Nov 4th: (Cold) Iron Butt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nov 4th: (Cold) Iron Butt

DrX

Hi all: I am just trying to figure out if anyone would be interested in wrapping up the season with a big ride - 1600 km.

I plan to follow the steps outlined by the Iron Butt Association (http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1). If we complete sticking to these steps, we can get a nice Iron Butt plate holder, pin/patch and a certificate for $45 - for those who like to brag:)

I would like to start on Sunday, November 4th @ 6 AM (Kennedy Commons plaza, there is Tim's and gas station where we can get the start forms witnessed). I will not post the map here, but the major places I plan to hit are: Kingston, Ottawa, Maniwaki, Rouyn-Noranda (this is the apex of the loop), North Bay, Barrie and back to Kennedy Commons. The total is just a few kms over the 1600 km, which qualifies the ride for Iron Butt. Long term forecast predicts +3 to +8 Celsius and sunny in all the cities. Also, I am totally not opposed to other routes or starting/ending places.

In case the weather changes, I also have an alternative trip around the great lakes, but I want to avoid going to the US.

If you do the math right it will be about 16-18 hrs with short breaks every ~250 km (to fill up, empty and stretch). If every break is about 20 minutes we are looking at 2 hrs in breaks and about 16 hrs riding at the right speed (wink wink).

All you need are:
- reliable bike
- warm/rain gear
- iron butt
- smile

I do not want to do it by myself this late in the season (yeah, I am a wimp). If there is no one else to go with me this year, I will postpone it to next season.

Crap, I would love to do that. Working that Sunday though:(

If you are at all interested in this (leading up to the day), or if want to know what you are missing (common, get your **** together; quit your job, buy your wife that diamond ring, or your husband that tool set....or whatever) you can follow my blog:
http://areyounutsandisyourbuttmandeofiron.blogspot.ca/

I will try to keep it up as frequently as I can. Mainly pix as I suck typing with my thumbs, especially once they get cold and numb;)

Adam

I'll think about it.

if I can give my bike a good look over and check everything before that date, and i have the money for cash, I'll try to tag along. I don't think I have anything else to do on that day.

Depending on weather I'd be interested. What's your definition of the 'right' speed?

Awesome! I have CAA+ so we can always switch seats if s*** happens along the way:) Keep us in the loop.

....depends on you definition of a "rider". If you are wearing the blue, it is 100 km/h on 401 series and 80-90 otherwise, unless specified by signs. If you are not wearing the blue .... I'll PM you, but nothing in excess of 120 km/h. It is a long ride ... do you know that story of tortoise and rabbit? If you want to survive 1600 km/24 hrs you are the tortoise.

PS I am a "beaches_polak"

Hmmm interested if my bandit will be ready. Thinking of southern route using interstate.

....depends on you definition of a "rider". If you are wearing the blue, it is 100 km/h on 401 series and 80-90 otherwise, unless specified by signs. If you are not wearing the blue .... I'll PM you, but nothing in excess of 120 km/h. It is a long ride ... do you know that story of tortoise and rabbit? If you want to survive 1600 km/24 hrs you are the tortoise.

PS I am a "beaches_polak"

Well at those speeds the cbr will be able to keep up for sure! So I'm definitely interested. I'll pm you.

Hey crew: So Mimico_polak had an awesome suggestion. Since its gotta be done in 24-hrs we may as well take advantage of the 6 hours we are not riding! The idea is that we start Sat evening, get 4-5 K done (in the dark), crush for 6 hrs and start early Sun morning to finish off the 20k +\- 1. I'll cover 1 room in a hotel if you promise not to piss in the plant holders.

A

+1. any excess speed beyond 120 will drain you out both physically and mentally fast. The Ironbutt is an endurance ride.

Lessons I've learned from my last ironbutt:
- keep the group small, like really small like 3 people
- gotta know how many km's you can squeeze out of a full tank of gas
- plan your route with gas stations mapped out. The Ontario's Enroute service station is space approx 85-90km along 401
- take turns leading the pack. makes it less boring. The 3 of us rotated for lead throughout the journey
- the only breaks you should be taking are for gas. while filling up, you do your bio breaks as well. Maintain discipline and stay focus
- do not ever eat a full meal. Our group had 3 riders including myself. Everytime we stopped, we would buy one sandwich and one drink and split it 3 ways
- have the right gear for warmth and rain
- spare nuts & bolts, twist ties and tire patch kit to get you out of a jam
- CAA membership. also the group has to come to an agreement that if something is to happen, will you abandon the ironbutt? or whoever's good to go will keep going and leave the odd man behind?
- have some sour candies to help you stay alert
- for your destination, ensure there's a hot tub. Hot tub works wonders

Make sure you have a printed receipt at every gas station stop. Bring a ziploc bag with you to keep them dry :)

There's absolutely no room to be a hero. If weather condition goes to hell, abandon and get the achievement another day.

All the best with the ironbutt. Ride safe.

This is gold!

Try to abstain from coffee or any stimulant starting now. Coffee works wonders if your body is not immune to it.

When is the go no go decision? Weather looks clear right now but obviously that may change 5 more times before the weekend.

So far it seems that SV1000, minico_polak, djez are in. Frost and EC2010, maybe?

The weather looks promising, but it is a moving target. Let's make a final decision by Friday morning.

I was wandering if everyone would be ok with going through US? Just an idea - the temperatures are 5-10C warmer if we were to go around the lakes (Toledo, cleveland, buffalo, Rochester, Kingston - 1640km).

I would like to call you guys to chat about the logistics. I have sv1000 and djez's phone numbers already. I'll call you tonight. In response to EC2010's excellent points I think we should have a conversation about sharing tools, gear etc. , as well as how we will work as a team (leading the group, speed, breaks), how we will deal with potential emergencies, and most importantly how would we deal with a decision to abandon the trip for whoever reason.

I've no problem with going to the us but border delays can really hurt the chance of making the distance in the time alloted. Anyway ill pm you my number.

Yeah, and there is the issue of health insurance (for the riders), and dealing with bike repairs/towing. I kinda feel safer on Canadian grounds. But I have very little experience riding in the US do maybe I am making the problem bigger than it should be.

We can play it by ear.

I will pass on doing another ironbutt till I get my validation and plates from them ;)

As for travel insurance, please make sure you have coverage (either through work or pay-as-you-go) when you cross border for the unexpected. My last PA trip, I purchased a 2day coverage for $25 which covers air ambulance - peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom