Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Best port to import through

After spending a bit of time to import the bike (couldn't find a broker, so I had to take time off to do it myself) I found the friendliest place to cross into Canada was the Lewiston bridge. Detroit was nowhere near as friendly with everything on the bike and related paperwork. After running into that issue, I talked to people at Niagara, Lewiston and Fort Erie. Just thought I'd share in case anyone does that and has the option of where to go. Not only did I have no hassles that I did at the other ports with my bike, they filled in all the other paperwork for my other 3 vehicles still in the US that the other ports said I couldn't file for and would have to pay taxes on. (Because I didn't have the VIN numbers when I first crossed the boarder since I didn't have the vehicles with me.)

Overall, hands down I'd say it was a night and day experience and worth making sure you cross there. I talked to 5 different people at that one place and all seemed just as nice, so I assume it's just the work atmosphere there.

Hey what about if i were to import a frame from the states. Here's the situation..i want a frame and the papers that come with it..dealer doesnt ship to canada.. so i'm gonna ask him to ship to a friends house in the states..then drive down there and bring it to canada...so how would i tranfer the ownership to my name?? do i need to pay customs?? cuz i'm hoping to just sneek it by??..lol..how would it work?

suzuki_madness said:
Hey what about if i were to import a frame from the states. Here's the situation..i want a frame and the papers that come with it..dealer doesnt ship to canada.. so i'm gonna ask him to ship to a friends house in the states..then drive down there and bring it to canada...so how would i tranfer the ownership to my name?? do i need to pay customs?? cuz i'm hoping to just sneek it by??..lol..how would it work?

If you "sneak it by", then you won't be able to title the bike that you're rebuilding.

can someone explain to me..i want to buy a frame with papers off ebay from the us...how can i register it here? how does i work?

question How can I figure out what it is going to cost me to import a few ATV's im looking at 2 of them. they are both 2002's I know about the 182, but what about tax and duty?

RoadHogg said:
question How can I figure out what it is going to cost me to import a few ATV's im looking at 2 of them. they are both 2002's I know about the 182, but what about tax and duty?

Call 905-676-3640 or 905-676-3537 or 905-612-5416 request an online rating. Tell em what you are going to import and the value the item is in Canadian Dollars. They will be able to tell the amount you can expect to pay upon importation.

Great info here Nikki.

The price differentials on the new 06's are pretty crazy. Importing could become a nice option. I still haven't seen on this string (maybe I missed it) what the duty is for vehicles NOT manufactured in the U.S.... pretty much all sportbikes (or if there is an additional excise tax). Do you have any idea?
Also, who do the 905 phone numbers listed above belong to?

Thanks for the help!

jackthelad said:
Great info here Nikki.

The price differentials on the new 06's are pretty crazy. Importing could become a nice option. I still haven't seen on this string (maybe I missed it) what the duty is for vehicles NOT manufactured in the U.S.... pretty much all sportbikes (or if there is an additional excise tax).

Bikes NOT manufactured in the US are NON ADMISSIBLE to Canada unless they are 15 years or older.

jackthelad said:
Also, who do the 905 phone numbers listed above belong to?

Thanks for the help!

The numbers listed above are for CBSA Custom information at all 3 terminals in Pearson.

Bikes NOT manufactured in the US are NON ADMISSIBLE to Canada unless they are 15 years or older.

To clarify here, there is a distinction between manufactured and sold. A bike that is SOLD in the US but manufactured outside north america is admissable but subject to a duty at the border. Most Japanese sportbikes are manufactured in Japan but as long as they are bought in the US they are admissable.

However, a bike bought outside North America is not admissable unless it is 15 years old or more. (eg, you can't buy a bike in europe and bring it in.)

What I don't know yet is the applicable duty....

jackthelad said:

To clarify here, there is a distinction between manufactured and sold. A bike that is SOLD in the US but manufactured outside north america is admissable but subject to a duty at the border. Most Japanese sportbikes are manufactured in Japan but as long as they are bought in the US they are admissable.

However, a bike bought outside North America is not admissable unless it is 15 years old or more. (eg, you can't buy a bike in europe and bring it in.)

For the answer to the above question, you need to call the number that you asked about and ask for an online rating. Off the top of my head I don't know what if any duty is applicable.

For anyone interested...

After numerous phone calls to CBSA I have an answer...

There is definitely NO DUTY on motorcycles brought in from the U.S. (provided they are on RIV's list of admissable vehicles). So the total fees are just PST/GST, RIV fee and any mods.

For cars that are BOUGHT in the U.S. but MANUFACTURED outside of north america there is a 6.1% duty.

(out of interest, the border guy told me they're getting tons of cars getting imported because of the higher dollar)

salvage bikes

I called the local lic bureau and they said as long as my documentation is in order I can register a US "salvage" tiltle bike as long as it is safetied in Ontario.

has anyone done this??

I am looking at a 2001 BMWK1200lt...apparently there is no duty on it..I called the number Nikki supplied.

bought my Busa int he states earlier this summer.... a piece of cake!!! the most important thing is paper work and timing...specifically at the boarder. If they can read the ownership...they will not call and tell you....it is all up to you!!

They are very militant....all they know is what they know and they feel they are gods....and could care less about what you timimg is..

Other than that ....a piece of cake!!! i'm having a blast....eventhough Barna wheelied and smoke the Busa.

spinto said:
bought my Busa int he states earlier this summer.... a piece of cake!!! the most important thing is paper work and timing...specifically at the boarder. If they can read the ownership...they will not call and tell you....it is all up to you!!

They are very militant....all they know is what they know and they feel they are gods....and could care less about what you timimg is..

Hey Spinto...
Are you talking about the timing issues on the US or Canadian side? and what mods did you need to make for Canadian compliance, if any?

no mods to the bike... a letter from Suzuki US to verify all recalls, if any, have been satisfied......stuff like that. The timing issues are on the US side they will not help you understand the process...if your paper isnt to them correctly...their version of correct...you're pooched...can't cross the border...make sure you're clear about everything and all will be fine.

jackthelad said:

''

jackthelad is right on the fact that as long as the bike is sold in the US "for the US market" they are admissible.

There is no duty on motorcycles from any country though. The only thing owing at the border is the applicable RIV fee and the GST. For some reason duty does not apply to bikes as it does to cars and trucks.

Just another quick note, effective November 1, 2005 the RIV fee has been increased to $209CAD for all provinces exept for Quebec which is $224 CAD.

I was previously making posts on this topic under Pigeon's login as i didn't have my own then...

Re: salvage bikes

johnsa1 said:
I called the local lic bureau and they said as long as my documentation is in order I can register a US "salvage" tiltle bike as long as it is safetied in Ontario.

US salvage bikes and vehicles are admissible. Please note that the FORM 1 that is issued by Canada Customs has been changed. Customs is now required to fully specify the status of the vehicle and the condition of it. There is now a box that says "rebuilt" along with the previous boxes of "clear title" and "salvage".

Transport Canada is now also encouraging officers to make any additional comments on the form where they can find space such as "severely damaged" etc... Anything basically to give them a heads up about the actual condition of the vehicle being imported.

Most vehicles imported with Salvage or Rebuilt titles must now go through structural integrity tests. If they fail those tests the importer must export the vehicle immediately as it can never be licenced in Canada. They could possibly transfer it to a Form 3 and the vehicle would become a parts only vehicle and the VIN number would be destroyed on it and can never be used again.

Hope this helps...

Sandra

mods

I'm considering importing an 04 gsxr from the U.S. ......... would I need to change the speedo to make it legal in Ontario ? I don't know if GSXR speedos can convert back and forth from mph to kmph, and also are running lights standard on U.S. spec gsxr's ??? thanks in advance, Les

Re: mods

cheekeebandito said:
I'm considering importing an 04 gsxr from the U.S. ......... would I need to change the speedo to make it legal in Ontario ? I don't know if GSXR speedos can convert back and forth from mph to kmph, and also are running lights standard on U.S. spec gsxr's ??? thanks in advance, Les

Those are questions better answered by someone from the RIV. Check the links on the first page... Cuz frankly any answer I'd give you would be hearsay. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom