How to verify if helmet is Authentic? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to verify if helmet is Authentic?

My 3 Shark helmets only have ECE 2205 markings on them. All bought in Ontario from dealers.

And that's totally fine for use in Ontario (ECE 2205 is accepted), don't know about other provinces. It's also fine for US states where helmet use is not required, because obviously they don't care. It's theoretically not fine for US states that require helmet use ... they want DOT and don't care about anything else. BUT ... Having a helmet on your head regardless of compliance markings makes the probability of being pulled over extremely low. I've heard of cases in the USA where the cops are specifically pulling riders over to check for "novelty helmets" i.e. they are looking for DOT markings ... it is possible, and you could get caught up in that if it happens to you. A knowledgeable cop might know what ECE 2205 means and spot your out-of-country license plate ... but I wouldn't count on it. "IF helmet doesn't have a DOT marking THEN write ticket" is a lot more likely ...

To clarify something, the DOT standard is the lowest safety standard out there. ECE22.05 and JIS (Japanese certification) are higher safety standards. Then we have the next tier of safety standards which are SHARP and SNELL. If you are riding on the street with this helmet OP, one thing I would be careful about is what your insurance company will accept as a legal standard here, because you know when it comes to substantial payouts they will look for anyway to get out of it. Secondly, I believe any track organization will allow DOT or above standards so you should be good if you want to track with this helmet but it wouldn't hurt to make sure that your helmet is accepted there.

If you find the JIS stickers on the helmet then it is legit. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it, this is your brain after all.

I don't know.

It's not like the Chinese haven't figured out how to counterfeit stickers...

If it's shipped from China and is suspiciously cheaper than everywhere else I can find, then I just assume it's a knock-off.

Sumimasen, I have a Japanese Arai, I'll try to get pictures of the stickers. OP can always ask the seller for pictures of the stickers before he pulls the trigger for peace of mind. Not sure if Aliexpress have a policy on returns like Amazon does.

Track use generally requires ECE2205 or Snell 2015.

There is a new FIM standard in the works that is supposed to specifically address the needs of riders on the racetrack (think MotoGP and WorldSBK) and they are also addressing the potential for counterfeiting. I'm looking forward to those being available to us peons. They're starting to show up ... SHARK INTRODUCES 1ST FIM RACING HOMOLOGATED HELMET

Back
Top Bottom