Honda RC213V (S) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda RC213V (S)

I think this is far prettier, aesthetically.
honda+CB+1100R+3.jpg

I love that bike too, but its apples and oranges comparing it to the RC213.

Hyper-Supersport vs. Sport-Touring....+ that particular bike is custom....

the side pipe of this bike. man, why can't all bikes with side pipes this compact? the new r1's side pipe is huge!

I think this is far prettier, aesthetically.
honda+CB+1100R+3.jpg

...and Honda would have partially upstaged all the "cleanest jeans" superbike introductions. Consider Honda's recent trend of variants based on one engine: NC700/750 in the S, X and D versions plus the CTX700, 700N and the Vultus. Then there's the CRF250L, CBR250, CBR300/F. Don't forget the CB500R, F and X versions and the CBR650/CB650F. That's 18 streetbikes based on four different motors. The cruiser/tourer segment pushes those numbers higher.

So the CB1100 gets all that marketing, positive response, decent sales globally and Honda responds with...spoked rims, sixth gear and a slightly bigger tank. Honda is a funny organization alright, almost like ASIMO is one of the executives and makes odd decisions as his battery loses charge.

So the CB1100 gets all that marketing, positive response, decent sales globally and Honda responds with...spoked rims, sixth gear and a slightly bigger tank. Honda is a funny organization alright, almost like ASIMO is one of the executives and makes odd decisions as his battery loses charge.

looks like they may be dropping the cb1100 in canada for 2015...its not on their website

It hasn't sold well. Not sure why but maybe retro is overdone?

The bike it copied was a class buster and great value back in the day. CB1100 asked for premium$ for retro.

If I remember right, those had 18" wheels. Perhaps people buying a new bike want something that they can get good tires for??

I don't think retro is overdone, it's just that people into air-cooled cafe bikes will want the real thing, not a modern bike that is pretty expensive for what it is. For the older riders who do want to buy retro, the CB1100 is weak sauce compared to the R9T (which is selling out).
I think if Honda had to dip into its history for a modern retro bike with big appeal, it would not be a CB1100, but a CB750. Also, this niche does not care about HP, 40-50hp is fine. They care about light and simple, and that CB1100 was a damn heavy bike.

I think if Honda had to dip into its history for a modern retro bike with big appeal, it would not be a CB1100, but a CB750.

I took the CB1100 as an amalgam of all UJMs, the first being the class leading 1969 CB750. But you're right, a true retro of the CB750 could be a winner.

I guess that makes sense to say that it's a heavy bike... complex not so much. But then again, i helped a friend move his old CB750 by truckbed last year and there was nothing light about the original!

I suspect the convention centre is quite bit of coin....that's what you were on about if course...real estate speculation perhaps???? ;)

I think it was priced a little too high ($12k IIRC). If lower, I'm sure a lot of people would have liked to pick one up and mod them.

+1 I think so too..

Honda offered a reworked Cb750 Nighthawk from 1992-2003 and received the same response. Too heavy, too slow, to expensive. It's still sold in Japan (nice!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_CB750_Special_2007TMS.jpg. We all know how the song would go if they brought it back. Same deal for the Shadow 750RS. I think we're getting exactly what we ask for: Performance (ss) or styling (cruisers) at the expense of everything else.

IIRC 13K + fees/taxes was considered a deal for the cb1100, though that was a leftover this year. I think 14-15k was the norm when it hit Canadian shores, about 10k in the USA.

The CB1100 is an awesome bike...Gorgeous, perfect in every way, but it's a $9-10K bike, that's MSRP is at $13+K.
That's why it hasn't sold well. Too bad really because it's awesome.

The other strange thing about the CB1100 was a speed limiter and pretty complex electronics.

It's another internet rumour (wish I could remember where), but the response of one of the CB1100 engineers to a question about the simplicity of the air-oil cooled motor was: "not so simple". Apparently there was a fair amount of challenge to properly cast the block and it's coolant passages.

Still my dream bike (in red), with optional sidecar attachment, removable fairing and matching luggage. One day, one day. Like so: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1052

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom