How far is too far? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How far is too far?

@bigpoppa what can you do with only a G3? I’ve seen some schools offer online courses for that designation but it’s been a while

@bigpoppa I think you have my #
Text me or dm me
I know some people

Or if you want, I can probably get you an interview for some temporary work to get you through until things start up again

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@bigpoppa what can you do with only a G3? I’ve seen some schools offer online courses for that designation but it’s been a while

This is the gist of it(looked it up just now)
-Your work has to be checked and signed off on by a G2
Under general supervision of a G2 you are somewhat restricted(general means they may not be on site but maybe a phone call away):
-You can install/test/activate/purge gas piping/tubing downstream of a meter that is less than 2 1/2" diameter
-You can reactivate an already installed appliance
-Clean/replace/remove flue gas venting
-Clean/lubricate appliances
-you are NOT allowed to perform initial activation.

Under direct supervision(meaning they are on site with you):
-You can basically do everything they are allowed to do with their license
I believe the largest appliances a G2 is allowed to work with max is 400000 Btu

If your a helper, your working most likely with a technician most of the time anyway so it works out

This is the gist of it(looked it up just now)
-Your work has to be checked and signed off on by a G2
Under general supervision of a G2 you are somewhat restricted(general means they may not be on site but maybe a phone call away):
-You can install/test/activate/purge gas piping/tubing downstream of a meter that is less than 2 1/2" diameter
-You can reactivate an already installed appliance
-Clean/replace/remove flue gas venting
-Clean/lubricate appliances
-you are NOT allowed to perform initial activation.

Under direct supervision(meaning they are on site with you):
-You can basically do everything they are allowed to do with their license
I believe the largest appliances a G2 is allowed to work with max is 400000 Btu

If your a helper, your working most likely with a technician most of the time anyway so it works out
You mean I need a ticket to adjust my gas burning appliances that were installed by someone with a ticket that never went near them with a gauge (neither supply nor manifold side)?

You mean I need a ticket to adjust my gas burning appliances that were installed by someone with a ticket that never went near them with a gauge (neither supply nor manifold side)?

You can, you're exempt if:
-Your installing or servicing an appliance in a detached home, that you live in and own, but you cannot activate a new appliance it unless you have a license

To add onto what @Brian P stated....anytime you’re in a trade that needs verifications to perform work you’re way ahead of the curve.
Lots of professional ‘painters’ there who lost their job, picked up a brush....’look at me...I’m a pro!’

Been looking for work and understandably not many people are hiring right now, im thinking about applying to places further away from the GTA...

I will be looking at pay and the individual employers as well, if the pay is decent and they have benefits its worthwhile

for those who have had to commute/travel longer distances daily for work, whats your experience been like? How far did you have to travel daily? How long was the 2 way commute? Does it wear you down after a while? What if the commute is west and away from toronto and the traffic?

Did you like it/hate it/were indifferent?

any longer than an hour one way and you have to consider if the extra pay is worth it

for a good career with a good company you may need to look at relocating
GTA companies have such a huge pool to choose from there's no need to pay well

upending your life and that of your family over a job is a huge gamble though
you can end up being a hero or a goat
no way to know which until after you've made the move

First question is career vs job, different end games and time frames.

I am in Etobicoke and reverse commute QEW to Burlington and Hamilton (different days). The traffic has been good and has been realy bad. It really does wear you down specially if you are by yourself and not car pooling. Some flexibility in hours helps but is not the end all be all. Traffic was getting worse, then got very light in 2008, been building from there to be really bad before COVID hit. Light again now but will build as things recover.

Calculate cost into the equation, fuel, wear and tear, transit etc. Remember these are mostly if not entirely after tax. Long commute this will be thousands (maybe multiple) per year.

If it is just a job, well you can consider it short term to pay the bills and to jump quickly to something closer in the near future.

If it is a career, you will likely be there longer but you should have an end game or it should be worth while towards that.

I am a strong believer that when you buy it should be strategically where your future career opportunities are, not just where the current job is. I live in the west end of TO as most of my potential career employers are somewhere west to north west of Toronto, which keeps me in a reverse commute scenario.

I like the kind of job where you wake up and you are already at work, then when you are on ski vacation in Whistler you get a phone call confirming you just sold 80 grand worth of microscope equipment at 10% commission and a 14 thousand dollar service contract (y)

I like the kind of job where you wake up and you are already at work, then when you are on ski vacation in Whistler you get a phone call confirming you just sold 80 grand worth of microscope equipment at 10% commission and a 14 thousand dollar service contract (y)
You answer your phone on vacation?

NOPE. I'll read the email when i'm back home/hotel room wifi thank you.

