Humboldt Broncos | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Humboldt Broncos

Justice is done.Let's hope nothing like that ever happens again.It was an accident that could have been prevented and wasn't.

Reactions: J_F
Let’s hope.

But did the province overhaul it licensing and training requirements?
From the sounds of it they gave them out fairly easily.

Sent from the Moon!

Not the only province.

^ yeah
WTF with that?
let's stone him
it's not like we're more civilized than other places
I'm up for a good public stoning

So for 8 years we pay for him to eat drink sleep and what ever else.....
Yes.But with the way the system works he will prolly only serve about 2 1/2.The guy will have to carry the weight of his actions the rest of his life.

Ontario Trucking Association wants a foreign drivers program. They're pretending there's a driver shortage again so they can undercut the wages of Canadian drivers. These idiots will put anyone in a 80,000lb truck, they don't care. So, what have we learned from 16 kids dying? Only truck drivers go to jail. The owners of the company belong in jail too, and the Province of Alberta should be liable. Every province in Canada refuses to properly train heavy truck drivers to keep trucking rates low. So people will continue to die.

yes....the driver deserves his sentence
but the Co has the culpability here
and have hidden behind incorporation and bankruptcy
Co principle will carry on with his ****** practices under a new name

It will be interesting to see if this gets appealed. The sentence seems long compares to the precedents. Does it have to be sidhu that appeals or can an outside party appeal on the grounds that it moved he sentencing bar too far?

It will be interesting to see if this gets appealed. The sentence seems long compares to the precedents. Does it have to be sidhu that appeals or can an outside party appeal on the grounds that it moved he sentencing bar too far?

I always have a problem equating intent with outcome. He breaks a basic law, running a stop sign and gets 8 years.

A cager breaks a basic law, makes a left in front of a biker and gets a $600.00 fine.

Neither intended harm but both resulted in death.

yes....the driver deserves his sentence
but the Co has the culpability here
and have hidden behind incorporation and bankruptcy
Co principle will carry on with his ****** practices under a new name

There's no hiding from this. Being incorporated and/or going bankrupt will not let the company owner get away from this. A small company like that... All of the principle's personal assets are probably tied to the corp... as well, any insurance he did have... may be void with the convictions. His insurance company is looking hard for reasons not to have to cover the incident. Even if his insurance does cover him.. It's unlikely he had enough of a policy to cover something of this magnitude..

I'm not sure if it's a provincial matter or not but aren't directors responsible for injuries where negligence is a factor? Subject to personal fines and jail time.

I believe it would fall under provincial.. but yes, directors, principles and even managers can be fined or worse for negligent incidents.

The lawsuits will have named the driver, the trucking company, the bus manufacturer and bus operator and probably more..

The driver most likely can't pay anything meaningful, and will be deported upon release from prison.. So the lawyers will concentrate their efforts on the others.

I believe the trucking company owner was charged as well.

Iirc only with some logbook related issues and not having a safety policy (whatever that is). It's not illegal to hire a freshly licensed (cheap) driver. It wasn't the trucking company who told the driver to run that stop sign.

IIRC the company was charged as well (failure to ensure proper logs or something similar). That company has been declared insolvent and the owner is now running a new trucking company (IIRC with the same truck).

Iirc only with some logbook related issues and not having a safety policy (whatever that is). It's not illegal to hire a freshly licensed (cheap) driver. It wasn't the trucking company who told the driver to run that stop sign.

Sounds like OHS charges. The fine just for not having the safety policy can be $500,000 plus..
not illegal to hire... correct. But he was working for the company, on company time, in a company vehicle, performing work related duties, at the time of the accident.
As well, The company had a duty to ensure the driver was fit for duty, was properly trained, etc... I think it'll be very difficult for the company to claim that the driver was properly trained.. when they didn't even have a safety policy in place.

I don't get it.......3 yrs for molesting a child.....20 yrs for armed robbery....8 yrs for killing 15 with a truck.....wtf is going on with our justice system.... Maybe Justin will give him a buy out ....

Back
Top Bottom