Hyundai Motor Recall Again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hyundai Motor Recall Again

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter

I don't own one. Have a coworker with a Sonata a few years back and the engine self destructed and was covered which is when I first learned of the first recall. Today I learned that of 3 other coworkers that own Sante Fe's or Tucson's all 3 of them had engine failure with one owner having both a 15 SF and a 17 Tucson and both had engine failure this year. Hyundai replaced or currently replacing engines in all of them without hassle and is warrantying the engine for life after replacement. Good on Hyundai for doing it without hassle but wow they must have a lot of vehicles getting new engines.

I don't own one. Have a coworker with a Sonata a few years back and the engine self destructed and was covered which is when I first learned of the first recall. Today I learned that of 3 other coworkers that own Sante Fe's or Tucson's all 3 of them had engine failure with one owner having both a 15 SF and a 17 Tucson and both had engine failure this year. Hyundai replaced or currently replacing engines in all of them without hassle and is warrantying the engine for life after replacement. Good on Hyundai for doing it without hassle but wow they must have a lot of vehicles getting new engines.
I have a 2018 Sante Fe with the Theta engine. I don't know the odds of an engine failure but it makes me wonder about all the eco stuff. Great mileage at what price?

What are the eco savings if engines or cars get scrapped because of an ounce of metal in a con rod?

The numbers are not catastrophic but what if normality resumes and someone's engine grenades while on a trip to Iowa? I'll have to check on warrantee details.

I guess a 283 small block wouldn't fit in. Personally I would prefer really old cars except for the safety bling.

I have a 2018 Sante Fe with the Theta engine. I don't know the odds of an engine failure but it makes me wonder about all the eco stuff. Great mileage at what price?
Unlikely to be part of this mess but direct injection sucks. It causes more emissions in some categories where the EPA allowed room and less in others where they were EPA constrained. Afaik, all DI engines have issues with intake valve buildup that requires expensive and annoying cleaning. Adding back port injection is a great system as that keeps the valves clean and port injection is more efficient in some operating scenarios. Manufacturers cost-cut the extra injectors out (and that also drives a lot of service work their way, win win). Some EU cars have both and the identical cars here are DI only with identical power ratings.

Back on topic, it appears that the problems were in the 4 and 6 cylinder engines but the recalls are only for the 4 cylinder engines.

when people ask me if they should buy a hyundai/kia

I tell them they are "cheap" for a reason. Steer clear!

my relative got his engine replaced under the recall. my buddy is the manager at a Kia dealer in burlington. He says the shop is lined up with cars waiting for new engines.

This is nothing new. My friend’s 08 Sonata grenaded idling in a parking spot back in 09

Unlikely to be part of this mess but direct injection sucks. It causes more emissions in some categories where the EPA allowed room and less in others where they were EPA constrained. Afaik, all DI engines have issues with intake valve buildup that requires expensive and annoying cleaning. Adding back port injection is a great system as that keeps the valves clean and port injection is more efficient in some operating scenarios. Manufacturers cost-cut the extra injectors out (and that also drives a lot of service work their way, win win). Some EU cars have both and the identical cars here are DI only with identical power ratings.

Back on topic, it appears that the problems were in the 4 and 6 cylinder engines but the recalls are only for the 4 cylinder engines.
My 08 Mazda CX7 has the DISI 2.3T motor and was one of the earlier DI motors that came out. Has a nasty rep for turbo and timing chain issues but otherwise good. Mine's original with 277k on it. Mazda never asked me to come in for an injector cleaning as part of maintenance but I know Hyundai does. DI system is really loud though on it and it sounds like a diesel under the hood.

One reason why I didnt even consider Hyundai or Kia when I purchased my Rav4 Hybrid. I think the reliability of Korean cars are even worse than Ford or GM. Almost as bad as Chysler products.

If you are concerned about direct injection vehicles and the carbon build up issues associated with them. Look at Toyota products. Their new engines with DI also have the port injections. Its a dual set up. Best of both worlds without the future maintenance issues.

On my second Santa Fe and have loved both of them. Zero issues, first one was at 200k and now this one is at 150. Oil changes and gas.

Have a Kona rented for a work trip on Novembet, specifically booked it as it may be my next vehicle.

Had a 1985 pony and an 86 stellar- now those were disposable 10G vehicles. However they served our purpose for a few yrs. Maybe lasted 2 each!

I know of a few people with Mazda vehicles and so far I havent heard of any DI related issues with their engine designs. Mazda has come a long way ever since Ford was no longer involved with them. In fact Mazda is now near the top as far as reliabilty goes. Competing with Lexus and Toyota.

For those that are wondering. A simple fuel injection service does nothing to get rid of the carb build up on the intake valves on a DI engine. The only true way to clean that is to get access at the intake valves and do a physical scrapping of the carbon. Todays DI engines with turbos are notoriously bad for this. That's why if possible I would stay away from any of these smaller engines with turbos. Unless you dont care and are trading in the car every 4 years ...

In the olden days we ran carb cleaner down the carb to clear carbon. Basically (from memory) poor half the bottle down the carb slowly with the motor running and then dump the rest choking the motor out. Wait some time and fire it up, rev for a huge smoke show.... Some will say it did not work but we usually had decent results on motors with poor cylinder pressure tests as long as it was not a broken ring etc.

Any reason this would not do the trick on DI valves as long as the input was in the intake after the MAF of course.

I know of a few people with Mazda vehicles and so far I havent heard of any DI related issues with their engine designs. Mazda has come a long way ever since Ford was no longer involved with them. In fact Mazda is now near the top as far as reliabilty goes. Competing with Lexus and Toyota.

For those that are wondering. A simple fuel injection service does nothing to get rid of the carb build up on the intake valves on a DI engine. The only true way to clean that is to get access at the intake valves and do a physical scrapping of the carbon. Todays DI engines with turbos are notoriously bad for this. That's why if possible I would stay away from any of these smaller engines with turbos. Unless you dont care and are trading in the car every 4 years ...

Walnut blasting the intake valves on a typical 4 cylinder motor is not the end of the world, expect somewhere around $500-800 at typical dealership labour rates.

Any reason this would not do the trick on DI valves as long as the input was in the intake after the MAF of course.
People have tried all sorts of chemicals. Mainly a waste of chemicals. Deposits are too hard. They've built up over 100K km and aren't interested in leaving quickly. The juice may take off the last 5K km of buildup but just doesn't touch the rest. I guess if you dumped it in every 5K km, you might avoid future issues but that costs a lot in chemicals.

As others have said, physical scraping or walnut blasting are the common methods that work. Obviously there is some surgery required to get physical access to the back of the valves and that is where much of the time and money is.

when people ask me if they should buy a hyundai/kia

I tell them they are "cheap" for a reason. Steer clear!

my relative got his engine replaced under the recall. my buddy is the manager at a Kia dealer in burlington. He says the shop is lined up with cars waiting for new engines.

So define new.

Does Hyundai give you back the same trouble prone engine or have they fixed the problem? A friend from Trinidad was always worried about spinning a bearing with the old English cars he had. That was 50 years ago.

Has spinning a bearing suddenly become a difficult problem to solve.

So define new.

Does Hyundai give you back the same trouble prone engine or have they fixed the problem? A friend from Trinidad was always worried about spinning a bearing with the old English cars he had. That was 50 years ago.

Has spinning a bearing suddenly become a difficult problem to solve.

It's a brand new complete long block. Haven't seen any replacements blow up yet. Either way, Hyundai is basically committed to a lifetime warranty on them

It's a brand new complete long block. Haven't seen any replacements blow up yet. Either way, Hyundai is basically committed to a lifetime warranty on them
I would be interested in how they changed the block.

GM had a service bulletin with the X cars to change the steering box whenever they failed trusting the second one took the car to the scrap heap. Same junk box.

Glad Kia gave me lifetime warranty on my 17 sportage

One reason why I didnt even consider Hyundai or Kia when I purchased my Rav4 Hybrid. I think the reliability of Korean cars are even worse than Ford or GM. Almost as bad as Chysler products.
uh huh.

i had my optima for almost 7 years, only did front brakes and oil changes. 32k->140k. as an actual owner of the product i have nothing but praise.

GM had a service bulletin with the X cars to change the steering box whenever they failed trusting the second one took the car to the scrap heap. Same junk box.

The X and the J bodies should have went to the scrap heap as soon as they left the assembly lines...

Had a 1985 pony and an 86 stellar- now those were disposable 10G vehicles. However they served our purpose for a few yrs. Maybe lasted 2 each!
Oh man the worse car I ever drove (Stellar), nothing really worked. Wipers + something, good luck running any other electric item.
In the olden days we ran carb cleaner down the carb to clear carbon. Basically (from memory) poor half the bottle down the carb slowly with the motor running and then dump the rest choking the motor out. Wait some time and fire it up, rev for a huge smoke show.... Some will say it did not work but we usually had decent results on motors with poor cylinder pressure tests as long as it was not a broken ring etc.

Excally this, with the Steller, always carried a carb cleaner with the car. Would randomly not start up, doing this got it going. Just junk.

Back
Top Bottom