Then again, i prefer the vacation where there's no cell phone reception to begin with.

I'm retired now but my commute was always between 1 hour - 2.5 hours each way on a normal day since I can remember. You put up with what you have to in order to provide the best you can for yourself and your family. For the last 10 years of my work life, I lived in Brampton and worked in East Oshawa (east of the GM plant). That was 1.5 - 2.5 each way depending on time of day and weather. Fortunately, my company paid my 407 bill, which was about a grand a month. Snow storms were the worst. In my later years, I'd just take a vacation day if decent snow was predicted. Towards the end of my time there, I was working from home quite often, even though that was frowned upon. At that point, I didn't really care. The severance would have been sweet if they tossed me ;) Bottom line, you do what ya have to. It ain't pretty but it's doable. Gives you lots of "alone time"!

Going to start going to work from Oshawa to bottom of Black creek drive... I think I'm going to be FCu%$#!

lol when I started you had a thing called a telephone answering machine that recorded conversations on magnetic tape :| Then came the cell phones that were powerful enough to give you brain cancers.

Service was always fun.

Reactions: J_F
whoring for commission on big ticket items for a living
yeah, you need to always be taking calls

I did it for a decade and it was refreshing to go back to maintenance
eff the phone, someone else can figure it out when I'm off work
Yeah no thanks. Vacation is for unplugging, I treat it like punching a clock back in the hourly days. Soon as I board that plane I'm not spending a shred of my time thinking about work.

Yeah no thanks. Vacation is for unplugging, I treat it like punching a clock back in the hourly days. Soon as I board that plane I'm not spending a shred of my time thinking about work.
It depends how much vacation you take. I know some people that travel almost as much as they are at home. Work mornings or evenings, then vacation for the rest of the day. It's not for everyone, but it is hard to travel six months a year where you are fully checked out (unless you have already saved a crapton).

It depends how much vacation you take. I know some people that travel almost as much as they are at home. Work mornings or evenings, then vacation for the rest of the day. It's not for everyone, but it is hard to travel six months a year where you are fully checked out (unless you have already saved a crapton).
I wouldnt consider that vacation. Again I'm talking about specifically unplugging from work. Half days don't cut it imo.

6 months? The dream!

I’ve been living in St Catharines for about 6-7 years now. Many residents commute from here to Hamilton for work. It’s a great place to live, reasonably cheap and close to a lot. The only draw back is when we have to travel anywhere east of Toronto. Family in Chesterville and Ottawa etc. It just sucks having to go through Toronto. Lots of outdoor activity such as fishing, hiking, cycling etc. Some nice roads for riding/motoring.

I’ve lived in Brampton to work in Toronto from 2001-2006 and hated the commute.

Just depends on the work you do. Friends in concrete live in Fort Erie and keep their work in the area of Fort Erie to St Catharines and there is plenty to keep busy and no need to branch farther out.

For me, work from home and with current conditions, it may change my road meets to Skype from present to future.

Wife lives here and commutes to Burlington/Hamilton daily. She is beat by the the end of the week. So, she limits her hours which also affects her income to be home for dinner with the family.

Everyone is different. I don’t mind driving and enjoy travelling. Been across Canada from coast to coast except for the territories.

However, when you commute and end up parked on the highway due to weather or construction or an accident and watching Waze on the regular, it gets tiring real fast.

If you can avoid it or find a way to live where you work, highly recommend that route over the commute. Ride or drive for fun or visiting friends and family, enjoyment, camping, riding etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going to start going to work from Oshawa to bottom of Black creek drive... I think I'm going to be FCu%$#!
I remember that as bad as the traffic was eastbound in the AM and westbound in the evening, it was even worse going the other way on the 401. The only alternative is the 407 and that gets hugely expensive.

When I graduated in the middle of a recession, jobs were scarce and the only job offer I got was an hour away. That commute wore on me, wasting over two hours of my life every day inside a shtbox econocar (only thing I could afford) that took forever to warm up in the winters, and the paper-thin sheet metal letting in all sorts of road-noise, passing trucks, etc. on the 400-series highways. Two hours of that every single day.

I scoured the job sites, Monster, Workopolis, or whatever it was back then, etc every single day looking to escape that hellish commute. A year later, the economy picked up and job openings and offers became plentiful again. I got out the first chance I could get.

Take the job. Do the commute. Do what you got to do to pay the bills.

But keep an eye on the exit door and don't stop looking for a better deal. I know people stuck for a long time in low-paying, crappy jobs, with crappy work/commuting conditions just because they got complacent and never bothered to look for another job once a regular paycheque started coming in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom