Hyundai Motor Recall Again | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hyundai Motor Recall Again

uh huh.

i had my optima for almost 7 years, only did front brakes and oil changes. 32k->140k. as an actual owner of the product i have nothing but praise.
I’ve had 3 Hyundais…

Genesis coupe 3.8 6MT - zero issues
Elantra touring 4AT
- within the first year - 1 transmission (17k) and 1 steering wheel
- second transmission (85k) covered under warranty thanks for a good GTAMer
- third transmission at 125k (we traded it in but had quotes already)

Cousins Santa Fe
- turbo failed but was repaired by mechanic

Friends Optima and whatever their small SUV is called (replaced by the Sorrento)
- zero issues in 4 years

Seems to be really hit and miss with Hyundai. I ran my 2003 Tiburon GT to 475,000km and it was still running like a clock with no oil burning issues when I sold it. My son had a 2007 Sonata 6cyl. that spun a bearing, he sold it still running at 180,000km. This indicates sloppy machining at Hyundai, perhaps CNC machinery maintenance is lacking? I know people who are blowing oil and Hyundai won't cover it under warranty because they claim it is "within specifications". Wonder if that attitude has changed with the recalls.

I know people who are blowing oil and Hyundai won't cover it under warranty because they claim it is "within specifications". Wonder if that attitude has changed with the recalls.

Spec is 1L/1500km's, this is pretty standard across most manufacturers from what I've seen.

Seems to be really hit and miss with Hyundai. I ran my 2003 Tiburon GT to 475,000km and it was still running like a clock with no oil burning issues when I sold it. My son had a 2007 Sonata 6cyl. that spun a bearing, he sold it still running at 180,000km. This indicates sloppy machining at Hyundai, perhaps CNC machinery maintenance is lacking? I know people who are blowing oil and Hyundai won't cover it under warranty because they claim it is "within specifications". Wonder if that attitude has changed with the recalls.
My first car was a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. Ran pretty good until the clutch went and dumped oil all over the road. Took it in and got it fixed. The mechanic said that was the most ****** up clutch he's ever worked on. Said it was completely backwards on a car and the only one he saw that was similar was a clutch on a tractor.

Unlikely to be part of this mess but direct injection sucks. It causes more emissions in some categories where the EPA allowed room and less in others where they were EPA constrained. Afaik, all DI engines have issues with intake valve buildup that requires expensive and annoying cleaning. Adding back port injection is a great system as that keeps the valves clean and port injection is more efficient in some operating scenarios. Manufacturers cost-cut the extra injectors out (and that also drives a lot of service work their way, win win). Some EU cars have both and the identical cars here are DI only with identical power ratings.

Back on topic, it appears that the problems were in the 4 and 6 cylinder engines but the recalls are only for the 4 cylinder engines.
If it doesn't get blocked the video shows the problem. The solution is money upfront or money later.

One interesting factor was the oil evaporation rate and using oil with a low rate, something not in the usual specifications. I don't know how synthetic oil rates.

YouTube:

Direct Injection, Problems and Solutions | The Fine Print​

by savagegeese

P.S. The video is generic, not targeting Hyundai. It indicates all DFI engines have the problem but the present focus is on Hyundai.

BTW I had a valve stick in an airplane engine once and it made all that flight training worth it. Traced back to crud build up. Interference fit sucks.

Hyundais are hit and miss..

know two folks that had their turbo blow up around 100k but Hyundai fixed it under warranty. Others have had zero issues

I get the impression there were three problems. Corrrect me if I'm wrong.

1) An incorrectly tightened fuel line possibly the cause of a fire or two

2) The DFI issue with carbon build up.

3) Manufacturing debris left in the engines

1 & 3 could be quality control issues if I'm correct.

2 is a general problem with direct injection and not as easily solved. Different brands may be less susceptable due to specific designs.

I get the impression there were three problems. Corrrect me if I'm wrong.

1) An incorrectly tightened fuel line possibly the cause of a fire or two

#1 only applied to engines that were already replaced.

Is it the 1.6 ltr or the 2.0 that’s having the problems?

My understanding is that the 1.6 in the smaller cars and CUVs is OK, it's the 2.4 litre 4 cylinder in the larger cars and CUVs that has been giving trouble.

The 2.0l and 2.4l Theta2 motors are the worst offenders. The 1.6l fail too, but at a lower rate.

The 2.0l and 2.4l Theta2 motors are the worst offenders. The 1.6l fail too, but at a lower rate.
I guess the question is "What is an acceptable rate of failure?"

The second question is "What are the consequences if the engine fails?"

Would you want a Hyundai motor in an airplane?

In most cases it would be a call to CAA and late for an appointment, work etc but what about a breakdown in downtown Detroit?

I guess the question is "What is an acceptable rate of failure?"

The second question is "What are the consequences if the engine fails?"

Would you want a Hyundai motor in an airplane?

In most cases it would be a call to CAA and late for an appointment, work etc but what about a breakdown in downtown Detroit?
Much depends on how the transmission deals with a loss of input power (eg does it quickly lock up). Next question is, how does the typical Hyundai driver deal with an unexpected situation (not well imo). I suspect the vast majority of hyundai engine failures will result in the vehicle stopping in the lane it was travelling in and getting smashed from behind if that was on a highway.

Ain't no one going to respond to a broke down car downtown Detriot...

Much depends on how the transmission deals with a loss of input power (eg does it quickly lock up). Next question is, how does the typical Hyundai driver deal with an unexpected situation (not well imo). I suspect the vast majority of hyundai engine failures will result in the vehicle stopping in the lane it was travelling in and getting smashed from behind if that was on a highway.

The YouTube system dropped some valve cleaner videos into my recommended list but I wasn't impressed by the results.

For example:

My problem with the results is that there seemed to be chunks of carbon partially loosened as well as clean parts on the valve and in the valve area.

My concern being one of those big carbon chunks coming loose and jamming the valve open. I assume the piston wouldn't want to share the space.

I recall talking to a doctor about the clot buster drugs and him having reservations about them. Unless the situation was urgent he preferred the clot to slowly dissolve instead of sending a load of shrapnel into the works where it could create more damage.

The better solution is a slow erosion of the carbon which is what happens with port injection.

The oil catch can sounds like a reasonable idea but I have no idea of the cost.

Does synthetic oil leave more or less residue?

The oil catch can sounds like a reasonable idea but I have no idea of the cost.

Does synthetic oil leave more or less residue?
Catch can isn't perfect and sucks in our climate. It catches a lot of water and can freeze unless you frequently dump it. Many people that run them in the summer disconnect it in the winter to avoid the hassle. Realistically, carbon cleaning is annoying but the cheapest solution. Some cars can add MPI to fix the problem but that costs more than a few cleaning cycles and unless you are shooting for the moon has minimal effect on power output.

You won't have to worry about that. They wouldn't even know where to start on designing an airplane engine.
For starters, even small airplane engines are far higher displacement than anything hyundai auto has ever made. I think they are associated with hyundai heavy industries though so if they could draw from other branches they could probably make something work.

Back
Top Bottom