How the 2021 Ford F-150's onboard generator works | GTAMotorcycle.com

How the 2021 Ford F-150's onboard generator works

D-J

Site Supporter
all-new-f-150-030-jpg-1593190450.jpeg
So you want to plug an entire metal shop's worth of equipment into your pickup truck? Ford says the 2021 F-150 can handle it.

Three different onboard generator systems are available. F-150s with conventional non-hybrid drivetrains get a 2.0-kW system, while hybrid trucks get upgraded to 2.4 kW or, optionally, a massive 7.2 kW of power, made possible by the hybrid's 48-volt lithium-ion battery pack. Ford claims that the top-spec 7.2-kW system can power a plasma cutter, TiG welder, chop saw, air compressor, angle grinder, and work light, simultaneously.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Kind of cool. In many construction applications, your truck isn't parked in the ideal location for a generator but for some this could be good (assuming the price is reasonable). The operating cost per kwh will be horrendous compared to almost any other solution. Having that much power available on-board should make it possible for ford to add an air-compressor in the other fender. For some jobs, being able to back up to the site and have power and air ready to go would be great. It also saves some room and mess in the bed.

The F series biz is HUGE....

"The almost 900,000 F-Series pickups sold last year generated about $42 billion in revenue, ... On its own, F-Series is larger than McDonald's, Nike, Coca-Cola and Starbucks""

Not a truck guy, never have been, but this is damn cool. I'm actually slowly turning towards a truck with age (40) lol...I can see the utility, but I'd need it like 5% of the year.

Kick Ford all you want , but this is a game changer. Municipalities, road work crews, RV'ers, anybody that needs batteries charged, my next F150 will have this.

Not a truck guy, never have been, but this is damn cool. I'm actually slowly turning towards a truck with age (40) lol...I can see the utility, but I'd need it like 5% of the year.

I won't lie, I like trucks, even though I dont own a pick up.

Absolutely blows my mind how 90% of these trucks are used as "cars" I'll never understand the phenomenom.

They're expensive, heavy, gas guzzling, and don't handle or brake particularly well, but hey, they are cool!

an SUV is a much more sensible and practical choice.

Absolutely blows my mind how 90% of these trucks are used as "cars" I'll never understand the phenomenom.

They're expensive, heavy, gas guzzling, and don't handle or brake particularly well, but hey, they are cool!

I started coming around at work. Due to the site conditions we all drive F350 diesels. Comfortable as hell even on ridiculously bumpy roads and 500% more than what we need 99% of the time. But they’ll go through anything.

Kick Ford all you want , but this is a game changer. Municipalities, road work crews, RV'ers, anybody that needs batteries charged, my next F150 will have this.

Game changer? Hardly, nothing new here... except their exaggerated claims... their "mobile metal shop" has a 1700 watt 120 volt TIG welder, and a 1800 watt 120 volt plasma cutter... so you're all set if you're working with tinfoil. (For reference my TIG welder, the smallest TIG welder I have used that actually WORKS, pulls 240V 50Amp).
You can order a GM with a AC 230 volt 20 amp plug in the back since 2010. Dodge has something similar.
I used to custom install and service stuff like this, and I retired in 2012.

Game changer? Hardly, nothing new here... except their exaggerated claims... their "mobile metal shop" has a 1700 watt 120 volt TIG welder, and a 1800 watt 120 volt plasma cutter... so you're all set if you're working with tinfoil. (For reference my TIG welder, the smallest TIG welder I have used that actually WORKS, pulls 240V 50Amp).
You can order a GM with a AC 230 volt 20 amp plug in the back since 2010. Dodge has something similar.
I'm with Bitzz on this.Just because Ford says it will,doesn't necessarily mean it will do it for you.

I laughed at that too. 7200w "simultaneous use", they ignore the start up factor where these devices use 3x the amperage to fire up. I'm certain there will be a few breakers being reset periodically with this set up.

even though I dont own a pick up.

They're expensive, heavy, gas guzzling, and don't handle or brake particularly well,

They handle excellent and brake just fine... What are you basing your statements on?
You've never owned one..

My ten year old F150 4x4 with a 4.6L V8 burns 12L/100km... 'Only slightly more than my wife's 2017 Honda Pilot SUV.
My buddy just bought a 2020 F150 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost and ten speed tranny... 'Friggin thing is fast.
We drove it to Sask. last week... 10.9L/100km.

'Depends on you're definition of "practical"....
The gear I haul isn't going to fit into an SUV
I wouldn't take an SUV into some of the places I drive my pickup...

Last edited:
I laughed at that too. 7200w "simultaneous use", they ignore the start up factor where these devices use 3x the amperage to fire up. I'm certain there will be a few breakers being reset periodically with this set up.
It is possible that it can bridge that spike. It's not like generator manufacturers haven't been including dodgy ratings since the beginning of time (most rated at 20% over their continuous output). It is really hard for anyone to be honest anymore as they will look crap. If it can sustain 7200 watts, that is pretty solid. As Bitzz says, I'm not convinced about running a welder or plasma cutter off it, but it's worth a shot (especially if you are just dealing with light gauge.

Sunny S is refering to trucks... as in Ridgeline.

It is possible that it can bridge that spike. It's not like generator manufacturers haven't been including dodgy ratings since the beginning of time (most rated at 20% over their continuous output). It is really hard for anyone to be honest anymore as they will look crap. If it can sustain 7200 watts, that is pretty solid. As Bitzz says, I'm not convinced about running a welder or plasma cutter off it, but it's worth a shot (especially if you are just dealing with light gauge.
If you have to repair/make something in a remote location that your truck can take you to, it's never light gauge. Lol

They handle excellent and brake just fine... What are you basing your statements on?
You've never owned one..

My ten year old F150 with a 4.6L V8 burns 12L/100km... 'Only slightly more than my wife's 2017 Honda Pilot SUV.

'Depends on you're definition of "practical"....
The gear I haul isn't going to fit into an SUV
I wouldn't take an SUV into some of the places I drive my pickup...
They handle and brake "fine" but by definition worse than a lower, lighter vehicle on paved roads. You just can't put something on stilts without a detriment to on-road handling.

For me, I find a trailer + tow vehicle is a better match than a truck but I know a lot of people with trucks (the vast majority of whom only really need it as a truck a few days a year, the primary purpose is it fits with their self-image). I don't mind dumping loads into the trailer, it can take a load of brush without getting scratched up (well at least with no scratches that change it's value), it is much lower to load and unload and I am not carrying around a huge cargo compartment every day that rarely gets used.

As trucks get more and more expensive (I think the top end has broken six figures), the ability to use them off-road and for work is substantially impaired. Sure, you can use a lambo offroad too, but you just don't because the minor damage it picks up costs you more to deal with than buying a cheap vehicle to use for work. Some friends have trucks that actually get used to tow or haul at least a few days a week and it makes sense for them to own a truck, but they are the exception in my experience.

They handle and brake "fine" but by definition worse than a lower, lighter vehicle on paved roads. You just can't put something on stilts without a detriment to on-road handling.

Given that driving conditions here in the GTA preclude pushing any vehicle to its limits... I think brakes that slow down and stop the vehicle when you press the pedal are more than adequate.
'Gotta compare apples to apples... Or light duty trucks to light duty trucks...

For me, I find a trailer + tow vehicle is a better match than a truck

For me, I find a trailer to be a never ending source of frustration for me and comic relief for those watching me trying to back it up.
I have NEVER been able to get the hang if reversing with a trailer.. LoL

As trucks get more and more expensive (I think the top end has broken six figures), the ability to use them off-road and for work is substantially impaired.

You're paying big dollars for luxury. Trim levels.
I don't think the off road "ability" is compromised, however... The owners "willingness" to take his $100k vehicle off-road may be lacking.
Hell... If i paid $100k for a vehicle I'd be scared to take it out of the garage..!!

You're paying big dollars for luxury. Trim levels.
I don't think the off road "ability" is compromised, however... The owners "willingness" to take his $100k vehicle off-road may be lacking.
Hell... If i paid $100k for a vehicle I'd be scared to take it out of the garage..!!
Ability was probably the wrong word. Practicality is probably a better word. You understood my meaning anyway. Even if your 100K dually is happy with a load of gravel, are you actually going to let the loader drive up and dump it in your bed? Highly unlikely unless 100K is disposable to you. If 100K is disposable to you, why are you transporting gravel in your truck? I miss the old days with Chevy W/T with vinyl floors providing an affordable and practical option for people actually using their trucks for work.

I miss the old days with Chevy W/T with vinyl floors providing an affordable and practical option for people actually using their trucks for work.

I do use mine for "work" type stuff, but I bought it more for "play".

It's easy to understand, it's the same reason people buy Race Replicas for street use. Sensible and practical has zero to do with the decision.

Back
Top Bottom