Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Endri said:
NinjaNikki said:
Endri said:
Hey, for Suzuki motorcycles on the list of admissible and inadmissible models/years, it says that all Suzuki's are admissible. Does this mean you can bring over any year of Suzuki or does the 15 year rule still apply? And if so, does a 1990 Suzuki fall under the 15 year rule?

Any year as long as you are importing from the United States...

Do you know if we can import 'Salvaged' bikes from the United States? Brand new, but salvaged.

Brand new meaning the bike would be a year 2004 or so.

No Duty on importation of vehicles

I can't remember if someone had answered the Duty question
In 2003 I imported a 1996 Eagle Talon Tsi from Brooklin New York and I didn't have to pay any duty.
Just GST and the boarder and PST and the vehicle registration center.

Re: No Duty on importation of vehicles

DataDime said:
In 2003 I imported a 1996 Eagle Talon Tsi from Brooklin New York and I didn't have to pay any duty.

There is no duty on vehicles manufactured in the United states. There is however a $100 luxury tax if the vehicle has A/C.

As for salvage bikes they can be imported but if you want it to be on the road you have to check the requirements for that with RIV or the ministry.

Re: No Duty on importation of vehicles

NinjaNikki said:
DataDime said:

There is no duty on vehicles manufactured in the United states. There is however a $100 luxury tax if the vehicle has A/C.

As for salvage bikes they can be imported but if you want it to be on the road you have to check the requirements for that with RIV or the ministry.

Thank you.

I am interested in shipping a salvage bike for track use only from the states. do i still have to jump through tese hoops since it will never see the road?

RRRRRRRR said:
I am interested in shipping a salvage bike for track use only from the states. do i still have to jump through tese hoops since it will never see the road?

Almost you don't have to do the RIV process but the Customs process including Duty&Taxes still applies... Also the title of the bike must say salvage on it.

bringing in a 1987 Ninja

Hey guys,

Got a lead on a sweet deal from a buddy of mine in New Hampshire (NH)... its a 1987 Kawasaki Ninja, but heres the deal... in NH, they dont require an ownership like we do... (something to do with the age of the vehicle)... BUT he is willing to provide a bill of sale (adequate for most transfers of ownership)...

Anyways, what do I need to do to get this bike into Canada? It has a clear title, (needs a bit o work), but I want to plate and drive it in Ontario.

Advise much needed very quickly as this deal won't last long for me.

Nites

Does anyone know who ships from Us to Canada to import?

Hi,

I'm new to the site so I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I'm trying to get my bike shipped from the US to Canada and the importing done during the process. Does anyone know of companies that do that? Everything I've found so far is for vacation purposes only and they won't ship it if it needs to be imported.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Re: Does anyone know who ships from Us to Canada to import?

RayPayne said:
Hi,

I'm new to the site so I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I'm trying to get my bike shipped from the US to Canada and the importing done during the process. Does anyone know of companies that do that? Everything I've found so far is for vacation purposes only and they won't ship it if it needs to be imported.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

The Customs Brokers named Livingston does this. look em up in the phone book as I don't have their info off hand.

NinjaNikki said:
The Customs Brokers named Livingston does this. look em up in the phone book as I don't have their info off hand.

They won't handle it because it's a personal vehicle. Thanks for the lead though. At this rate, I'm thinking of seeing if I can just bribe a friend or someone to do thr drive down there and back for $500 and just take it through that way. FedEx will do it, but the bike isn't worth that much to ship.

RayPayne said:
NinjaNikki said:

They won't handle it because it's a personal vehicle. Thanks for the lead though. At this rate, I'm thinking of seeing if I can just bribe a friend or someone to do thr drive down there and back for $500 and just take it through that way. FedEx will do it, but the bike isn't worth that much to ship.

Okay that's odd cuz they've got a whole pamphelt that they give out.

I'll do some research tonight and get back to you.

How to import a bike

This is invaluable. Read it, and RIV and your off to the races. Here's a bit about MY experience.

The bike, 1987 Kawasaki EX500
Function: Summer road fun (so licensed).

Well - for starters, New Hampshire does not issue titles on vehicles over 15 years old. A Bill of sale and verification of vehicle identification form needs to be provided to me from dude in New hampshire. He faxes them up to (I obtain the originals when I picked up the bike).
*72 business day hours (3 days)* prior to my picking up the bike, I faxed my paperwork down to Lewiston US Customs. Call about 1/2 hour later to verify they got it (they'll ask for the VIN). If they do, and its good and legible... you get to wait.

Drive down, usual questions at the border entering the USA, and off to New hampshire.

Picked up the bike, trailered it back to the border.

NOTE: You can only export a vehicle at:
A. Between 8am and 4pm business days. Another time and they will turn you around. This is mandated by US customs as Canada Customs requires a US Customs seal on your paperwork before letting the bike into Canada. Thus: Plan your trip back to work with this time schedule.
US Customs will ask for your paperwork and bill of sale. The US Customs part takes 5 minutes or so.
B. You can only export vehicles at certain exit/entry points. Lewiston bridge is one of them.
C. The place you sent the paperwork. Dont fax down to lewiston, and try and use Detroit to get back.

Head over the bridge (pay your toll), and stop into Canada Customs. They will ask for your paperwork and ID - check it out, and you get to pay some GST (on bikes over 15 years old - RIV rules don't apply). They will physically inspect the VIN against that of your paperwork.
They will give you some paperwork to boot for your registration of the bike.

Rest of it is run of the mill at the MTO. Just take all your paperwork with you.

I had a bit of a hitch with the no title thing - but I got through without much trouble.

There you go - I hope this helps you in yoru quest for a USA bike.

Nites

IMPORTING

Thinking of selling my 250 baecsue i just love the looks of the new 600
and 1000 the us market has some great deals out there

some ive seen from there auto trader are

2003 Suzuki GSXR 600 it only has 12928 miles
all black 3000 us 3700 can
and
2001 SUZUKI GSX-R 599 cc
15000 miles 3500 us 4300can
and
Year: 1999 Warranty: No
Miles: 6100 Engine Size (cc): 600
3500us 4300 can
and
ALMOST NEW 2004 HONDA CBR 600RR WITH ONLY 1500 GENTLE MILES
4500 us 5535 can

with all of the other prices , changes and time and effort needed to change bike for canada
are any of these worth it

all bikes are within 4 hours of toronto driving
expertes plz let me know
casue im getting very excited with the prospecct of driving
a 600 this year
that i can afford

Hey there,

Welp - The cheapest 2003 GSX-R 600 I saw on trader was running for about $7800 Canadian and has 9k KM's on it. so I figure your in the halfprice range already at 3k USD. (Im not gonna do all the bikes you listed).

Your gonna pay the $182 Riv Fee, (CREDIT CARD PAYMENT ONLY)
You'll need a recall clearance letter (dealer or Susuki Directly)
U.S. statement of compliance (S.O.C. Label)
GST for the bike.

This is just to pass the federal inspection... and get her into Canada.

Your going to likely spend about $100 each way (Food gas tolls etc.) If your estimation of 4 hours is correct).
$3000.00 USD ($3750.00 Can)
Plus about $300 PST and $210 GST.

Total is $4682 or so.

Ooooo k then. Still save about $3158 or so. Not bad all in all.

Dont forget though - You do have to pay for any parts and labor in order to get it safetied. Your also buying it blind - for all you know it could be completely shot. I would not pay much more than $200.00 for a deposit and get all your paperwork off to the US customs... pay the rest when you pick it up.

Good Luck! Nites

seller brings bike into Canada ?

Hello

another variation.,

seller ( a Brit) is touring the US with a
15 year old bike ,
registered in the US.
He is willing to ride the bike into Canada to sell to me.
Does he have to do anything at the border ?

What do I have to do to title/plate it to ride in Ontario ?

Thanks

Re: seller brings bike into Canada ?

David M said:
Hello

another variation.,

seller ( a Brit) is touring the US with a
15 year old bike ,
registered in the US.
He is willing to ride the bike into Canada to sell to me.
Does he have to do anything at the border ?

What do I have to do to title/plate it to ride in Ontario ?

Thanks

Read page 1. Only exception; RIV fee does not apply as the bike is 15 years or older.

Why does the List of Admissible Vehicles only cover models available in the USA, most of which are not admissible?

Why is it implicit in the instructions that any import will in fact be from the USA?

What if I purchase just a frame (with title) from, say, the UK?

Doodoo said:
Why does the List of Admissible Vehicles only cover models available in the USA, most of which are not admissible?

Why is it implicit in the instructions that any import will in fact be from the USA?

What if I purchase just a frame (with title) from, say, the UK?

The frame with title would not be MOTOR VEHICLE :roll: therefore it wouldn't fall under the restrictions outlined.

The reason it must be from the US is because the US shares pretty much the same safety standards as the Ministry of Transportation. The standards overseas do not hence said vehicles are restricted.

NinjaNikki said:
The frame with title would not be MOTOR VEHICLE :roll: therefore it wouldn't fall under the restrictions outlined.

So, in other words, any bike not otherwise admissible can be imported in pieces, including title, avoiding all annoying charges, paperwork and hassles. Okay, good to know. 8)

The reason it must be from the US is because the US shares pretty much the same safety standards as the Ministry of Transportation. The standards overseas do not hence said vehicles are restricted.

So, because they may or may not meet US spec, it is forbidden to bring them into Canada; there is no mechanism by which they can be tested to see if they meet emissions and safety specs; and all vehicles coming to Canada must first transit the US. I think it's my turn to roll my eyes.

Doodoo said:
NinjaNikki said:

So, in other words, any bike not otherwise admissible can be imported in pieces, including title, avoiding all annoying charges, paperwork and hassles. Okay, good to know. 8)

So, because they may or may not meet US spec, it is forbidden to bring them into Canada; there is no mechanism by which they can be tested to see if they meet emissions and safety specs; and all vehicles coming to Canada must first transit the US. I think it's my turn to roll my eyes.

No I think it's your turn to contact RIV and the Ministry of Transport and your local MP and take up your beef with them. :wink:

As for the bike in pieces yes you could import it like that however you will have to ship the peices separately. The last guy that tried to do that didn't ship it separately and ended up having his motorcycle seized.

Back
Top Bottom