How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400

Back on my FZ when there was no traffic (in the mid eighties) I did it once in 25 minutes from bottom of 400 to bayly.

Miss those days...

BB

So i know its been said... but again... friday traffic when all of cottage country toronto is going up...

Also youll be spending about 3 shifts a week commuting. So its like youre doing 8 days dedicated to work per week. I know you cant do the go train, but even then, you could just sleep an additional 1.5-2hrs which isnt negligable.

Mind.

Blown.

everyone wants the best for the least. I would much rather live on a warm year round island somewhere but they have poor wages and hurricanes. I would like Toronto pay with country expenses. May as well throw in a wife that doesn't complain. aint gonna happen unless you get really lucky, and if thats the case buy a lotto ticket.
as had been said, get a cheap place in the city to just live. and weekends get the heck outta dodge and enjoy yourself out of the district

650 per month! That is one of the reasons it is so low. There are lots of deals like that and usually it is either a co-op(very hard to get the banks to give you the money) and/or the maint is very high.
Yikes! That's almost 1/2 my mortgage payment

That's still pretty good for the city.
What would maint fees be?
Maintenance and taxes are around $850 I think. Includes utilities, cable, fitness club, security.

There are some colourful characters in the area due to a large TCHC complex next door. Depending on your perspective that could just add flavour. Or you could just ignore them.

So i know its been said... but again... friday traffic when all of cottage country toronto is going up...

Also youll be spending about 3 shifts a week commuting. So its like youre doing 8 days dedicated to work per week. I know you cant do the go train, but even then, you could just sleep an additional 1.5-2hrs which isnt negligable.

Mind.

Blown.

Gone are the days when cottage traffic is on Friday at 4-6pm. Most cottagers leave the city Friday morning/day or Thursday evening. Last year Thursdays were far worse then Fridays but it still only added 10min to my drive home.

Its not just cottage traffic anymore, every friday you get all the thousands of folks that moved to barrie, angus, midland and orillia but still work in Toronto and want to go home.
Then add all the monkeys that didnt get a cottage but have a big boat tied in Penetang and Horny Harbor and PointauBucket and you get the traffic that doesnt ease fridays till about 9 just south of North Bay.
Thanks but no.

Its not just cottage traffic anymore, every friday you get all the thousands of folks that moved to barrie, angus, midland and orillia but still work in Toronto and want to go home.
Then add all the monkeys that didnt get a cottage but have a big boat tied in Penetang and Horny Harbor and PointauBucket and you get the traffic that doesnt ease fridays till about 9 just south of North Bay.
Thanks but no.
Thankfully it's light until late so I can fly my plane up to the cottage lake just after dinner.

Heard on radio this morning the 400was rammed. I think you would expect a delay at least once a week

Heard on radio this morning the 400was rammed. I think you would expect a delay at least once a week

2nd time this week.

southbound from 407 was down to 1 lane the other day, during morning rush. Forget that noise.

I could never do that. You can't put a price on sanity

I did 5 years (2008-2013) commuting from Barrie to Toronto before I moved to Waterloo. Majority of it was go train but I had over a year to Steeles/Vic Park and another 1+ years to Dixie/Eg. It's not ideal, and it certainly isn't for everyone -- get Sat radio or some good podcasts and the time flies by.

I'm actually going to be moving back to Barrie and doing the commute again in about 5 weeks, to me having a place outside of Toronto to raise my son and a nice property far outweigh the commute.*

*I work from home 2ish times per week but I would still do it even if I didn't.

So glad I got a job north of Barrie so I commute to opposite way.

When I had to drive from Newmarket back to Barrie, If I took the 400 it would take me about 2 hours on a Friday in the summer. That same run is typically 30-40 minutes. I found if I went up Old Barrie road just east of the 400 it was faster.

I live in Barrie and work mostly in Toronto, but all over the place. I find driving down from Barrie to be easier access to the city then coming in from either the west side of east side. I have way more options open to me. Over the years I have found you need to be on the 400, south of 88 by 5:45am if you want to miss the traffic.

If I need to go to the west end I can take the 400, or Weston, or 27 if need be. If i'm going to the east end I can cut across Bradford and go down the 404, Woodbine or or York/Durham line if my destination is east of the city. I'm up by 4:30 and on the road by just after 5 usually. I'm always at my first job site before 7 unless there is an major accident or weather issue. Neither are usually a problem at that hour.

Most of my days i'm heading home from my shop in Pickering around 5pm. It takes less than 2 hours, I don't hit a 400 series highway and I rarely ever run into many other cars nevermind actual traffic. Even on a Friday of a long weekend the routes I take have very little traffic. My brother leaves the shop at the same time and lives at College and Dufferin and takes him over an hour.

Did anybody else notice the signs on the 400 indicating that the 400SB ramp to the 401EB will be down to 1 lane April 8th to December? That is going to be an adventure.

Moved from Woodbridge to Barrie 8yrs ago and never looked back. Only problem is everyone is moving up here now that the number 1 reason why I left the city is haunting me back now.

Thankfully it's light until late so I can fly my plane up to the cottage lake just after dinner.

Now theres an idea! My buddies dad does that too... only problem is,where do you put the bikes?

Back
Top Bottom