How important is continuous insurance in Ontario? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How important is continuous insurance in Ontario?

2021-Honda-CBR650R.jpg

Cbr650r insurance is still somewhat reasonable. The only detractors (and they're significant) are initial purchase price new, and wet weight pushing 470 lbs

Fwiw many of the non ss models actually make better street bikes. Many have near to or full fairing and the power band is down lower in the rev range where it’s more useful on the street. I know, it doesn’t give the same street cred, but having to get into illegal speeds in first gear to really enjoy the engine’s sweet spot is far from ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I bought the Rs600 a little over a month ago and pay about 180$ a month for liability only (25yrs old, Toronto, 5 years continuous converge full M). You'd probably pay more than that but it wont be anywhere near the price of a Ducati SS. It only has 100hp but its tuned to produce it lower in the rev range so its very usable around town and the amount of tech/ features it comes with is insane . Having ridden a Panigale 1299 I can tell you that I dont miss the power around town at all. You can use all the power without going crazy illegal speeds and you actually get out of first gear unlike most higher cc SS. Only problem is that their backordered like crazy and every time a dealer gets one they sell within a day or two. Yamaha also has a New R7 that got unveiled today, it should have about the same power as the RS600 but with less tech or higher end parts so it should be cheaper.

Yeah it's looking like I'll have to go with an RS660 or a CBR650. Just kind of weird because when I started out I learned on a 250 and then rode a Gixxer 750 for a few years so I feel like it's going to feel like a bit of a downgrade but we'll see how it goes. By the way, does anyone know about Wawanesa's 6 year rule? Is it just 6 years with a full M or 6 years with a full M as well as 6 years of continuous coverage?

Yeah it's looking like I'll have to go with an RS660 or a CBR650. Just kind of weird because when I started out I learned on a 250 and then rode a Gixxer 750 for a few years so I feel like it's going to feel like a bit of a downgrade but we'll see how it goes. By the way, does anyone know about Wawanesa's 6 year rule? Is it just 6 years with a full M or 6 years with a full M as well as 6 years of continuous coverage?

Always continuous coverage

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

For instance Tuono insurance is normally a lot less than RSV insurance even though they are both plenty fast.
I know there are others here with cheapo Tuono insurance, but when I moved back from BC, I called everyone I could find (including the companies where others have deals), and either got refused outright (sportbike refusal or >1000 cc refusal) or given rates substantially similar to any other litre supersport. Most companies described it as a sportbike. I'm 43 with 20+ years riding, no tickets (on record) and no claims.

The only thing that bit me was my interrupted insurance in BC due to the different rules there, though as is usual in the obfuscation and BS-heavy world of Ontario insurance, nobody would tell me how much of a difference that actually made. I've asked in a number of places (including the insurance folks who are kind enough to answer questions here), and never got anything even approaching a straight answer...

It just came out, give the kids a season or two to wrap them around a few trees.

Or for an actuary or two to actually see a picture of one and immediately slam it into sportbike jail. I'm not convinced their 'classification' system is any more nuanced than that...

shouldn't be, but they make a naked version.
Depends on your insurance company.
Allstate has introduced a new category - Super Nakeds. Pretty much all the big power naked bikes are lumped into it -- Superduke, Tuono, Diavel, ZH2...
Category is inbetween the Sport Touring and Super Sport pricing, closer to SS pricing...

Well it did something. You might be looking at 8-10K instead of 10-12K. Every year with a bike drops your risk (and therefore premium). I can't remember how long that takes to bottom out. I think three years gets you most of the way there and maybe seven for max?
The drop in rates is a gradual slope vs the cliff you have to climb if you make a mistake. Turning 30 isn't like winning a lottery or having a rich uncle pay off your mortgage.

I just got a quote for 2k for the year for the Panigale. That's with a broker on this forum, apparently its rare to find someone with no tickets/accidents at my age and amount of time with the M. I made it clear that I have no prior motorcycle insurance either so I guess there's still hope for supersports as long as people keep their records clean.

I just got a quote for 2k for the year for the Panigale. That's with a broker on this forum, apparently its rare to find someone with no tickets/accidents at my age and amount of time with the M. I made it clear that I have no prior motorcycle insurance either so I guess there's still hope for supersports as long as people keep their records clean.
Wow. Hopefully that works out for you. Just be careful and try to document everything. Quotes don't always materialize.

Wow. Hopefully that works out for you. Just be careful and try to document everything. Quotes don't always materialize.

Yep.

There is no guarantee until the pink slip is in your mailbox. Then there is no guarantee they don’t come back and say ‘sorry’.

Yeah I had the same concern, I asked if it was guaranteed and he said it was guaranteed for 30 days as long as all the info I gave was accurate. My biggest fear is buying the bike and then not being able to get the coverage. Hope it all goes through okay.

Yeah I had the same concern, I asked if it was guaranteed and he said it was guaranteed for 30 days as long as all the info I gave was accurate. My biggest fear is buying the bike and then not being able to get the coverage. Hope it all goes through okay.
Pay cash for the bike or at least have the means to pay off the loan quickly.

If it goes south and you can’t insure it the last thing you want is to be stuck with it.

It depends on so many factors, but in my experience - No, continuous insurance does not matter.

I used to have a 2010 GSX-R600 in 2019 paying almost $500 a month for insurance. Eventually canceled because the bike was stolen. Insert sad face.

I called just recently, same broker, same insurance company and they quoted me $315. Nothing changed besides my age going from 23 to 25 and "riding experience" adding an additional two years and going from M2 to M. That is my experience.

I bought the Rs600 a little over a month ago and pay about 180$ a month for liability only (25yrs old, Toronto, 5 years continuous converge full M). You'd probably pay more than that but it wont be anywhere near the price of a Ducati SS. It only has 100hp but its tuned to produce it lower in the rev range so its very usable around town and the amount of tech/ features it comes with is insane . Having ridden a Panigale 1299 I can tell you that I dont miss the power around town at all. You can use all the power without going crazy illegal speeds and you actually get out of first gear unlike most higher cc SS. Only problem is that their backordered like crazy and every time a dealer gets one they sell within a day or two. Yamaha also has a New R7 that got unveiled today, it should have about the same power as the RS600 but with less tech or higher end parts so it should be cheaper.
You bought a brand new RS660 and dont have comp insurance? What if it gets jacked?

You bought a brand new RS660 and dont have comp insurance? What if it gets jacked?
I only use the RS660 for riding and not commuting so it never gets parked outside. Rest of the time it stays in my garage so it getting stolen isn't a big concern for me. I do however have full coverage on my other bike which I do commute with.

It depends on so many factors, but in my experience - No, continuous insurance does not matter.

I used to have a 2010 GSX-R600 in 2019 paying almost $500 a month for insurance. Eventually canceled because the bike was stolen. Insert sad face.

I called just recently, same broker, same insurance company and they quoted me $315. Nothing changed besides my age going from 23 to 25 and "riding experience" adding an additional two years and going from M2 to M. That is my experience.
Yeah I actually had the conversation with a broker and they told me the amount of time with the M license is much more important than continuous coverage. I got two quotes from different brokers around the 2k a year mark on the Panigale V2. I also got quotes for a GSX-R 750, an Aprilia 660 and a CBR 650 and they were all within $10/month of each other. The bikes hardly seemed to matter.

A buddy in his 60's didn't renew the insurance on a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat etc) due to an illness in the family. When he went to renew after four years his insurer wouldn't talk to him without him putting a sack of gold on the table. Another agent basically told him that if he packaged everything, house, cottage, several vehicles etc it would get things going. I don't know if he's resolved the situation yet.

Back
Top Bottom