Honda CBR 1000 RR SP | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBR 1000 RR SP

Your argument is that you could use electronic rider aids instead of suspension and brakes? Well I guess if that's where you are at then that's all good and well. Me and most everyone I deal with are at the point that they need suspension and brakes to be faster.

d.

On the street?

On the street?

Having well sorted suspension and brakes makes a very big difference on the road as well, not as big as the track but still very very nice to have.
We install more ohlins suspensions on street bikes than race bikes by a ratio of 4:1!
But in all honesty with all the citing of tracks, lap times and racers I was under the impression we were talking about track performance... Which is what this bike is all about.

Last edited:
Your argument is that you could use electronic rider aids instead of suspension and brakes? Well I guess if that's where you are at then that's all good and well. Me and most everyone I deal with are at the point that they need suspension and brakes to be faster.

I have a TTX shock on both my track bikes, FWIW and am not talking it down... also have BrakeTech iron rotors on them...

I've been riding for 20 years and its always been super sports.

38 for me. It's a painful admission. The first 8 years were dirt. I'm (barely) old enough to have owned a H2 750 when it wasn't yet a relic.

I would rather have a great braking system that lets me modulate my brakes and lets me control the bike.

Again, you do not seem to have enough experience with modern ABS, or you're one of those people that like to feel the bike push (some oldschool racers do). You have a lot of control with the modern systems. The only thing I could wish for is a way to decouple the rear brake from it like the KTM 1290 offers, as I like to use the rear brake to get a bit of off-center sliding sometimes. ABS takes some of the cool factor out of my Tim Horton's arrivals, too. :( hahaha

I've also never washed the front on the street.

Both times I did, I was hardly moving. Both times, the pavement condition was really sketchy. It happens.

If you feel that you need it then once again that's good and well, everyone I know that can adequately utilize a liter bike does not need it.

Hah! This was a direct insult. But you know, I think it's funny... if you ride long enough, you're going to feel like a fool when you pick yourself off the ground and remember that post. And I'm going to feel good knowing that someone else will be building my engines for me.

We have 2 1199s, 1 BMW and 2 Apes that we are working extensively on right now (read motor builds, etc). I also own an ape with a built motor, all carbon with big brake upgrade, etc (sure as hell didn't cost me $17k). I assure you I have better knowledge of the bikes in question that you give me credit for.

You have a 2013 Ape with ABS? Interesting. The other two bikes ... well let me just say that I don't think as highly of the BMW ABS. You say "we" have, which makes me wonder if "you" have extensive experience riding them. But it matters not, carry on... sounds like your opinion and mine differ. And will continue to differ. Such is life.

If you need more than Bazzaz then that's your issue, not everyone does.

Yeah, because nobody is being successful with these new systems in high-end road-racing, amirite?!

Incidentally, I happen to recall when a certain Mr. McCormick showed up on the stage in Canadian SBK and there was a lot of whining because he was on a bike with rider aids... and faster as a newcomer than the old pros right out of the gate.

Last edited:
are you really arguing with Fawaz? LOL

I can't say that I'm surprised. There's always people who hang on to the old technologies while the rest of the world moves ahead. There are people who will look you right in the face and tell you that they miss the days of pulse dial phones, Novell file servers and leaded gasoline.

The more refined these technologies get, the harder it's going to get to speak against them.

Last edited:
If you want a limited production street legal racebike that is 90% of a CSBK superbike for a pittance this is your wet dream.

Ahahahahahaha

are you really arguing with Fawaz? LOL

hmmm...who's opinion has more credibility ? guy who builds bikes and is apparently successful enough to earn a living from doing so.... or know-it-all fanboy who lives in his moms basement and spends his spare time memorizing aprilia ad copy ????
its a conundrum...

Last edited:
hmmm...who's opinion has more credibility ? guy who builds bikes and is apparently successful enough to earn a living from doing so.... or know-it-all fanboy who lives in his moms basement and spends his spare time memorizing aprilia ad copy ????
its a conundrum...

That's not nice!
I think we should take the animosity out of this thread and just appreciate awesome bikes. :)
It's just a difference if opinion.
He would rather have $17k of Aprillia and I would rather have $17k of Honda.

I think the BMW, Ape, and Ducati are all awesome.. It's just I can't get what's important for me out of $17k from them. He can and there is nothing wrong with that.

I already have a built Ape, I want to build a Pani for myself this winter, and one day want to put together a no holds barred BMW for myself.. It's just that all of those builds will be in the sub 30k range.

If you want a limited production street legal racebike that is 90% of a CSBK superbike for a pittance this is your wet dream.

I am going to add one to my collection no questions asked.

I'm still trying to figure out what in the world you would do with one of those. I drive gta highways every day and see multiple speed traps, every day. I guess if you dont mind running. Now slap some race glass on it and i'll take two please :D

On the street?
Exactly. If an ohlins TTX makes a difference to your riding on the street you're going way, way too fast. If you want to drag knee near armco mosport and calabogie have lots of it.

Last edited:
Well according to Honda Canada, this is their take on why it doesn't have TC...

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/cbr1000rr-sp
lol ********, why don't they have MM and DP ride without the electronics then if they are so purists.

Pile of crap, same reason why they don't have a slipper clutch, they are always behind and don't care to be in front because Honda fans will always buy their over priced less technological crap.

After riding an RSV4 I would go with that way before a Honda.

Honda drives me nuts

I spend an inordinate amount of time at racetracks so I have an affinity to race bikes.
I don't ever get time to ride while I'm there though.
I have lots and lots of bikes that I don't use ... I have a problem. Lol

I'm still trying to figure out what in the world you would do with one of those. I drive gta highways every day and see multiple speed traps, every day. I guess if you dont mind running. Now slap some race glass on it and i'll take two please :D

I spend an inordinate amount of time at racetracks so I have an affinity to race bikes.
I don't ever get time to ride while I'm there though.
I have lots and lots of bikes that I don't use ... I have a problem. Lol

LoL i know you well from soar, but was not there this year. I dont debate your affinity, it's just that in my opinion all of this is beyond redundant on a street bike. You really cant speed in this province anymore unless you're going to run from the cops, and the simple fact is that it's a race bike.

On the street electronic aids like TCS have huge merits, like when you have to slam on the brakes unexpectedly. I dont care if you're rossi odd's are if something suddenly appears in front of you at a dead stop while you're doing a responsible 120, you're probably going to grab a handful of brake lever.

The bike in question is a pure race bike, with headlights and turn signals. The only reason to have something like that on the street is to fuel your ego. For someone who's actually fast not being able to use what that bike has would be more frustrating than enjoyable. Just saying.

its a conundrum...
Well, Shaman and I have had our disagreements to say the least, but you are a little off here, guy owns one and he rides it on track, pretty damn fast I have seen myself, no need to get all pennisy and insult for no reason.

The bike in question is a pure race bike, with headlights and turn signals. The only reason to have something like that on the street is to fuel your ego. For someone who's actually fast not being able to use what that bike has would be more frustrating than enjoyable. Just saying.

If I wanted a great streetbike I would buy a sport touring with Michelin Pilot Road 4s.
Every sportbike made in the last 15 years is frustrating to ride on the road and will easily result in having your license suspended.

I love racebikes with headlights! RC30, RC45, OWO1, R7 etc. (I don't hold this in the same rarefied air as those)

But the main appeal for me would be that they actually built this thing!
I could throw a set of bodywork and some electronics and exhaust on it and it would be a capable superbike! All for $17k... With a warranty!!

I feel the mods on this bike would make it a better street bike in some ways than the regular 1000rr. From my experience if you ride with a properly set up ohlins set up on the street (thats setup for street riding) even the slightly above average rider can feel the benefits. Give it a try.. If you have and you didn't notice the difference PM me I'd love your feedback.

Last edited:
aVZgT.gif

From my experience if you ride with a properly set up ohlins set up on the street (thats setup for street riding) even the slightly above average rider can feel the benefits. Give it a try.. If you have and you didn't notice the difference PM me I'd love your feedback.

Owww the sarcasm, it burns. Fawaz i've only experienced a penske double but can attest to how much better it puts power down over a stock piece. That is with my knee on the ground, coming out of a corner as the tire is wanting to slide. I never noticed it making the bike nicer to cruise around on in pit lane, riding at half pace on a checkered flag etc.

If you live in the mountains or are taking trips down to the gap to do a hooligan run no doubt it makes the experience a billion times better. My argument would be that 99% of the riding that you should be doing would not be improved by a race specific shock. I learned a few summers ago that i cant ride street without it involving 200k runs down the dvp, so i dont ride street anymore.

hum I have a question.

I am pretty happy with my stock suspension on track and spirited riding, but it's too harsh on crappy roads. Sag and damping was set up pretty well by a shop.

If I soften it up, it is OKAY, but anything spirited and it becomes hazy.

Can aftermarket suspension solve this?

Owww the sarcasm, it burns. Fawaz i've only experienced a penske double but can attest to how much better it puts power down over a stock piece. That is with my knee on the ground, coming out of a corner as the tire is wanting to slide. I never noticed it making the bike nicer to cruise around on in pit lane, riding at half pace on a checkered flag etc.

If you live in the mountains or are taking trips down to the gap to do a hooligan run no doubt it makes the experience a billion times better. My argument would be that 99% of the riding that you should be doing would not be improved by a race specific shock. I learned a few summers ago that i cant ride street without it involving 200k runs down the dvp, so i dont ride street anymore.

Sorry buddy I didn't mean to be sarcastic at all. I'm not sure how I came across that way, but I do apologize if you took it as so. I'm trying to be friendly and actually interested in your input. I don't know you by your username but if you know me from SOAR I'm sure you know I'm very approachable and friendly. You can pm or call me as well if you want since apparently a public forum isn't the best medium for conducting an intelligent discussion. Heck If I know you from SOAR it would be great to catch up. :)

What we look for in bikes is probably different. I don't ride street very much at all, I don't commute and I don't carry a pillion. When I do ride I want something that can occasionally be put through its paces. If I can get everything I want for a nominal premium I don't see a reason not to buy it.
Having suspension, brakes, etc does not mean that you need to drag your knees everywhere.. but its nice to have it for the occasional spirited run.

Buying this bike is no different from anyone buying a 675r, any Ducati s/sp model, etc. etc. In car terms its also the same thing as someone buying an M3 over a 3 series, GTI over a Golf, Mustang GT over a V6, ZL1 over a v6, RS4 over an A4 etc etc etc. This isn't something new or novel, its an enthusiast version of the standard version, it caters to the needs of some not the vast majority.

The icing on the cake with this bike for me is that I was actually thinking about building a superbike for next year.. After some math I realized that this bike would honestly cost almost the same as trying to build the same spec bike from a salvaged 2011 CBR1000RR.

If the bike doesn't make sense for someone they shouldn't buy it .. I like it and it makes sense for me that's why I'm going to buy one.

With that I'm going to punch out of this thread as I think I've said everything I can.

-FIN-
;)]

I have ridden a multitude of sportbikes both on the street and track (albeit for only 10years or so), but after reading up on it; this Honda doesn't tickle me in the slightest as a street bike for the dollar value.

I was ohsoclose to picking up a 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC this past summer but missed the boat (as a buddy ended up swooping in on it) and am stuck with my current 08 848 which has a gutless vtwin, stock suspension setup by Racer5 :D, zero electronic assistance and no slipper clutch, yet still performs quite well as a street bike on Q2s, that is pushed fairly hard on a regular basis.... next year it will likely see track time as well so we shall see how that goes.

FriendlyFoe stop being a little biatch and get back out on the street lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom