If you join Motrek and Anik for the Pennsylvania trip on Friday, August 27th | GTAMotorcycle.com

If you join Motrek and Anik for the Pennsylvania trip on Friday, August 27th

mototrek

If you join Motrek... last year on August 27

I think it's worth a new thread. Just to make some things clear, like riding styles and behavior. I AM A FIXED OLD FART. SO THESE ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.

Style is most important. I never ride "Staggered." In traffic, I take a whole lane like a car or a truck. If we are bogged down in traffic, have to stop for a pee or gas or food, then I expect to see other riders. OTHERWISE, I ride ALONE Period. Others on the trip can be ahead or behind me - but I don't want to see them. Once on the open road, I want to see neither headlights nor tail lights.

Ideally, we ride about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes apart. I always pull over AFTER a turn - about 100 to 150 yards after the turn - gives the rider in front time to see my light so he can take off and ensures the rider behind me will not be lost, cause I'll be there.
Reason - I'm 65 years old - some I used to ride with will never see 65 and I never talk about it, I just adjusted my style..

Situations:
If anyone goes down he waits for a minute or a minute and a half before he gets help - but he doesn't take anone else down.
If anyone gets a ticket, same reasoning, except I'll see you later - it's your ticket.
If anyone breaks down, I'll wait until your CAA/AAA arrives - then they take care of you. No CAA/AAA Coverage? You are on your own - bye!
Whenever and wherever we meet, we meet with full tanks and empty bladders. If someone has a time management problem, he rides more alone than planned.
Meeting up is not the time to get to know each other. We can do that at lunch and when stopped for gas/pee.

We agreed to meet at Fort Erie Duty Free at 11:00. We leave within 5 minutes - so if you want to do anything beside "meet" better get there early.

Requirements:
You are adequately licensed - for slab and night time riding, and you can show it.
You have health insurance above and beyond OHIP if going to the States
Blue Cross, CAA or whatever - and you can show it
You have a Passport - you will have to show it at the border.

Behavior: No screwing around. If you can wheelie or stoppie or twirlie, then do it in front of the cop shop - they will be impressed. Me? Unless you are Chris Pfeiffer, I'm walking away from you.

No alcohol unless the bike is under the cover for the night. Want a beer while you eat? I don't eat with you. Simple as that. I like my beer. I don't like yours. I only drink at night.

I stay at motels. I like to return to the same places in peace. Rowdiness of any kind is unacceptable. There is no excuse for ruining anyone else's good time. Having a good time should be at no one else's expense.

QUIZ: Why do I never need hand signals?

Answer in the thread and make your own comments.

I'm not really a Bastard, I just act and sound like one.

cheers,

Last edited:
Wow you sound like a bastard LOL j/k bro. Honestly believe in 99 % of your comments , especially the drinking part. I have ridden many miles with at least 100 folks, and not once have I seen any one drink then get on the bike....... I do ride with old farts though, so maybe that why.

Pete is a great guy to ride with.

Next year i'll get my passport sorted and i'll head down to PA with you.

I know.....i say it every year.:)

Threads like this remind me why I usually travel alone.

Threads like this remind me why I usually travel alone.

My sentiments, exactly. However, there are times when you can be helpful to others - and that's why there's a thread like this. Being helpful doesn't mean servitude. There are conditions and this thread seeks to lay 'em out.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

cheers,

Last edited:
Re: If you join Motrek... last year on August 27

Pete is a great guy to ride with.

Next year i'll get my passport sorted and i'll head down to PA with you.

I know.....i say it every year.:)

Hurry up man - I may not have many years left! Lol

Last edited:
IIdeally, we ride about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes apart. I always pull over AFTER a turn - about 100 to 150 yards after the turn - gives the rider in front time to see my light so he can take off and ensures the rider behind me will not be lost, cause I'll be there.

WOW must make for a long day when you get to a road with lots of turns!!!

Not sure I could ride under all those rules but atleast you are warning people first!

Safe Riding!!!

I followed your rule I stayed back at least 6 hrs away :)

Great meeting you guys.

I followed your rule I stayed back at least 6 hrs away :)

Great meeting you guys.

Good for you!! We were only 44 minutes late. Instead of finding SR 1014 after Renovo to cut across to meet the 44, we went all the way to Lock Haven! 44 miles later, we finally hit the 44 and followed it to Coudersport - in the dark!!

Another time. Easier rules - 1 to 1.5 minutes apart - not 44 miles!! LOL

cheers,

Last edited:

WOW must make for a long day when you get to a road with lots of turns!!!

Not sure I could ride under all those rules but atleast you are warning people first!

Safe Riding!!!

The longer the ride, the more enjoyable. Rules? Try the most important ones - increase your chances of an accident free long life!

cheers,

Last edited:

You my friend have lots of rules, you sound like someone I used to be married to.

You had to get married to discover incompatibility? Sucks to be you.

Hope your first bike was a more pleasant experience.

cheers,

Last edited:
Based on all those rules, especially the ride far apart, and don't help anyone out of they crash or break down, the only reason I see for riding "together" is to get someone else to share your motel costs.

"... OTHERWISE, I ride ALONE Period. Others on the trip can be ahead or behind me - but I don't want to see them. Once on the open road, I want to see neither headlights nor tail lights"

why would anyone want to come along.?

This thread was for a ride the week of August 27th 2010 - a long time ago.

There were 5 riders on that ride. Seems Macdoc had an issue with it.
Obviously my style is not for you. Why drag up the whole thread from a year ago when rib already linked to the relevant message? You seem fixated a bit too much to have to repost the whole thread.

People who want to smell my bike's seat can do it when it's parked, not when I'm riding it. Savy?

Last edited:
This thread was for a ride the week of August 27th 2010 - a long time ago.

There were 5 riders on that ride. Seems Macdoc had an issue with it.
Obviously my style is not for you. Why drag up the whole thread from a year ago when rib already linked to the relevant message? You seem fixated a bit too much to have to repost the whole thread.

People who want to smell my bike's seat can do it when it's parked, not when I'm riding it. Savy?

Seriously? This is an open forum, users are welcome to comment on threads as they see fit old or new.

And quite frankly MT, riders need warning - you invite without showing the conditions.

The world is not MT centric and the idea is to have fun and look out after one another, not leave a newbie rider at the border and then everyone had to wait.....for one instance.....
You don't do that, period.

You got lost in the mountains you supposedly knew and one of your co-riders had serious hypothermia as a result...
...glad I made my way home an hour earlier on my own since you decided to go the wrong way on a one way street........and not wait around for everybody......found it enlightening you made a smart assed comment about "anyone seen a Burgman"? ......yes I heard that.
I'd been back for an hour......I have 43 years riding experience ....it didn't sit well....

so if you get dissed it's not without reason....or judgement.

I would suggest the two riders and myself had close to a century of mcycle experience amongst us ....we were less than impressed...
....we still had fun and I was pleased when one of the other riders invited me on another ride sometime.....

You were neither the oldest rider nor the most experienced rider on that trip.

So maybe would be companions need a bit of a heads up.

"results may vary"......"not exactly as advertised".

Last edited:
I agree with a few things on your list, but those are just common curtsy things, like have a full tank of gas when arriving for a group ride. Riding that distance apart? You don't want to see another rider? I prefer to see another rider then a car ahead or behind. More bikes properly riding together increase visibility and is safe when done properly.

Why bother waiting for CAA/AAA to even arrive if you are not willing to offer any help at all? You sound like you just need to ride solo. I for one would never ride with such a stringent set of rules imposed because he is self proclaimed "FIXED OLD FART". Enjoy your solo riding, and stay away from me because I like to have a beer or a glass of wine and go riding! Where is the devil emoticon?

I agree with what Macdoc said about and agree with him, its to have fun, enjoy a common thing and when people are in need, to help. When I lead a group ride, I make sure riders are with me, information and never leave any behind. Stuck behind a traffic light? We all pull over. Straggling way back, we wait at a stop light. Its a GROUP ride for a reason. I will enjoy not riding solo with you.

Last edited:
MT - 2010 thread or yesterday's thread...I suspect your attitude remains the same - so all comments posted are very relevant.
65 Eh? Somehow ignorance and arrogance have remained your lifelong companion and maturity has eluded you!! Such language...you have dissed everyone. Being 65 does not give you the right of superiority over everyone...EARN the respect from fellow 65 and 20 year olds alike.

Last edited:

MT - 2010 thread or yesterday's thread...I suspect your attitude remains the same - so all comments posted are very relevant.
65 Eh? Somehow ignorance and arrogance have remained your lifelong companion and maturity has eluded you!! Such language...you have dissed everyone. Being 65 does not give you the right of superiority over everyone...EARN the respect from fellow 65 and 20 year olds alike.

No no - you are still stuck in last year's thread. It's 66 now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom