Increased hwy speed limit | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Increased hwy speed limit

They need to change the laws to make it an easy ticket. Right now, I think the closest they have is "impeding the flow of traffic", but that one is easy to beat it court if you were going at the maximum legal speed. Many people feel better about themselves by personally enforcing laws they believe in and don't realize they are humongous d-bags that make the roads more dangerous for everybody.

I tried using the QEW HOV lanes last Sunday but the regular lanes were moving faster because of a dodo going exactly at the limit in the HOV lane.

I hope their plan is to sneak up to a 120kph limit. Otherwise 110 must be some sort of joke or bait-and-switch.

I heard over the news a while ago that with the raised limit to 110 they would be revising the stunt driving to be 40 over. So 150 max on highways, but that also means 40 over max on city streets.

I heard over the news a while ago that with the raised limit to 110 they would be revising the stunt driving to be 40 over. So 150 max on highways, but that also means 40 over max on city streets.

It appears that it will be rewritten to be (a) 50 over posted limit, or (b) over 150 km/h.

This is part of why riding in Europe is an absolute pleasure. Especially when riding the alps, those speed limits do not mess around. I'm a seasoned rider and I found myself going well below the speed limit at times and still flying at a pretty good pace. I few times I tried to keep up to the speed limit through the curves and I had to let off.

The mentality is great, ride or drive within your limits. If you can safely go faster... enjoy.

Germany, Austria are diligent about road signage (and ensuring that speed limits are appropriate). Some of the other european countries - Italy is the one I have experience with - not so much; they have plenty of rural roads with arbitrary (low) speed limits. And ... German and Austrian drivers for the most part diligently follow the rules (which make sense). Italians ignore them; speed limits only apply to Italian drivers when passing a speed camera.

Germany, Austria are diligent about road signage (and ensuring that speed limits are appropriate). Some of the other european countries - Italy is the one I have experience with - not so much; they have plenty of rural roads with arbitrary (low) speed limits. And ... German and Austrian drivers for the most part diligently follow the rules (which make sense). Italians ignore them; speed limits only apply to Italian drivers when passing a speed camera.
ever watch 44 teeth on youtube? Guy got caught speeding in Austria, something like $300 euro fine and banned for driving in Switzerland for a few years.

Doesn't make sense that he would be caught in Austria and banned in Switzerland ... (Switzerland isn't even part of the EU)

Switzerland has lots of speed cameras, the tolerance is 3 km/h, and fines are huge. But, the speed limits generally make sense.

Some speeding fines in Scandinavian countries are income dependant. I think the highest fines in the world have been in Finland or Norway.

Italians are just impatient. They may think they are good drivers on the whole but they cause issues too. Roundabouts work well in Europe unless there’s lots of Italians about in which case they are useless.

The 44teeth video is this one and he was banned for 3 months from driving in Switzerland and fined 4000 Swiss Francs which is approx 5300 in CDN $ and had to pay on the spot since he was a foreigner and it was for 144 KM/H in an 80 zone. If he was Swiss and not from the UK it would have been much worse a 2 month license suspension and possible jail time plus the bike gets auctioned off with all the money going back to the state.

The 44teeth video is this one and he was banned for 3 months from driving in Switzerland and fined 4000 Swiss Francs which is approx 5300 in CDN $ and had to pay on the spot since he was a foreigner and it was for 144 KM/H in an 80 zone. If he was Swiss and not from the UK it would have been much worse a 2 month license suspension and possible jail time plus the bike gets auctioned off with all the money going back to the state.

That is intense... the zero alcohol can get you in a lot of trouble if you had a beer over lunch, something I did a day or two while taking in the views on a hot sunny day in the alps, something I didn't even think about at the time.

Either way don't let this vid deter you from visiting Switzerland on a bike... they are the highest mountain passes in the alps, and unforgettable to witness and ride. Going 144 in an 80 means these guys were going pretty damn quick (and they look pretty hypocritical when they start criticizing other riders for speeding during their post ticket conversation – I actually thought they were joking at first).

Rent an adventure bike and you'll have less of a desire to tear up the roads, plus realize that the faster you speed the less time you'll have to soak up the views which seem to get better and better around every turn.

Go to Google Maps and look up Andermatt, Switzerland. It's surrounded by mountain passes in every direction. Grimsel ... Susten ... Furka ... San Gottard (be sure to take the old road, not the motorway/tunnel) ... Oberalp ... San Bernardino is not far away.

Look around a bit: Google Maps

Go to Google Maps and look up Andermatt, Switzerland. It's surrounded by mountain passes in every direction. Grimsel ... Susten ... Furka ... San Gottard (be sure to take the old road, not the motorway/tunnel) ... Oberalp ... San Bernardino is not far away.

Look around a bit: Google Maps

Very familiar with Andermatt, been there twice and rode the grimsel , furka And san gottard. Missed the susten because it was closed due to snow fall unfortunately.

Is andermatt where they were stopped?

Do you guys rent bikes in Europe or fly your own there?

Rented. 2012 it was outside England, and in 2013 it was in Munich, Germany. There are so many places that rent unlike here. A lot of motorcycle dealerships rent out their new bikes, that's what happened in 2013 with the Triumphs we rented.

Back
Top Bottom