In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

@Rockerguy..."contraceptive bike?" Are you serious??? Broads aren't comfortable riding on the pussy pad of your Gixxer! So, if you're just going for a 10-15 minute ride your supersport may be just fine. However the TRex is a comfortable ride for longer jaunts and even 2 up touring. And, wouldn't you want your girlfriend to arrive painfree without having to do a half hour of yoga to strech out before you can stretch her out in other ways? Plus, the Trex comes standard equipped with the pussy magnet option! :D
Lol, I guess I don't frequent this thread. Missed this post.

Who does 15 min ride on their SS? I've done so many 8hr days on the gixxer. I've done 8 consecutive 7hr days in a row, lol

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I am glad that the people, who have the big scooters enjoy them. They don't interest me as I already have an ATV. And I am not about to start a thread about my bike, in case people are are wondering.

somewhat tongue in cheek from the Burgman site but holds true for many of the Burgman 650 riders..it just tends to get ridden a lot even when other bikes are around....

Am I ruined for life? Sell my other bikes?
What is with those wicked Burgmans? What evil against other kinds of two-wheelers do they possess?

After only 6 months of ownership why is it that I climb over my other wonderfully worthy motorcycles to ride that wretched 650 Burgman?? I mean, sure, I take the other bikes out for a ride- rode the PC800 almost 400 miles over the weekend- but as a general rule I will go right past the GL1800, the PC800 or even my fun to putt around on KLR and take off on my Burgman. Why is that?

People will tell you that inanimate objects have no feelings and are therefore incapable of giving anyone the "evil eye" but I beg to differ. If I do not keep my gaze diverted whenever I go out in the garage to get something as soon as my eyes land on the Burgman I find it taking over my previous thought process and in a matter of seconds I am taking it out for a ride. And I wasn't even planning on it!

Is there any kind of remedy for this malady? Sure, I mean I could ride the other bikes more than I do, but that evil Burgman is always putting a spell on me and making me ride it now. What am I to do? Help me someone!!!

The day I got my first one - a rider pulled up on another at the Forks and I picked his brain.
He had 17 other bikes ( he was in the business for decades ) yet his daily ride was the 650 between somewhere near the Forks and Guelph. Was reassuring to hear his views.

•••

This thread is just a single spot to keep the growing trend in big scoots in view for those that are not aware of them as I wasn't.

In Europe 250 and up scoots far out number motorcycles which often look out of place.
Even the cops ride the Burgmans in some areas - good storage, low CoG and stable plus big brakes.

The 200 Burgman is coming to North America and will offer for Ontario an insurance cost effective ride that is hellishly easy in traffic, good storage and will do moderate highway speeds.

ABS - top notch commuter

2014-Suzuki-Burgman-200-8.jpg

Top speed is 120-130 kph tho I imagine getting above 110 in a headwind might take some work with all the weather protection.
Still that is what a CVT does best ...get the most our of a small power plant.
If the price comes in right might tempt a few on to two wheels especially given our archaic insurance costs/rates.

Last edited:
Hi all, new here! Saw this thread and had to join in.

Burgmans are the bomb! And scooters in general, too. I rode MCs for 20 years before I discovered them and now ride them exclusively. And yes I had "real" motorcycles, like a Honda ST1100 and such. I've ridden everything from a 50 moped to a 1600 Harley, and scooters are just more fun and every bit as capable. Their list of attributes is long.

low CG, the engine and fuel are carried in the floorboards. Comfort, laid back, feet up, lounge chair ergos. Protection, floorboards, full fairings & windshields. Storage, the Burgman 400 has 16 gallons in the under seat trunk; I shop with the BIG shopping carts at the grocery store. Handling, with the low CG, I can hang with ANY bike in the twisties, except sport bikes, and usually blow away the cruisers.

Power, ah the Achilles Heal of scooter... Not! The Burgman 650 has it in spades. Okay, it's not going to win any sportbike races, but, when paired with its excellent electronically controlled CVT, you are ALWAYS in the perfect gear to wring out every last ounce of power from the very smooth engine. You really don't need much more than a 650 when you have a perfect power delivery system of a ECCVT.

And the autotranny allows you to concentrated on riding, not shifting. Just twist and go, perfect every time.

High speed, triple digits on the 650, over 90 on the 400.

Touring? Its not a GW, but the 650 will lumber along at highway speeds all day long, 4500 rpm in overdrive; Quite comfortably with that cushy seat, backrest, and feet-forward seating position. With the autotranny, its perfect for long distance riding.

One aspect, most MCist don't consider is the rear brake. For many, its not much more than a brick you stomp on when there is a sandy patch. But on a scooter set up, the rear brake is on your left hand, which is MUCH more dexterous than your booted foot. It is so much easier to fine-tune your ride, whether in the twisties or in heavy traffic, you can make little corrections to keep you out of danger without the suspension compression and lack of maneuverability the fronts impose. Also, as an exMC guy, I ALWAYS am covering the rear brake as its just like clutch leaver. I always have a brake at my disposal at a slit second. I often find that I've braked with the rears before I have a chance to react otherwise in a dangerous situation. The rear brake is indispensable and can be taken advantage of very easily on a scooter.

By their nature, scooters are exercises in compromise; they don't do any one thing brilliantly. I'll admit that... But they do EVERYTHING really, really well. All in one, relatively inexpensive, practical and most of all, fun-to-ride package.

So don't feel like buying a scooter is somehow less, somehow below a MC. No, they are very capable machines, and in some instances, even more so.

Last edited:
Hello all - new to this forum, but wanted to add my 2-cents about mega-scooters. I have been riding for over 20 years. Bikes varying from Bandits, Katanas, GSXRs, and cruisers of all sizes, metric and otherwise (even a Honda Elite 150 scooter back in the '80s). Due to a work injury last year, the damage to my left foot has made it difficult for me to comfortably execute shifts on a typical motorcycle. So, with reluctance, I sold my baby: my 2003 Vulcan 1500 Nomad FI. I really do miss her, but this also began my search for an alternative to keep me on two wheels. Hence, my discovery of the Burgman 650, and several owners groups/forums. I took the plunge last week, and as many had warned me, I just may never go back to a "regular" motorcycle again. So allow me to repeat my post from BurgmanUSA.com:

I picked up my shiny blue new-to-me 2005 Burgman 650 this past Saturday. It actually had 14,700km on it, not the Kijiji-advertised 9200. The seller said he meant miles in the classified ad, which is weird, as it is a Canadian model, with metric instrumentation and confirmed VIN. However, he didn't STATE miles in the ad, so I argued for a couple hundred more off the price before I would ride it away. Either he gave in, or I was hopping back in the car that drove me there. He gave in. All-in-all, I got a good deal, and am satisfied.

The seller lives about 2 hours from me, and I chose a route back that would take me through some nice countryside roads, as well as a brief blast on a major highway, so I could experience the scoot in many situations. For those of you that might know the area, I started in Kitchener, up through Erin, Caledon, Orangeville, Hockley, etc. In any case, as some of you posted in this thread, and many more posts that I read here on this site and others predicted, I am amazed with this bike. Call it a scooter, bike, whatever you want; it is so smooth and powerful that I had to stop a few blocks away from my starting point and just stand by the curb and stare at it in amazement. Nothing could have prepared me for just how well this package is put together.

Remember that I am coming off a 1500cc v-twin cruiser: not much power, but LOTS of torque. Never had an issue with lack of pull, or out on the highway. But the Burgman feels like it could literally run circles around my Vulcan. However, the most impressive thing about the Burgie is the way it rides at freeway speeds. No buzzing, not strained at all, still decent passing power left in reserve, even at 120km/h +. Simply amazing! It was difficult at times to rein my speed in, the scoot easily cruising well above posted limits. If I didn't pay attention, I'd constantly be 15-25km above where I should be. Something to get used to, but impressive all the same.

My first addition will be one of those windscreen spoilers I have seen folks talk about on various forums. The large Givi screen on this Burgie is pretty good, leaving my eye-line about 2 inches above the top of the screen. However, there is some buffeting, particularly above 100km/h. I hope the MRA X-Creen Touring Spoiler will get rid of that - looks like a decent product, so I ordered one up this afternoon (and received it next day from aviciouiscycle.ca). Addition #2 will be the Corbin Tall seat. I may be only 6-feet tall, but I really found that I was a little bit cramped. Would love another 2 to 4-inches of room. But this one will have to wait until my budget allows.

Overall, I am simply blown away. Really, it's not something you can adequately describe to another rider until they hop on and try it out for themselves. Finally, I see what all of 'those scooter people' have been raving about. In honour of my previous Vulcan 1500 Nomad, which was my dream bike (I still look at pictures and sigh), I am naming my Burgman 'The Nomad', and I hope to be wandering many miles this season astride her. See you out there!

Did Mac Doc bend your arm to do this?

Of course.....just to even the numbers a bit ;)
We ain't in Barcelona where the diehard minority are the gear clunkers :D

But I didn't write the post - Bruzzer did and I said join up and post it up. He's a local anyways...make him welcome....quit being gnarly codgers....your toe sore from shifting????

Besides - there is good info on this forum for the Burgman riders from BUSA that tour and tour and tour......one is up to 170,000 km on his.

Last edited:
Of course.....just to even the numbers a bit ;)
We ain't in Barcelona where the diehard minority are the gear clunkers :D

But I didn't write the post - Bruzzer did and I said join up and post it up. He's a local anyways...make him welcome....quit being gnarly codgers....your toe sore from shifting????

Besides - there is good info on this forum for the Burgman riders from BUSA that tour and tour and tour......one is up to 170,000 km on his.

I actually enjoy shifting, that's why I still have my bike. In fact I enjoy shifting so much my car is manual transmission.

Just because you love your scoot doesn't mean every Tom Dick & Harry will. But go ahead this is your thread

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Dude, it's GTAM, what did you expect?

Scooter pic, on the dragon no less.....

7.jpg

I know scooters are easy to ride, but riding ***** behind your dog? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the shifting argument. I never ever get a sore foot from shifting, or am concentrating on what gear I am in while riding, be it in town, highways or twisties, just shift when needed, you can feel it without even looking at the rpms.

I would fall asleep if I weren't shifting. Got a rental car a few years ago, I was bored out of my mind. One leg & 1 arm was doing nothing

I know scooters are easy to ride, but riding ***** behind your dog? Lol

Actually the dog is on the tank, if it is the gas tank scooters and all, so I don't think it qualifies as biatch, this guy is riding biatch.....

dog-on-scooter.jpg

Actually the dog is on the tank, if it is the gas tank scooters and all, so I don't think it qualifies as biatch, this guy is riding biatch.....

dog-on-scooter.jpg

No two ways about it, he is the biatch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the shifting argument. I never ever get a sore foot from shifting, or am concentrating on what gear I am in while riding, be it in town, highways or twisties, just shift when needed, you can feel it without even looking at the rpms.

I have no gripe or issue with shifting. As I mentioned, a nasty injury to my left (shifting) foot at work last year has made it difficult, if not impossible, for me to comfortably shift for now. My post was really more about how surprised I am at how capable the Burgman is, and how I didn't miss shifting at all, after only a few minutes. Will I go back if I eventually heal further and regain more use of my foot? Not sure; I'll know better in the fall, after riding the Burgie all summer. But so far, I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Back
Top Bottom