I can see why people like Gixxers | GTAMotorcycle.com

I can see why people like Gixxers

stormcat

Flame away! :lmao:

Swapped bikes with a friend today to ride Hockley Valley. He took my '05 CBR600RR, I took his '09 GSX-R1000. My Gawd, it's like riding a couch! Very easy to ride too. Here I was a big 'ol scaredy cat about the power difference, but it's a teddy bear of a bike. I can see why people like Gixxers now.

I did find some things about the Gixxer annoying though. It's buzzy. The pegs, seat and bars transfer a lot more vibration than my CBR does, so my feet and hands wanted to fall asleep. The bike felt less tight and put together than the CBR. Kind of rattly by comparison. The brakes and suspension are softer than my bike. Regardless of the fact that he's had the suspension set up for his weight at over 200 lbs. Weird.

Oddly enough, I did find it easier to corner, though. But that may be because unlike my bike, I'm not fighting to keep myself from weighting the bars. Not sure. But it certainly is a very comfy bike to ride. Maybe my next bike will be a Gixxer. :eek:

+1

Test rode both the '09 GSXR600 and '10 CBR600, GSXR was a muchhhh nicer ride.

I think I'd take my friend's Gixxer for the track. At least a few sessions just to see. He'd probably let me.

I switched from kawi to a gsxr 750 and couldn't be happier. It is very comfortable, I have done Toronto to Montreal straight, next day montrembland to close to Quebec city returning to Toronto and I was fine and confy.

I have taken the gsxr to the track and it was very easy to ride, at no point I felt I was losing handle on the bike, I didn't push it neither since it was my street bike.

As much as I hate to admit, I would recommend this bike to anyone.

I was really in the market for a 600RR but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my 750...
Couldn't be happier and every time I modify something, it makes me fall in love with my bike all over again.
I think I'll be keeping this one even if I decide to upgrade somewhere down the line.

+1 on being comfy(for a ss). Better overall built quality than my old zx. also I hear it was the lowest seat position but I have a 07 gsxr600.

Great riding position, adjustable rearsets, slipper clutch, electronic steering damper, 3 drive modes, sexy looks and arguably the most affordable (new purchase) in the market...done deal. Love mine, had 3 and like 2live&ride says, I fall in love with it every time I take it out.

About that slipper clutch... I was playing with that and I noticed no difference in sudden engine braking when dropping the clutch on a downshift on that Gixxer than I do on my bike, which does not have a slipper clutch. For some reason, I thought a slipper clutch wouldn't just keep the rear from locking up, but would soften engine braking substantially in the process.

About that slipper clutch... I was playing with that and I noticed no difference in sudden engine braking when dropping the clutch on a downshift on that Gixxer than I do on my bike, which does not have a slipper clutch. For some reason, I thought a slipper clutch wouldn't just keep the rear from locking up, but would soften engine braking substantially in the process.
nope. Maybe downshift to first at 140kph (or faster??) on that bike to get the slipper to do something...

Also the 600cc engine has less backtorque so it will freewheel more than a 1000cc or vtwin engine. I would guess the slipper is less noticeable on the smaller bike than on a liter bike, I know going from my sv650 (no slipper vtwin) to the r6 (slipper clutch and i4) it was a very noticeable difference in engine breaking.

How high on the tach were you when you did this?

Couldn't tell you. I was more focused on the traffic on the road than looking at the tach.

It'll be more noticeable higher in the rev range, not likely to get there on the road. I'd think your experience will change if you get it onto the track... Oh, and let us know if it is still a "teddy bear of a bike" above 10K rpm... lol.

Great riding position, adjustable rearsets, slipper clutch, electronic steering damper, 3 drive modes, sexy looks and arguably the most affordable (new purchase) in the market...done deal. Love mine, had 3 and like 2live&ride says, I fall in love with it every time I take it out.

Is the 3 drive modes 600, 750 and 1000?
I heard from this awesome stunter that if you set it to 1000, its the best for wheelies :D Yut ughhh

It'll be more noticeable higher in the rev range, not likely to get there on the road. I'd think your experience will change if you get it onto the track... Oh, and let us know if it is still a "teddy bear of a bike" above 10K rpm... lol.

I think that's like anytime you push your limits, though. My 600 has scared me at the track. Not because of the bike necessarily, but from pushing my own limits with it.

It was the first time I'd ridden a litre bike and with everyone always saying that they're so hard to control — "like a bull" seems to be the most common description — I didn't expect the bike to be so tame.

I think that's like anytime you push your limits, though. My 600 has scared me at the track. Not because of the bike necessarily, but from pushing my own limits with it.

It was the first time I'd ridden a litre bike and with everyone always saying that they're so hard to control — "like a bull" seems to be the most common description — I didn't expect the bike to be so tame.

At lower rpm's they can be nicely civilized since there is enough torque available. Guess that's teddy bear territory... lol. But don't let that be your idea of the bike as a whole! Just think what limits you could reach...

Go to the track on the 1000. You know you want to... :)

Back
Top Bottom