefully on your fuel stops and you actually have time for a decent chunk of sleep in the middle of it all..

The Bun Burner Gold is actually what I want to do next - 1500 miles in 24 hours, not 36 for the regular Bun Burner.

Almost all (except 1 or 2) of my riding buddies think I'm nuts, but endurance riding turns my crank.

You certainly are a Hardcore Rider. We have one just like you. Right now, he is in Alaska, he left his Harley Street Glide here and took his Honda Silverwing Scooter. Till now, he has traveled over 9000 kms in 15 days. I think by the time he is back in Toronto, he would have done over 18000 kms.

Regarding the Bun Burner 1500, we are planning to do Cabot trail next year, I was thinking to incorporate this during that ride. From now, if I am travelling long distance, I am going to save the fuel receipts, just in case...

Congrats. I did 1900KM in 21 hours when I did mine - I contemplated going the extra 100KM and getting the Ontario-specific 2000KM IBA certification instead, but meh...it was only about 5 degrees for the last few hundred KM and I'd had enough - as I was coming up on my exit the thought of jumping in my hot tub 15 minutes later was too much to resist. The Ontario2000 also didn't count as the required prerequisite towards some of the other bigger IBA runs, even though it's actually more mileage then some of those which do quality.

Pretty sure 2 friends and myself accidentally did a BB1500 this summer on one of our rides, but I never thought to log things until it was too late - the BB1500 is actually very easy to accomplish - watch the clock carefully on your fuel stops and you actually have time for a decent chunk of sleep in the middle of it all..

The Bun Burner Gold is actually what I want to do next - 1500 miles in 24 hours, not 36 for the regular Bun Burner.

Almost all (except 1 or 2) of my riding buddies think I'm nuts, but endurance riding turns my crank.

Yup...the stops are the killer. We decided on going South as it would help keep us warmer so that definitely helped. And the route down to NY was way more entertaining/scenic then the 401. But it's simple and it works.
What route are you guys thinking for the 1500?
May be to Cabot Trail, we might attempt it while going there.

What kind of highway speeds?

When riding long distances I don't even get off the bike for fuel stops anymore - less temptation to get distracted or whatever that way unless there's a reason to need to get off - bathroom, coffee, or food.

When I did my aforementioned SS1000 with another very hardcore riding buddy we actually ate on the move as well - I packed sandwiches in a tank bag and it worked well. The longest we actually stopped the entire trip was about 15 minutes in Sault Ste Marie to grab a coffee and both use the bathroom.

Yeah yeah, I know the safety implications of eating while riding, I certainly don't make a habit out of it...but a sandwich cut in half's is pretty easily manageable. I wasn't trying to balance a three course meal on my tank or anything. ;)

I did the electronic submission on the IBA site so I documented everything extremely well and also had Spotwalla (a GPS tracking app that is recognized and recommened by the IBA) running on a separate phone in my saddlebags. The Spotwalla tracking link is actually still valid, I just checked. Iron Butt

It was interesting to see exactly how far off my bikes odometer was off over the entire trip. Here was my beginning and ending mileages according to my odometer:

IMG_5694 (1).jpg

And during the IBA cert application I had to calculate the exact same trip by Google Maps for the "Calculated" mileage - it came out to 1798KM give or take a few KM for our fuel stops and such, so my bikes odometer over that distance was actually ~110KM optimistic over 1800KM.

It goes to show you exactly how far off some bikes speedo's can actually be.

My bike has been pretty busy since then LOL. ;)

80Kodo.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom