insurance claim question | GTAMotorcycle.com

insurance claim question

kellen

Site Supporter
if your car gets written off, can you get a payout for the gas that was in the tank

I JUST ****IN' BOUGHT THAT **** YESTERDAY SON

****'s worth more than yo rims

No, syphon and 100 litre tank with you?

if you have the receipt....

Worry about all the beer in the trunk first!

if your car gets written off, can you get a payout for the gas that was in the tank

I JUST ****IN' BOUGHT THAT **** YESTERDAY SON

****'s worth more than yo rims

Wow, that's a level of cheapness I've never seen before. I thought stealing 6" wads of napkins from fast food joints was bad.

Wow, that's a level of cheapness I've never seen before. I thought stealing 6" wads of napkins from fast food joints was bad.

In some trucks and cars a full tank is well over 100 bucks... thats not cheapness really...

But yeah you can get paid out for the gas, if you can prove the tank was full. The wrecking yard is required to drain it out so you cant really get it back.

The other fluids generally dont cost 100 dollars, but yes, if you just spent money the day before making repairs or getting fluids changed, you can claim those as well.

Whats the dollar value cutoff for you before claiming something makes you cheap? If 100 bucks isnt a big deal for you, can I have 100 dollars? Thats a lot of money for me and could buy everything i require to live for one week.

I mean, my fridge broke last week and it took my landlord 6 days to fix it. Im going to take 100 dollars off my rent because thats how much money i lost in spoiled food. Does that make me cheap? Not really I dont think. I lost 100 dollars worth of food through no fault of my own, and it could have been prevented if they had fixed my fridge in 1 day rather than 6. I consider it the same thing if someone smashed into my giant truck and wrote it off with 100 dollars of fuel in the tank. I just lost 100 dollars through no fault of my own, I deserve to be compensated for that.

I would say $500 is the point where it would matter to me. No you cannot have $100 of my money, you presumably are able bodied and have employment. If I were to give away money it would be to a deserving charity of my choosing.

My point is don't get hung up on stuff like $100 worth of fuel, its not worth worrying about in my opinion. The OP didn't even say how much fuel is in the tank so anything above $20 is pure speculation. If you had to buy a tank and a hose or a syphon pump that alone could be worth more than whatever fuel is in the tank.

25L Gasoline can $16.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/GasCans/PRDOVR~0283053P/25L%252BGas%252BCan.jsp?locale=en
Fuel Pump/Syphon $21.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/GasCans/PRDOVR~0283009P/Deluxe%252BPump.jsp?locale=en
Sub-total: $39.98
HST 13% $5.67
Total: $44.04

See it probably isn't even worth the cost of the equipment.

I would say $500 is the point where it would matter to me. No you cannot have $100 of my money, you presumably are able bodied and have employment. If I were to give away money it would be to a deserving charity of my choosing.

My point is don't get hung up on stuff like $100 worth of fuel, its not worth worrying about in my opinion. The OP didn't even say how much fuel is in the tank so anything above $20 is pure speculation. If you had to buy a tank and a hose or a syphon pump that alone could be worth more than whatever fuel is in the tank.

25L Gasoline can $16.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/GasCans/PRDOVR~0283053P/25L%252BGas%252BCan.jsp?locale=en
Fuel Pump/Syphon $21.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/GasCans/PRDOVR~0283009P/Deluxe%252BPump.jsp?locale=en
Sub-total: $39.98
HST 13% $5.67
Total: $44.04

See it probably isn't even worth the cost of the equipment.

would you be willing to give $100 to ride for sight? http://bit.ly/fSFuC3

I do have a job and i make money but apparently 100 dollars isnt a lot to you. It still is to me. Even if i had a million dollars, 100 dollars would be a lot. If my car got written off, id expect to be compensated for it. Even if i literally was pulling out of a gas station after having put 20 bucks in it, id want my 20 bucks back. Thats what insurance is for, isnt it???

You can leave as much money on the table as you want, i dont care. But someone isnt cheap for wanting to get what they pay for, 5 dollars or 100 dollars or 1000 dollars.

And btw you cant siphon fluids out of your wrecked vehicle. The tow company drains it as soon as it gets to the lot, for safety reasons. So your point about it costing 40 dollars to get your gas back is moot, you cant get it back that way.

I do have a job and i make money but apparently 100 dollars isnt a lot to you. It still is to me. Even if i had a million dollars, 100 dollars would be a lot. If my car got written off, id expect to be compensated for it. Even if i literally was pulling out of a gas station after having put 20 bucks in it, id want my 20 bucks back. Thats what insurance is for, isnt it???

You can leave as much money on the table as you want, i dont care. But someone isnt cheap for wanting to get what they pay for, 5 dollars or 100 dollars or 1000 dollars.

And btw you cant siphon fluids out of your wrecked vehicle. The tow company drains it as soon as it gets to the lot, for safety reasons. So your point about it costing 40 dollars to get your gas back is moot, you cant get it back that way.

Higher and more frequent payouts cost the policy holder and the motoring public far more than whatever fuel the OP wants to claim. The mentality of "I deserve compensation" is partly the reason why vehicle owners continue to see premium increases. I'm aware that it is SOP for auto wreckers to drain fluids after the car reaches the yard, its common knowledge.

would you be willing to give $100 to ride for sight? http://bit.ly/fSFuC3

While I believe it is a worthy cause, I plan instead to do a donation to Wounded Warriors prior to the ride. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?139308-Heroes-Highway-Ride-June-4th-2011-Support-Our-Troops!

So your advice is... to pay more but not take the money youre owed when the time comes for an insurance payout? Great advice.

If i have full coverage, i am entitled to be paid fully for the value of my vehicle, including any fluid or items inside of it that are covered by my insurance policy. If someone smashes into me, i am entitled that money just the same because now i am out a certain amount of dollars through no fault of my own. That is what insurance is for. You give them money every month so that in the event something happens, they reimburse you for whatever you lost at the agreed upon values. Theres no mentality here except the mentality of i get what i pay for. Again, if you want to leave money on the table here, go for it, I dont care. But its stupid and its bad advice to tell someone else to do the same thing, or to berate them for asking what they are rightfully owed.

So your advice is... to pay more but not take the money youre owed when the time comes for an insurance payout? Great advice.

If i have full coverage, i am entitled to be paid fully for the value of my vehicle, including any fluid or items inside of it that are covered by my insurance policy. If someone smashes into me, i am entitled that money just the same because now i am out a certain amount of dollars through no fault of my own. That is what insurance is for. You give them money every month so that in the event something happens, they reimburse you for whatever you lost at the agreed upon values. Theres no mentality here except the mentality of i get what i pay for. Again, if you want to leave money on the table here, go for it, I dont care. But its stupid and its bad advice to tell someone else to do the same thing, or to berate them for asking what they are rightfully owed.

Show me where I said pay more get less.

I simply indicated that people seem to think its no big deal to make a claim. I know differently. One way or another when you make a claim you end up paying for it. If you write off a vehicle and or people get injured in the process the insurance is there for a reason. But counting the pennies on inconsequential items is a waste of energy.

Next you'll tell me if you just installed a new oil filter that you should ask for that back too.

Who are you to tell someone what's bad advice and what's good advice? All you have is an opinion which in its basic form is just a biased point of view. If anyone here is guilty of berating anyone its you.

Last edited:
sundancekid said:

sundancekid said:
Why stop at the fuel, ask for all of the other fluids back too! It's like selling a house to someone and taking all of the light bulbs when you move!

Ok.

WOW is right.
You were joking but look at the replies. These people think that maintenance items are covered by insurance.

I've said it before: These people spend a lot of money on insurance BUT still have no idea what they're buying... then they come to GTAM to complain about it.

Ask the adjuster, my guess is they will give you the $100 for the fuel by giving you $100 less for the car...

If the car is worth over 5K I really wouldn't bother, there are many more variables to be worried about. As the value of the vehicle itself approaches 0 then I would get more picky about these minor items.

Back
Top Bottom