iPad 3 just released | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

iPad 3 just released

More is better.

iPad has more of everything. More power, more screen, more developer support, more content support, more apps, more more more.

And at $520. Boom.

There is no way anyone needs more than 1080p on a tablet unless you're looking at it from a distance of a few inches from your face.. Id be more interested in the contrast, sharpness and refresh rate then going for some super high resolution, just isn't necessary in screen that size. That being said I'm sure the retina display looks incredible as it does in my iPhone4 but then again the iPad2 looked good as well.

Are people seriously complaining about 0.6mm?? ****, I wish they made it even thicker have you seen how thin the iPad2 already is? I don't understand why people want their electronics to be paper thin, it gets to the point where its cumbersome to hold when its too thin and obviously durability goes down. It's not like you will be sticking your ipad in your pocket, I like my electronics to have some substance and weight like the iPhone.

I don't really have much use for a tablet, other than viewing CAD drawings in the field, but the iPad would be the only thing I would consider. iOS is still way better and more user friendly than android, i'v used both the asus transformer and the iPad 2 and the android just doesn't feel as intuitive when it comes to software not to mention more developer support for iOS.

Actually, I put my IPad2 in my pocket.:booty:

I don't really have much use for a tablet, other than viewing CAD drawings in the field, but the iPad would be the only thing I would consider. iOS is still way better and more user friendly than android, i'v used both the asus transformer and the iPad 2 and the android just doesn't feel as intuitive when it comes to software not to mention more developer support for iOS.

Very true that Android isn't as intuitive but you also have to remember that Android 1.0 only made it's debut in 2008. It's just 2012, so in three years, it's come a long way.

iOS has been around hell of a lot longer.

One thing that Apple has the upper hand on is hardware and software development. Since Apple controls both, their drivers mesh flawlessly with the software and make it a very fast and intuitive interface which is known to be super smooth. Since Android OS is open source, anyone can use the software and create their own hardware. This causes driver issues if the manufacturer didn't spend as much time on meshing everything together.

That's why I suggest to people to only pick up Nexus devices as these devices are designed and developed by Google through hardware partnerships. The first Nexus One device was HTC, then Samsung has the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus. So if you want to compare apples to apples, Nexus devices versus iPhone devices.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is really a greatly improved OS, it's up there with iOS and actually introduced many new features that Apple will copy. A great example is pull down notifications; that's been on Android since 1.0 and Apple just introduced it in their latest OS.

I'll throw in my 2cents for what its worth.

Apple do make nice products. No doubt there. When I first saw the iTouch I was amazed at how slick it was. They have continued to refine their touch screen tech and sure, its great stuff. Some people were speculating through that the new iPad may use that Senseg technology which gives the touchscreen texture based on the type of content you touch... If they came out with something like that, I'd say game over.. But they didn't and my gripe with Apple with this release is they put a lot of hype into it (as usual) and the results were fairly modest upgrades that any tablet maker could do..

This is why I don't buy Apple - this is just my perspective.

1. Their products are overpriced, margins are way high especially given their previous manufacturing arrangement with Foxcon. I feel like you are paying a premium for Apple because its become somewhat of a "prestige" brand. Nothing bad about that, but its just not for me. I am a no frills, value for money type shopper. Some might say "Im cheap".

2. Apple is a successful marketing machine (to their credit) but I can't help but feel like they are treating consumers like sheep. I just get a sense that because they are in such a powerful position that they have effectively brainwashed many (not all) of their customers to the point that they are telling them what they should like and what they need to buy. Im sure many companies would love to be able to do that but the fact Apple is successful doing that just turns me off. They talk of being leaders of the "Post PC era" and that is just total nonsense as PC's can do everything and a whole lot more than any tablet can so the fact Apple is trying to convince people that PC's are a dying breed which is just flat out total BS that I refuse to entertain.. Its really just an indirect attack on Microsoft seeing how just about every PC is running MSFT software.

3. I don't like the idea of such a closed environment with Apple software. I understand why they do it - so many of their customers don't get themselves into trouble but its not for me.

Oh yeah, a couple of you guys were complementing Apple for only releasing an upgrade once per year vs Samsung who release new products every other day.

So are you saying you prefer to be rationed new technology once per year rather than having innovation come out whenever its ready? That you don't like the idea of frequent new releases because it somehow cheapens the product you bought because that product does not stay "current tech" as long?

Thats sort of silly isnt it. Shouldn't you buy a product because it provides you with some benefit and utility?? Does that benefit/utility change just because something more current comes out?? Or does this mean that you are just the type that wants the latest and greatest all the time and maybe that is your real motivation to upgrade?

For me, I like lots of options. I'll admit samsung have a lot of overlapping products but it just leaves you with more opportunity to find the right match to suit your needs.

Youre wrong about 2 things tosh.

NO other manufacturer could get that screen. Only Apple buys enough to be able to make it possible. They invested BILLIONS into manufacturing in order to get these high res screens. Nobody else couldve done it and thats a fact.

Secondly, theyre not overpriced. The reason it took forever for competitive products to come out was because the others couldnt price their products competitively. This is a fact and well published. The iPad is cheap.

