If Robbers (Rogers) Were A Bank ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

If Robbers (Rogers) Were A Bank ...

Rogers credits cards, then linked to their phone service, offering discounts if you bundle their Visa/MC with a phone plan.

it's an idea and why not? as much as I hate the big 3, at least Rogers is trying to move forward.

Considering how lucrative NFC is going to be it's a good move on their part. I hate the company, but like the move. Would likely buy their stock in the near future.

I despise Rogers. I have for a long time. Rogers bank? What a farce! I also find it pathetic that my Internet bill is more per month than my heat bill, and I don't even have a very fast connection. :mad:

... what's next Bell

Well, alienzzz on DSLR had a few thoughts on that topic..

- One day you log onto your online account and you find that your $5056 dollars have suddenly become $1762. You ask about that and they tell you that you live too far from the bank to get more. They refuse to let you use the remote bank (ATM).

- They force you to rent a B##ell branded wallet from them for $10/month. The wallet's latch is broken by default so money tends to fall out of it.

- Your monthly usage allowance is 5 bucks/month, withdrawal or deposit. Anyone withdrawing or depositing more is clearly a banking hog and needs to be disciplined.

- The overages are attractively priced at $1 for every cent above the generous monthly usage limit. But you can buy insurance blocks that allow you to transfer an extra $20 for just $39.99.

- Cheques are throttled at $35 per week and take months to fully clear.
Source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26286788-ROGERS-opening-a-BANK-

I'd say it's pretty accurate based on their business model :D

Teksavvy is a great alternative.

They are and so are many other indies out there. While they mostly still have to rent the last mile copper from the Robellus cartel, they at least give you a lot better bang for your buck (especially when it comes to usage), don't employ people in Mumbai and Kolkata - they employ Canadians instead and don't throttle.

I'm not a big fan of any Robellus cartel expanding their activities even more.. It's bad enough that they already own pretty much all of our telecom infrastructure, cable/satellite/IPTV and then they also own TV an radio stations (Flow is now a part of Bell Media, btw) in addition to papers. Corporate communism at its finest and you can bet that they'll use their dominant market position to choke out any potential competition.. It took billions of dollars of foreign investment and some serious determination to open up our mobile market even a little.

Another interesting piece of satire on this topic.. Click on the link for full article..
http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/09/07/rogers-bank/
10. Contract banking: If you want an account, you have to agree to have it for a period of two or three years. In exchange, you get a discount on any cheques you order. Leaving early means you forfeit all your money.

9. Bank access fee: A monthly charge that is deducted from your balance, simply for the very privilege of using the bank. When customers complain, this will be changed to “regulatory recovery fee” that will ostensibly be used to cover the cost of meeting various banking regulations.

8. Account throttling: Rogers will reserve the right to manage how accounts are used in order to prevent their branches from becoming overcrowded and their ATMs from getting overused. Deposits will be unlimited, but customers will have to pay different amounts depending on how many withdrawals they want to do per month.

Don't despair - perhaps banks will get into the communications business. Without competition, progress is stifled. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to pay for things and transfer money to and from others with my cell phone technology. It has the potential to be much more efficient than using a credit card, bank card or cash. This is a wakeup call for the banks and other cell phone service providers. It will also open up a lot of opportunities for others. This is very exciting news and I think Rogers could pull it off.

Not leaving RBC anytime soon... sorry but any bank that forces me to use it by means of stealing all my money if I try to leave.... **** that ****...

And of course they will use the same technology developed for their internet usage meters for their transaction usage meters which will always be inaccurate. Somehow, your 30 transactions gets counted as 114 transactions.

Speaking of cable companies, anyone know where I can buy one of those screwdriver things that opens said cable box? Any bitter employees on this site??? PM me ;)

Speaking of cable companies, anyone know where I can buy one of those screwdriver things that opens said cable box? Any bitter employees on this site??? PM me ;)

Ain't gonna help you much.. You'd have to steal basic cable for 20 years for it to pay off and basic cable is ****.

@cat13: What they wanna do this for is probably NFC. Touch a card to a sensor (or in this case your cell-phone if it has the technology and Google Nexus S does) and you pay for your TTC fare or for your coffee.

Ain't gonna help you much.. You'd have to steal basic cable for 20 years for it to pay off and basic cable is ****.

@cat13: What they wanna do this for is probably NFC. Touch a card to a sensor (or in this case your cell-phone if it has the technology and Google Nexus S does) and you pay for your TTC fare or for your coffee.

And when you lose your phone, you lose your money and they have your personal information.

I like the idea of the technology, I just dislike how effed you will be if you lose your phone.
Cash is king.
I don't understand why people are afraid to walk around with 50-100$ in their wallets everyday.

I think they want to get into the banking market like an ING Direct or ICICI bank. They do some things but not everything. I work for a bank but I would never even consider them. They can barely get their monthly statements correct as it is now. Also every time I call in, I get a different answer. Can you imagine how frustrating that would be if they had your money and can't service you?

And when you lose your phone, you lose your money and they have your personal information.

I like the idea of the technology, I just dislike how effed you will be if you lose your phone.
Cash is king.
I don't understand why people are afraid to walk around with 50-100$ in their wallets everyday.

This has been around Europe and Asia for years, they seem to do Ok.

Back
Top Bottom