HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone

This is true. I used to commute from downtown and take Don Mills from the DVP. I was going 60km/h in the HOV lane on the far right and a cab shot out in front of me from a stand still and I missed rear ending him by inches. When he heard me honk and saw how close I came to hitting him in his rear view he had the nerve to stop his car, roll down the window and yell back at me... screaming I was speeding like a mad man. I almost completely lost it. Yes, I was going 60km/hr faster than you, but don't be a knob and pull out in front of me from a stop and then accuse me of speeding. I remembered his customer in the back seat had a horrified look on her face.
These guys are an absolute menace. 'Professional drivers', don't make me laugh.

These guys are an absolute menace. 'Professional drivers', don't make me laugh.

You're all menaces in your own separate ways - it's not exclusive to cabbies.

I don't see the benefit in making an HOV lane a fast lane. The point of the HOV lane is to allow vehicles to maintain a faster speed than the regular lanes when there is congestion causing them to fall below the speed limit. IMO that lane should have the strictest speed limit since you will get where you need to go faster when there is bad traffic, and if not, you don't need it anyways. The point of the lane isn't to be able to go over 100 if the far left lane is being held up by someone going 100.
You sound like my wife arguing this point.

I think we would all be served better AND traffic would move better if we followed the existing rules of "slower vehicles keep right". The HOV lane should always be the fastest lane on the highway. When a highway is not congested, that would mean the 7 passenger minivan use a free moving lane that's travelling at his preferred speed. If the regular lanes are congested and moving slower than the HOV lane, he gets the privileged of going faster in an HOV lane.

My question for you is... does the HOV lane excuse users from laws requiring slower vehicles to move right when another vehicle is ready to overtake them?

You sound like my wife arguing this point.

I think we would all be served better AND traffic would move better if we followed the existing rules of "slower vehicles keep right". The HOV lane should always be the fastest lane on the highway. When a highway is not congested, that would mean the 7 passenger minivan use a free moving lane that's travelling at his preferred speed. If the regular lanes are congested and moving slower than the HOV lane, he gets the privileged of going faster in an HOV lane.

My question for you is... does the HOV lane excuse users from laws requiring slower vehicles to move right when another vehicle is ready to overtake them?

Your wife sounds like a very rational person with an exceptionally wise perspective. ;)

To answer your question, if we're talking 400 series highways I don't think the person in the HOV lane should have to move over since 99% of the time it wouldn't be legal to do so with the solid double line. But again, if the far left lane to the right of the HOV lane is going at a good pace, there wouldn't be a need to use the HOV lane, and if it was going below the limit, you've got the HOV lane to get you where you need to go faster than you would otherwise – even if you're stuck behind someone going slower than you'd like.

I hear what you're saying but don't agree that "the HOV lane should always be the fastest lane on the highway". The primary criteria for using the HOV lane is based on vehicle occupancy, and to benefit those that meet that criteria. People that meet that criteria are coming from all the different lanes of the highways (some are regular far right drivers, others are faster left lane drivers). If we all just accepted that understanding of an HOV lane and the different types of drivers that use them (along with the reality that you may only be able to go 100km/h because you're held up by a slower driver), I think they would work exactly as intended.

Are we talking about the same lane? HOV is the lane school and public transit busses would travel in, yes?

You're all menaces in your own separate ways - it's not exclusive to cabbies.
who is 'you'?

Where did i indicate it's exclusive?

The person in the HOV lane, cannot move over, except at the designated entry and exit points to the lane.
So, slower traffic keep right, cannot apply in a practical manner.
I'd like people in the HOV lanes to move a little faster, but not all of them do.
The ones who move at the same speed as the traffic beside them, I don't understand at all.

who is 'you'?

Where did i indicate it's exclusive?
Everyone but me. You're all menaces, who should stay far away from where I'm driving at the moment.

You mentioned 'Professional Drivers', I believe in reference to cabbies. That's pretty exclusive.

oops wrong thread :censored:

Last edited:
The person in the HOV lane, cannot move over, except at the designated entry and exit points to the lane.
So, slower traffic keep right, cannot apply in a practical manner.
I'd like people in the HOV lanes to move a little faster, but not all of them do.
The ones who move at the same speed as the traffic beside them, I don't understand at all.
It's the traffic beside them which is the problem, not the people in the HOV. It is a lane for vehicles with more then one person, a bus or maybe a green vehicle, full stop. They are not beholden to maintain any speed nor should they (no passing lane), that is not how the the highways are designed. The people to the right of them are, but it's misused and breaks the entire system down.

It's the traffic beside them which is the problem, not the people in the HOV. It is a lane for vehicles with more then one person, a bus or maybe a green vehicle, full stop. They are not beholden to maintain any speed nor should they (no passing lane), that is not how the the highways are designed. The people to the right of them are, but it's misused and breaks the entire system down.
Technically, that's correct, but it subverts the entire purpose of diamond lanes. If you're not seeing the people in them flying by you, as you're stuck in the stop and go, then you won't be envious and want to emulate the people who are using them. e.g. car pool, buy an electric vehicle, take the bus etc. In that case, they may as well take the diamond lane and a little bit of shoulder, and add two lanes to the expressway.

It would make things more convenient but the sheer amount of people that cut into the HOV lane is terrifying, especially when the left lane is stopped and the HOV lane is moving at 80 km/h

There was a death last year caught on a dash cam... Mississuaga 403 IIRC.
Female rider on her HD hit by an SUV that illegally crossed into the HOV lane...

Technically, that's correct, but it subverts the entire purpose of diamond lanes. If you're not seeing the people in them flying by you, as you're stuck in the stop and go, then you won't be envious and want to emulate the people who are using them. e.g. car pool, buy an electric vehicle, take the bus etc. In that case, they may as well take the diamond lane and a little bit of shoulder, and add two lanes to the expressway.
Exactly my point, it's supposed to encourage people to meet the requirements to use the lane. Thus relieving congestion in every other lane.

What if every highway had 2 HOV lanes?

These threads always make me laugh, just beating a dead horse. The Transit/traffic problem in the GTA will never be fixed, allowing motorcycles to filter/use HOV will not fix anything neither will increasing the limit to 120. The infrastructure is terrible, our highway designs suck, and we have built more than our roads can handle. Highways can't be expanded or built, and too many idiots on the road are accustomed to driving 10 under in the fast lane or cutting into HOV lanes from a dead stop. As terrible as it is now its just going to get worse and I don't see any real solutions to fix it

They will end up exploiting more green belt and build or fill out parts of lake ontario,
ya know, eastern avenue at one time was waterfront.

These threads always make me laugh, just beating a dead horse. The Transit/traffic problem in the GTA will never be fixed, allowing motorcycles to filter/use HOV will not fix anything neither will increasing the limit to 120. The infrastructure is terrible, our highway designs suck, and we have built more than our roads can handle. Highways can't be expanded or built, and too many idiots on the road are accustomed to driving 10 under in the fast lane or cutting into HOV lanes from a dead stop. As terrible as it is now its just going to get worse and I don't see any real solutions to fix it

It would help a little if employers would allow more employees to "telecommute"/work from home.
At my workplace there are a significant number of support staff who could easily do their jobs at home, but... There's this old fashioned notion that you must be at the office to be working.
Hell... there isnt even enough parking at my workplace for everyone.

It would help a little if employers would allow more employees to "telecommute"/work from home.
At my workplace there are a significant number of support staff who could easily do their jobs at home, but... There's this old fashioned notion that you must be at the office to be working.
That was one of the factors that influenced my last job change. We had one employee that had a three hour commute and the office was only open four hours on Friday. He still had to come in every Friday. Boo-urns. He could easily have generated four+ billable hours at home and saved hours. That office was a commercial condo where parking spaces were constructed at one per 1250 sq ft. Obviously it is a parking disaster as that is entirely insufficient for most businesses.

Yes, there is a thing called agile office that is starting to slowly show up here. When I went to work in London England in 2012, they had this already in place, and it meant that we worked 2-3 days in office and 2-3 days offsite at home or wherever we wanted. It worked great.

fwiw I found that if you live more downtown and commute outward for work, rush hour wasn't near as big of an issue, much of the time you are traveling the opposite direction of major traffic.

Back
Top Bottom