How important is continuous insurance in Ontario? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How important is continuous insurance in Ontario?

A buddy in his 60's didn't renew the insurance on a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat etc) due to an illness in the family. When he went to renew after four years his insurer wouldn't talk to him without him putting a sack of gold on the table. Another agent basically told him that if he packaged everything, house, cottage, several vehicles etc it would get things going. I don't know if he's resolved the situation yet.

I guess it can vary depending on each case. I got another quote for 1k/year once I bundled with a car, of course that will likely be the one that I go with. Has he tried asking other companies? Is it his previous insurer that is denying him coverage now?

A buddy in his 60's didn't renew the insurance on a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat etc) due to an illness in the family. When he went to renew after four years his insurer wouldn't talk to him without him putting a sack of gold on the table. Another agent basically told him that if he packaged everything, house, cottage, several vehicles etc it would get things going. I don't know if he's resolved the situation yet.
Not as many things insured, but the same **** happened to me.
I'm in year 2 of the comeback.

Not as many things insured, but the same **** happened to me.
I'm in year 2 of the comeback.
Brutal, I guess once you get insurance on these things you should just leave it on. I'm assuming they don't care if you sell your toys either? Same thing still applies?

Brutal, I guess once you get insurance on these things you should just leave it on. I'm assuming they don't care if you sell your toys either? Same thing still applies?
they dont care.

just buy a grom before you take a break and park it. costs $40/month

An agent I know said to get listed on someone else's policy even though you will never use their vehicle. That however might affect the friend's rates if you are higher risk.

Yeah I had the same concern, I asked if it was guaranteed and he said it was guaranteed for 30 days as long as all the info I gave was accurate. My biggest fear is buying the bike and then not being able to get the coverage. Hope it all goes through okay.

This happened to me this year. Was quoted by the broker $890 for the year, gave VIN and everything. Signed all the documents, had a temp pink slip, bought and registered the bike - all good. Get an email a few days later that the broker double checked with the insurance company I was quoted and was mistaken, will only insure my bike at $4300 a year - nothing they could do about it.

So had to shop for days and find something remotely attainable, but nothing like $890 a year. With that said though you mentioned having a few sports cars and looking to buy a Ducati. I dont know your financial situation but is $2000 a year for motorcycle insurance really that big of a deterrent for you? Be like buying the Ferarri and complaining about the ultra gas prices.

This happened to me this year. Was quoted by the broker $890 for the year, gave VIN and everything. Signed all the documents, had a temp pink slip, bought and registered the bike - all good. Get an email a few days later that the broker double checked with the insurance company I was quoted and was mistaken, will only insure my bike at $4300 a year - nothing they could do about it.

So had to shop for days and find something remotely attainable, but nothing like $890 a year. With that said though you mentioned having a few sports cars and looking to buy a Ducati. I dont know your financial situation but is $2000 a year for motorcycle insurance really that big of a deterrent for you? Be like buying the Ferarri and complaining about the ultra gas prices.

Yeah sorry to hear that bud, I think I actually came across your thread which is what raised my concern about that. Luckily I spoke to a few brokers and have multiple quotes from different brokers, all of which I'm okay with, so I do have a few backup plans at least. I'm absolutely okay with 2k for the year, I was thrilled when I got those quotes. I just wasn't okay with paying 10k for a bike that costs 20k, that just feels a little absurd to me. As soon as I got the quote for 2k I went and put a deposit on the Panigale. Since then I've received a quote for 1k for the year which is even better. Either way I've got a few options that I'll be able to go with, just waiting for the bike now.

You signed the documents and purchased the bike only to find out the premium was 5x? Time to lawyer up.

You signed the documents and purchased the bike only to find out the premium was 5x? Time to lawyer up.
Most of the quotes include clauses like "subject to underwriting". At least auto/bike insurance underwrites before the policy is in force instead of taking your money and then telling you after a claim that it was invalid (like health/life insurance).

40b690a1-233d-44e7-84a9-a6102679e649.jpg

It's finally here and insured for less than $900 for the year. So I just wanted to clarify for those of you who are in the same boat as I was because there's some incorrect information in this thread. Certain insurers are more concerned about the amount of time you've had your full M as opposed to previous insurance so if you have had your M for many years, have a perfectly clean record, and no accidents I think you'll be able to find reasonably priced insurance just fine. Thank you to Chris South at Surnet for helping me out with everything.

Last edited:
View attachment 50009

It's finally here and insured for less than $900 for the year. So I just wanted to clarify for those of you who are in the same boat as I was because there's some incorrect information in this thread. Certain insurers are more concerned about the amount of time you've had your full M as opposed to previous insurance so if you have had your M for many years, have a perfectly clean record, and no accidents I think you'll be able to find insurance just fine. Thank you to Chris South at Surnet for helping me out with everything.
Well this right here is incorrect, you can ALWAYS find insurance. No one said you couldn't.

You swung a godly rate, be happy and enjoy.

Well this right here is incorrect, you can ALWAYS find insurance. No one said you couldn't.

You swung a godly rate, be happy and enjoy.
Well that's all I was referring to, I meant getting a reasonable rate instead of something crazy like 10k.

Back
Top Bottom