I installed the creepy surveillance app/device to get an insurance discount | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I installed the creepy surveillance app/device to get an insurance discount

I wonder if there is a guilty by association factor in this. A cautious driver thinks ahead and considers such a device. A hot head says "Screw them. No one's going to tell me how to drive."

By going for the system they identify you with the cautious responsible drivers.

I found this app to be useless. If you ride a MC forget it, it only works for cars. The best I could ever get in a car is 2% discount. In an urban area you can’t run at the speed of traffic or keep a typical inter car distance while trying to earn a good score.

It might be useful outside high traffic areas of the GTA.

really? i had adjusto for a year in my car and got 21% discount. most of my driving is in west end of toronto (bloor/dundas area out to mississauga sometimes) i didnt realize they did this for motorcycles too. i wonder if i can run it on my bike as well to get a discount on both vehicles? i'll give them a call.

Last edited:
If insurance companies have thier way, this will be in future vehicles, there may be no opting out. I was offered a 5% discount to install. Thats not enough incentive for me.
I may not consent for a 25% discount, but I also do not have Alexa in my house.

For those who have Ajusto specifically, how do you get feedback - is it instant on your phone screen so you can learn, or do you have to look at a report after, and is that after you’ve already selected whether you were driving?

For Ajusto my agent told me there’s no automatic discount but the average she sees is about 15% and said she has seen one person get the full 25%. They can’t raise your rate because of your score no matter what, and once the 100 days is up, you don’t have to use it anymore unless you request a reassessment in which case the 100 days starts over.

Other companies give you an automatic discount like 10% to have it but then also penalize you if you drive outside of their expectations - I would avoid these companies.

With Ajusto you only see the report after you’ve selected whether you were driving. When you select, you're committed. If after selecting you don't like the score, you can delete the trip but you are only allowed to do that once every 250km. I'm at 24% without much difficulty and I can hardly claim I'm anything more than an average driver.

Good to know. So aside from driving smoothly and following the speed limits, does anyone know if time of day, route (highway vs backroads), etc. makes any difference?

Good to know. So aside from driving smoothly and following the speed limits, does anyone know if time of day, route (highway vs backroads), etc. makes any difference?
Time of day is supposed to be included in the rating. Not sure about road type

When you complete your trip, a map of the route you took is shown with every incident marked on it and clickable. Speeding is shown as red path instead of green line. Below that are the 4 key scoring criteria (phone distraction, braking, acceleration, speed) with comments and star ratings on each. At the bottom you can press "other risk factors" and it'll show how distance and time of day were factored in.

I don't think city vs highway matters but city roads especially have unexpected changes to the speed limits that can trip you up. For example, Victoria park switches between 50 and 60 between Don Mills and 401. If a change catches you by surprise you might have to decide between a speeding and a braking incident.

I don't think time of day itself factors in, other than you'll see more stop and starts at 5PM than you will 5AM. I have some freedonm in my work hours, occasionally I'll work in the evenings so I can use daylight for other things. I was never able to beat 15% with extremely careful car driving. For kicks I tried the VIVA bus to see whether they were any better, in 4 trips the best a VIVA driver did was 5% discount. Here is what I deduced:

• Full stops are a must
  • Deceleration should be in the range of .35-.45Gs, any faster or slower will impact score
  • Acceleration .30-.35G
  • Cornering .40Gs
  • Travelling +/-2KM of the speedlimit if ideal, more or less will be a problem
My trips were done with the TD app, all 5 in the family tried. Son, Daughter and I all got 15% when driving for discounts, abou 4% when driving our normal defensive style (none have tickets or at fault accidents). Wife and other son are lead footed, they got zero and zero. Both have tickets, wife has at fault accident.

At the end of the day a reasonable driver can expect 5-10% discount if you do mostly city driving. Thet comes up quickly if you drive highways ONLY if you stay within 2% of the posted speed limit.

Awesome info. 2% is a pretty slim margin considering most speedometers aren’t that accurate to begin with.

Would like to see where I am in the spectrum but don’t want it tied to my insurance. Is that possible? Can I just download one of these apps and give it a shot? You know, ‘off the record’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would like to see where I am in the spectrum but don’t want it tied to my insurance. Is that possible? Can I just download one of these apps and give it a shot? You know, ‘off the record’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can try. You have to put your policy number and i think I had to put my online credentials. I don't know if it'll work if you don't or if you just make up fake info.
If that doesn't work, you could set it up properly and then mark every trip as a passenger. You'll still see all the trip ratings and warnings you just won't get scored. None of these apps make your rate go up, only down so there isn't much risk.
edit: If you don't complete the 100/days 1000/km conditions it won't do anything for you anyway so you could just uninstall it.

Last edited:
I don't buy this, in this day and age... no data goes to waste. They will not hit you immediately but you can be damn sure it goes into the equations for the vehicle at large.

I'm sure they already figured Corolla drivers aren't exactly the same as mustang drivers.
They likely offset some of the discount by selling the highly detailed travel behavior data. Frankly, I object to that less than companies like facebook and google who pull a full colonoscopy on you and only pay you back with ads. As with facebook and google, real goal is behavior modification. 100 days is a long time - long enough to change your habits. They want their risks mitigated so they dangle a carrot to make you drive the way they want.

Here is what I deduced:
  • Full stops are a must
  • Deceleration should be in the range of .35-.45Gs, any faster or slower will impact score
  • Acceleration .30-.35G
  • Cornering .40Gs
  • Travelling +/-2KM of the speedlimit if ideal, more or less will be a problem
My trips were done with the TD app, all 5 in the family tried. Son, Daughter and I all got 15% when driving for discounts, abou 4% when driving our normal defensive style (none have tickets or at fault accidents). Wife and other son are lead footed, they got zero and zero. Both have tickets, wife has at fault accident.

Those are absurd requirements.

0.4 g deceleration is about 3 - 4 seconds to stop from 50 km/h. That's harder than most people actually brake.

0.3 g acceleration is also harder than most people accelerate except maybe for a fraction of a second from a stop. I highly doubt if my car will even do 0.3 g acceleration beyond second gear.

Average driver doesn't exceed 0.25 g when cornering. That's when non-enthusiasts start complaining about people driving too fast.

And requiring that precision of the speed limit ... that's more accurate than my speedometer is, and there are many roads where doing that is asking to be run over (due to the speed limit being too low).

In my car or van, I normally anticipate traffic lights well in advance, with a long period of coasting if I anticipate having to stop. Saves fuel, saves brakes, saves wear and tear, smoother for driver and passengers, but it means a pretty lengthy period of being below the speed limit and not braking ... Fail!

And requiring that precision of the speed limit ... that's more accurate than my speedometer is, and there are many roads where doing that is asking to be run over (due to the speed limit being too low).

How does the app accurately know what the speed limit is on every section of road? How often is the speed limit information updated?

While using the GPS that came in my 2016 CX-3 it displays the speed limit as I"m driving along and tells me when I'm exceeding the limit. The only thing is it is sometimes wrong! I've noticed many locations where the limits have been changed, but the GPS says I'm either well below the limit, or speeding. Kind of makes it difficult to precisely match the speed limit when the app might not be up to date.

i completed the Ajusto program with a 95/100 score and got a 24% discount. Turns out it only applies to the base rate. I have some extras on my insurance and the discount doesn't apply to those. Overall, it looks more like around 16% off. At least the discount is permanent.

Late to the party but I took part in this, don't remember how long I had to use it... 1 year? Maybe 2? Goes by quick. Honestly it mixed well with me trying to save gas in my vw and then later civic. I was averaging 6.7L per 100 k cause I was going like a grandpa.

Don't worry about odd time that you accelerate or break fast it averages out. Plus now you can also tick off rides where you were the passenger and not the driver and was only acting as the navigator.

When it was the end I got a message on my app with the end date of my eval, all told I got 24 percent off. When I called them the agent said he had never seen anyone with such a high percentage. I was so happy.

So I waited patiently for my renewal in about a month or so from the end date of my completion to get my 25 percent off.... Renewal came and went and my insurance went UP by about 12 dollars a month... Called dejaurdins, they are like yes sir we applied your 24 percent off... But your insurance has also gone up this year by like 30 percent.... Told me I should be happy for the discount to almost even it out.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Just moved from dejardins direct, to dejardins agency (broker) for my car and my gf. She saved 70 I saved 80. They told me adjusto couldn't transfer over and I needed to re-download the app and go through the monitoring for another year. But the broker actually spoke to the adjusto supervisor and they honored my discount. So my discount is now like 100+ a month.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom