How often do you ride? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How often do you ride?

On average, how often do you go for a ride?

• I currently don't ride

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Less than once per week.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • 1-2 times per week

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • 3-5 times per week

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • more than 5 times per week

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
Rode once every few weeks until I picked up a zero motorcycle. Now I ride every day. The ICE bike still is ridden every few weeks. The Zero is a great commuter.

I try to get in 1-2 longer trips per year and a longer day ride every 2 weeks. Sprinkle in some errands and occasional commuting or the odd weekday group ride and it means I'm riding around 30-40k/year.

Fingers crossed for a fall run to Deals Gap!

With a little one running around these days I don't get out for rides nearly as often as I used to. I've never been a huge fan of riding for commuting to work. So these days all my mileage is fun rides, no business/commuting.

But I still do a ride up to cottage country at least twice a month. I usually watch the weather looking for a day between Tues-Thurs to avoid the weekend crowds/traffic, and my ideal day is mid 20s high, or mix of cloud coverage if slightly warmer. And if I want to leave earlier in the day, a warmer over night low to start the day with. A typical ride is ~600 km total over maybe 7 hours. I try to get home at a reasonable time to spend time with the LO before bedtime.

So I'm probably ~7.5K km a year give or take. Used to be 10-14 before kids. Mostly posted because I'm doing some variation of this route and back tomorrow.
21633a528d1b7a87eb6e679e870cb89c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

I try to ditch the car if possible so I ride to work and on the weekends 4-5 days a week average is about right

Once a week for me. I've also noticed when I do go on a ride, the duration of the ride is gradually reduced.

I used to go on 7-8 hour rides frequently when I got my first bike about 11-12 years ago. Now after about an hour or so I start thinking about heading back home for the following reasons:
  • I'm genuinely just bored of all the roads we have within short riding distance, and don't look forward to riding 1+ hour(s) just to hit a few twisties (I'm in DT Toronto area for reference)
    • I make a game out of dodging pot holes keep myself entertained
  • Got a 3 month old now to deal with
  • I get tired quicker
The past 3 rides have been to the grocery store, only so I don't have to pay for street parking.

I've thought about selling the bike a few times (before and after our newborn), but then I go in the garage and look at how well I've taken care of it for the past 4-5 years and just can't do it. 😂

I commute to work 5 days a week. It's a short ride, but it counts(?). Do the odd late night rip in the city when traffic dies down.

Try to do a nice ride every weekend, though not many friends riding much these days so I don't go out every weekend. Like to go with one other person usually - makes it more fun... Hopefully get some camping trips in this year too... So sick of the city...

I’m typically on my dirt bike 2-4 times a week. Need to pick up a trials bike at some point so I can play around at home.

Pull the street bike out when I’m not feeling lazy. Usually once a week or so.

Average 10k km a season

I did ~20K last year (which given Covid I was actually surprised with) but I think that's what burned me out of Ontario honestly - not being able to go south or even really do much outside the province due to the various restrictions (or decisions to just not do it because of the risks) means I covered so much of the Ontario that It's really taken the enjoyment out of it for me. The trip to Pickle Lake was a cool adventure, and there was a loop up through Chapleau that was cool, but the rest...saaaaameee ollllld roaaadddsss....over and over again.

The year before that I did just under 30,000km but that involved a few big trips - Wyoming in the summer for Sturgis, and then down to the dragon in the fall, etc etc. That racks miles fast.

This year, faaack, I think I might have 2000km on so far.

Once the border opens up however I can pile on 4-5000km in a week though (some ideas in mind for as soon as it does) but I think I'm probably going to end up with something in the 10-15K range by the time it's all done.

With a little one running around these days I don't get out for rides nearly as often as I used to. I've never been a huge fan of riding for commuting to work. So these days all my mileage is fun rides, no business/commuting.

But I still do a ride up to cottage country at least twice a month. I usually watch the weather looking for a day between Tues-Thurs to avoid the weekend crowds/traffic, and my ideal day is mid 20s high, or mix of cloud coverage if slightly warmer. And if I want to leave earlier in the day, a warmer over night low to start the day with. A typical ride is ~600 km total over maybe 7 hours. I try to get home at a reasonable time to spend time with the LO before bedtime.

So I'm probably ~7.5K km a year give or take. Used to be 10-14 before kids. Mostly posted because I'm doing some variation of this route and back tomorrow.
21633a528d1b7a87eb6e679e870cb89c.jpg

Pretty much did thay route as well as going past Bala to hit Southwood as well. Just under 600km total.

In terms of noteworthy events, just north of Barrie on the 400 just before the 400/11 split had construction closing off the right lane. Some vehicles and notably at least one tractor trailer could not get out of the right lane in time and took out at least a few large cylindrical pylons weighed down by the cut off side wall from an old truck tire. The pylon went flying and mostly forward and to the right towards construction, and sent a few of those sidewalls tumbling down the highway.

A couple cars saw the impact between truck and pylons and everyone slowed down. I was in middle of 3 lanes. The sidewalls were tumbling mostly straight and drifting to the left across the lanes. I couldn't pass them to the left before they cut across my path and didn't want to slow down too much and risk getting rear ended so I split the gap between two of them. From what I could see in the mirrors, looks like traffic tried to slow down and let them tumble all the way across all lanes.

Somewhere east of 400 on 38, I hit a bird with my helmet. It was flying parallel to my path towards me and maybe 9-12' diagonal up and to the right. Suddenly it decided to dive to its right and down and went off the top/side of my helmet. More of a glancing impact so I'm hoping it survived.

And as I was heading back along the same route on Tally Ho Swords, after going north on the same road a few minutes earlier in the opposite direction, looked like a guy on a cruiser went down due to some sand that washed across a low section of road likely from a heavy rain fall not long ago. I remember seeing it as I was cresting and the road dipped to the left. I had time to slow it down and do most of my turning before and after the worst of it.

Looked like he was with two buddies. Everyone on cruisers, half or three quarter helmets at most, t shirts and jeans. I had just gone through there at most 40 minutes ago. He was still lying on the edge of the road with friends pulled over, one of them on the phone. Looked like he low sided to the left. Left forearm was badly rashed, and jeans ripped up and shredded on the left side. I slowed down and asked if I could help. I got a thumbs up from the guy on the phone and the guy on the floor lifted his head up to acknowledge my asking and other than likely being in some state of shock and pain, seemed with it and like he could likely ride home if the bike could.

Probably lead bike, low sided on the sand. There's no Google Street view on that road so I can't confirm but based on satellite view I think it was around Swords just south of Maple lake. If you're a member on here, hope it wasn't too bad. He probably low sided at 50 km/h at most.

went out for a spin for the first time in almost 3wks. sensory overload. my head is still buzzing from the sound of L twin. what a joyous occasion....

The trip to Pickle Lake was a cool adventure, and there was a loop up through Chapleau that was cool,
Was not!!! ....was hot as hell ....34 in Chapleau in JUNE!!!! :giggle:
But yeah it was fun......the only "cool" bit was the 9 degree zero viz fog north of the Sault. Been a while since I was that cold.

Back
Top Bottom