Twice the screen resolution and processing/graphics power for the same price sounds good to me.

And now the ipad2 is $100 cheaper to boot. Another win for Apple.

Was the screen easy to clean after you jerked off on it?

Maybe Samsung and LG should stop developing screens for APPLE. BTW...most of the processors and boards in the iPad are Samsung.

NO other manufacturer could get that screen. Only Apple buys enough to be able to make it possible. They invested BILLIONS into manufacturing in order to get these high res screens. Nobody else couldve done it and thats a fact.

Secondly, theyre not overpriced. The reason it took forever for competitive products to come out was because the others couldnt price their products competitively. This is a fact and well published. The iPad is cheap.

Maybe Samsung and LG should stop developing screens for APPLE. BTW...most of the processors and boards in the iPad are Samsung.

Yeah thats a good business decision, get rid of your biggest customer. :rolleyes:

They probably make 10x more money from supplying Apple than selling their own competing consumer electronics.

Apple outsources their manufacturing don't they? Or did they stop doing that and now manufacture everything in the US of A? Im not so convinced that they are the only ones to be able to make a screen like that. I do not know that as fact and you never know whats in the pipeline with other manufacturers. My eyes cant even tell the difference betwen 720p and 1080p so Im not likely going to see the difference with this new screen either..

If you are going to read a post, you should read the whole thing, including the part where I say "this is just my perspective".... You telling me the iPad is not overpriced, does not mean its not overpriced to me. I did not say "it is absolete fact that the iPad is overpriced and anybody who thinks otherwise is incorrect"

I just think its overpriced to me and it does not fit my budget but I think Unico canned tomatoes at a price of 1.27 per 28oz can is overpriced so there is no sense trying to argue.

Apple outsources their manufacturing don't they? Or did they stop doing that and now manufacture everything in the US of A? Im not so convinced that they are the only ones to be able to make a screen like that. I do not know that as fact and you never know whats in the pipeline with other manufacturers. My eyes cant even tell the difference betwen 720p and 1080p so Im not likely going to see the difference with this new screen either..

If you are going to read a post, you should read the whole thing, including the part where I say "this is just my perspective".... You telling me the iPad is not overpriced, does not mean its not overpriced to me. I did not say "it is absolete fact that the iPad is overpriced and anybody who thinks otherwise is incorrect"

I just think its overpriced to me and it does not fit my budget but I think Unico canned tomatoes at a price of 1.27 per 28oz can is overpriced so there is no sense trying to argue.

When I say its not overpriced I mean that from a market and production perspective. Apple is the only company making a profit on tablets, because they move a large enough volume. The other manufacturers couldnt build theirs cheap enough, this was well published. Its not an "opinion".

Same goes for the screens. Sharp was supposed to be a supplier but they couldnt produce enough numbers at a good enough quality. This too was well published- look up IGZO panels.

Trust me, Apple was the only company moving enough product to make these displays a reality. They invested billions into display manufacturers including Sharp, look it up. Apple wields an incredibly big stick in the industry, they make these advancements possible from a production standpoint and thats a fact. Everyone benefits.

You will see a difference in the resolution when using the device for non-moving images. For moving images, you're right.

When I say its not overpriced I mean that from a market and production perspective. Apple is the only company making a profit on tablets, because they move a large enough volume. The other manufacturers couldnt build theirs cheap enough, this was well published. Its not an "opinion".

Same goes for the screens. Sharp was supposed to be a supplier but they couldnt produce enough numbers at a good enough quality. This too was well published- look up IGZO panels.

Trust me, Apple was the only company moving enough product to make these displays a reality. They invested billions into display manufacturers including Sharp, look it up. Apple wields an incredibly big stick in the industry, they make these advancements possible from a production standpoint and thats a fact. Everyone benefits.

I make no claims about fact nor do I ever try because I do not know the facts but I'd be willing to bet that your statement: "Apple is the only company making a profit on tablets, because they move a large enough volume" is false.

A quick google search brought me to this page which is from late 2010 but relatively speaking I think holds merit, where they do a tear down and compare the cost of components in the Samsung galaxy vs iPad.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...ll-of-Materials-iSuppli-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

The sum of parts on the Samsung is less than the iPad. You could then make a case that the cost of innovation is less for Samsung since they are just copying the iPad. but that is probably squashed because they may need to license some IP to put in their product. Actual manufacturing costs, I dont know but its probably in the same ballpark between the two companies.

When I visit future shop, a 16GB galaxy with 4g/wifi is $650. Somehow I think they are making money on that.

I understand your argument if you are talking about the price slashed playbook with a disclosed cost of $204 per unit or whatever it was but there are generic cheapo tablets like the "E-pad" that sells for $100 and are probably making money. I don't know fact here but I don't really think you do either.

It took them 2 years to get a competitively priced product on the market which is exactly my point. Apple paved the way.

Just like in a year from now other manufacturers will be able to get similar screens in their devices. Apple made the production possible at the pricepoint.

It took them 2 years to get a competitively priced product on the market which is exactly my point. Apple paved the way.

Just like in a year from now other manufacturers will be able to get similar screens in their devices. Apple made the production possible at the pricepoint.

are you joking or just ignorant

Back
Top Bottom