Honda RC213V (S) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda RC213V (S)

the side pipe of this bike. man, why can't all bikes with side pipes this compact? the new r1's side pipe is huge!

laws requiring street legal motorcycles to have catalytic converters and maximum noise output. Seeing a bike that is a concept or custom modified bike with nice small pipes is great, but you cant buy that from the manufacturer as a street legal machine...So you get it with a big fat ugly pipe, and you toss it in the garbage after and put on whatever illegal exhaust you like

It's another internet rumour (wish I could remember where), but the response of one of the CB1100 engineers to a question about the simplicity of the air-oil cooled motor was: "not so simple". Apparently there was a fair amount of challenge to properly cast the block and it's coolant passages.

Still my dream bike (in red), with optional sidecar attachment, removable fairing and matching luggage. One day, one day. Like so: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1052

cb1100 is the prettiest bike currently in production imho...

i think it costs so much because honda made no compromises in the design and manufacture.
some good stuff here...

http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cb1100/

cb1100 is the prettiest bike currently in production imho...

i think it costs so much because honda made no compromises in the design and manufacture.
some good stuff here...

http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cb1100/

Do you think they'd price it to the lowest they can live with? They've done their market research and set it at a price they hope the market will bear, not because no compromises in design and manufacture. I can confidently say that with out knowing anything.They're counting on a premium for retro.

For sure. The new Yamahas are coming in at $7K and $9K for what are better bikes, and include more for your $ (except the Honda's ABS)......but there is no way the Honda is legitimately worth almost double the price of an FZ07......They ARE indeed banking on hipsters buying retro just to ride retro.

The bikes are intended for completely different audiences ... discussing price is irrelevant.

How did we again end up discussing CB1000, FZ07 or 09 in RC213V thread??? LOL

Because Honda is a bike-tease, oh yeah baby!

Attachments

• CB1100.JPG
    CB1100.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 45
The bikes are intended for completely different audiences ... discussing price is irrelevant.

Hold on a second. We were talking about cost of design and manufacture. Can you get way more bike for way less money where the OEM still turns a profit? Something like that.

It's another internet rumour (wish I could remember where), but the response of one of the CB1100 engineers to a question about the simplicity of the air-oil cooled motor was: "not so simple". Apparently there was a fair amount of challenge to properly cast the block and it's coolant passages.

Suzuki did this 30 years ago with the first gixxers, from 750 to 1100cc.

Suzuki did this 30 years ago with the first gixxers, from 750 to 1100cc.

And with the various Katana 600, 750 and Bandit 600, 650, 1200 models. I think the main point was older technology is simpler relative to newer technology--for engineers. Building a new air/oil 4-cylinder motor in limited amounts to meet modern expectations (emissions especially) was probably no mean feat either.

The gixers were a marvel of casting, those super-thin and dense fins.
Emissions are easy to meet with just EFI and a catalytic. Suzuki is bringing back the Bandit 1250 to Europe, but they switched to water cooling, likely because it's cheaper.

I think you could make a retro cool cafe bike with water cooling, just look at the bazillions of CX500s getting hacked up.

Bandits have been water cooled since 2007.
The water cooling isn't cheaper. It's neccessary to get the consumer's desired performance output while still passing noise and emissions requirements. All motorcycles will soon go this route. Even purists HArley Davidson and BMW's boxers have had to liquid cool to give their target market what they want while still passing ever increasingly stringent emissions tests.

I was at a Honda demo ride last weekend. They messed up their demo truck with a truck full of these. We all had to ride around on these 213thingies. Handles about the same as a 2006 Harley Road King and a bit faster than an SV650. Not bad for $200 000.00.

I was at a Honda demo ride last weekend. They messed up their demo truck with a truck full of these. We all had to ride around on these 213thingies. Handles about the same as a 2006 Harley Road King and a bit faster than an SV650. Not bad for $200 000.00.

175624.jpg

i-dont-believe-you-gif.gif

Back
Top Bottom