How do naked bikes do on highway? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do naked bikes do on highway?

stevenleung0000

I sold my ZX-6R two years ago, and I am thinking getting back on riding.
I am thinking of getting a naked bike instead of a sport bike this time though.
So how does a naked bike's comfort differ from a sport bike on highway speed?
I used to go between 120-130km/h on the 401, and ride for about 1.5 hours, and I found it quite comfortable if there is no traffic on my zx6r.
But I heard the wind can go pretty strong against you on a naked bike because of the upright position.
If I plan to do 80% highway, 20% city, is it better to get sport bike?

All the naked bikes I've ridden on the highway were fine up to around 130-140 for sustained duration. Some days when the wind is already intense then you obviously feel it more. If you get a windscreen of any sort, even a shorty screen, it will help.

I do 8-10hr rides with some people on naked bikes and by that point it does start to wear you down, but this is also made a bit worse if you are not in shape.

Lastly, riding on the 401 with all the vehicular traffic means there are all kinds of wind blasts that make it more draining. Open it up to the same speeds on a 2 lane country road and it's quite a different feeling.

if your 80% highway is accurate you'll notice a difference. Wind buffeting will get uncomfortable at highway speeds after a while. At least it does for me

I had a Yamaha FZ6R and rode that on the 401 from Cambridge to Cornwall no problem...my FZ07 on the other hand, I personally don't like it on the highway...even with a windscreen, I find the wind buffeting too much...it's a great bike for country roads in my opinion...

Windy.
You keep trying to fall forward, but the darn wind just keeps pushing you back.
Give the bike the right shape and the wind will feel like it is pushing you forward.

With no windscreen, anything over 130 will be rough after 30-40mins. Depending on your helmet, shoulder checks will be a pain too.
But add on any type of windscreen and it'll help immensely. If your bike doesnt have OEM options there's always universal ones.
I got this and it works wonders:
1591621006377.png

I loved my CB500F for the upright position. But anything about 120 and it started getting tiring fast. I'm only 5'7 and it was tiring. I'd say the taller you are, the harder it will be.

I've tried the windscreens, and they help sure. But if you're tall they'll just move the wind from your chest, to your neck/helmet and cause more strain there.

Go for a ride on a few and decide, but if I was mainly doing highways again, I wouldn't go for an upright again.

I had the 2005 naked SV650N with factory little fairing seemed ok. Moved to a 2007 Bandit 650 next sweet ride good position for 6 foot rider. Bit heavier bike. Back to a DL650 now. Missed full luggage and the very neutral feel of the bike.

The true test is this: If it starts to rain and you are riding at cruising speed, how long will you stay relatively dry?

My buddies with their nakeds havent complained about it. I have a cb500x and it has a small windscreen and another problem that comes up of wind buffeting which can be worse that just clean wind hitting you.

Concur, stay below 140 and you'll be fine. I'm not going to say you won't feel anything but its not 'uncomfortable' until then, imo.

I added a Givi windshield for my naked bike.
images

Like most said, at speeds of 140 and above you start to feel it..even if you tuck yourself in.
Don't even think about it if you are broad shouldered on the highway - you will definitely need a bike with fairings to help with aero for sure.

Have been riding naked bikes for the past 7 years, and as others have stated, long stretches on the 401 can be tiring on days with headwinds when above 140.

Note that slimmer fitting gear makes a significant difference in riding comfort.

Some naked bike owners go crazy getting screens of every size to get their cocoon of comfort and in my opinion should have stayed with a faired bike.

My current bike (BMW R1200R) came with a “sport shield” and I use it for touring but will avoid 401 and interstate when nicer backroad options are available and did this too when I rode a failed bike.
Once it warms up, I remove the screen and it is quite remarkable how quiet the bike is up to 140.

I have done 800 Km rides to Calabogie and back on my F800r and then walked a twilight round of golf carrying my clubs.

With 80% highway planned, you may want to look at a “sports adventure” bike like Tiger 800, Tracer 900, Ducati Multistrada or BMW F900XR

9D452C97-7C7A-40FB-BFB3-5E706FE89851.jpeg

Last edited:
Never really felt it was an issue... I went from VFR800, to Dorsoduro and now to a Tuono on the street and it didn't really change much in that regard.

You'd still be more comfortable going from a sport bike to a naked anyway, the wind is a minor factor. And really, at 130-140kmh sitting on the highway are you seriously tucking behind the screen? Probably not, so you will only lose the small portion of wind protection you use anyway.

The true test is this: If it starts to rain and you are riding at cruising speed, how long will you stay relatively dry?
BMW RT riders are good for a long time in the rain. Best fairing by far.

BMW RT riders are good for a long time in the rain. Best fairing by far.
Benefit of wind tunnel testing with a rider on board. RT was designed for 2-up, RS for 1-up ;)
... you need to maintain closer to 140kph the bikes were built for autobahn (K series)

Have been riding naked bikes for the past 7 years, and as others have stated, long stretches on the 401 can be tiring on days with headwinds when above 140.

Note that slimmer fitting gear makes a significant difference in riding comfort.

Some naked bike owners go crazy getting screens of every size to get their cocoon of comfort and in my opinion should have stayed with a faired bike.

My current bike (BMW R1200R) came with a “sport shield” and I use it for touring but will avoid 401 and interstate when nicer backroad options are available and did this too when I rode a failed bike.
Once it warms up, I remove the screen and it is quite remarkable how quiet the bike is up to 140.

I have done 800 Km rides to Calabogie and back on my F800r and then walked a twilight round of golf carrying my clubs.

With 80% highway planned, you may want to look at a “sports adventure” bike like Tiger 800, Tracer 900, Ducati Multistrada or BMW F900XR

View attachment 43472

How do you like the roadsmarts?

The Roadsmarts are much better than the OEM Road Pilot 4s were.

Enjoyed 2 sets on my previous bike F800r and found them to be a decent tire and they are usually on special. ($60 prepaid Visa Bonus)

However, did notice on my last ride now with 8 k on them and with the bike in Dynamic mode (allows some rear slipping) they are stepping out a bit more under harder acceleration than they did 2000 kms ago. This may a result of oils released from the chip /seal roads in the afternoon sun.

How do you like the roadsmarts?

Back
Top Bottom