Home surveillance/security setup | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home surveillance/security setup

sash

Thinking about getting a home surveillance system that will have about 4 outdoor cameras and say 2 indoor cameras. Want to be able to receive event log on my android smartphone and ideally access live video feed using the smartphone. Is there anything like that?
Do not want to pay for the alarm service, but rather get one of those in the box (install and enjoy).
Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thinking about getting a home surveillance system that will have about 4 outdoor cameras and say 2 indoor cameras. Want to be able to receive event log on my android smartphone and ideally access live video feed using the smartphone. Is there anything like that?
Do not want to pay for the alarm service, but rather get one of those in the box (install and enjoy).
Any recommendations?
Tons and tons of systems out there that can do that. If you want High Def and order from china you'll pay a quarter of what you will from anyone here.

Is it possible for you to draw a sketch of your property and where you want the cameras located, and the direction you want them to look? Take a screen capture from google satellite map (check bing too, sometimes their photos are clearer) and marker it up in Paint ;)

If you want absolutely top of the line stuff (WDR, adjustable zoom lens, super wide angle 90 degree wide view to super tight get a license plate zoom), 1080p or better image quality, etc.) you're looking around $150 per camera. An 8 channel 1080p (8 x 1080p x 30FPS per camera) NVR is $75 (all prices are plus shipping, cheap if you're not in a hurry, a bit of money by DHL to have it in a day or two). Be careful when you see NVR's advertised as "8 channel 1080p", what they usually mean is 1 x 1080p camera, and the rest at 480p!!! This $75 NVR can text your cell phone when there is motion, you can connect in with your phone and view any/all of the cameras live, or view past recorded events, etc. The NVR comes without a hard drive so I would recommend a least one (preferrably two) 3TB Red Edition WD hard drives.

The cameras I've mentioned are PoE (power over ethernet). You can get a cheap TP-link PoE switch for $50 that'll run three cameras, so to run your full six just get two of them.

Use Cat6 ethernet cable to run from the switches to the cameras. Get the cable from here (outdoor cable for the outdoor cameras, indoor if you want for the indoors): http://www.justonecable.ca (if the cost for cables starts to get too crazy you can get a 1000ft roll for $200 and buy the crimper and connectors to put the ends on yourself. This way you only have to drill a 1/4" hold through your wall(s) vs. 1/2" with a connector on it). You don't need shielded unless you are running it parallel to 110v AC lines (i.e. zip tied to the 110v power cable).

So that's pretty much it:

6 x cameras
1 x NVR
2 x PoE switches
6 x Cat6 cables for cameras
? x Cat5 cables to connect switches together, switches to your router, router to NVR, etc.

Think of the PoE switches as "splitters". So for example, say if you've got a driveway camera, front door camera and indoor garage camera, you could put the PoE switch say in the garage (need to plug into power there), then run the three cameras to the PoE switch in the garage and only a SINGLE cheap (cat5) network cable back to your router!!! Really cuts down on the wiring mess and having to drill holes and run cable everywhere ;)

I personally NEVER buy or use cameras that don't have WDR (wide dynamic range). Some people think it's not required. Here's an example with and without WDR:

wdr_demo_picture.png

It helps in EVERY situation, not just ones with super difficult lighting situations. Take my basement live pool cam for example (this is one of those $150 cameras I told you about, in 720p mode so I can stream it on my website in full quality):

camera_test01.png

There is NO lighting down by the plazma TV, in real life it looks WAY darker than in this security image. WDR darkens areas that are too bright (think car headlights, the sun, backlit window, the reflection off the glossy wood edge of my pool table, etc.) and brightens areas that are too dim (shadows, etc.). Really amazing stuff.

Just so you know all the options:

1080p WDR adjustable zoom: $150
1080p adjustable zoom: $130
720p adjustable zoom: $80
720p fixed zoom: $65

If any of this sounds like the way you want to go just let me know and I'll PM you the links where you need to order the cameras and NVR :)

Any questions just let me know.

Last edited:
Any recommendations?
And just to completely answer your question, if you didn't even want HD at all and would be happy with VCR quality, Costco, Home Depot, etc. sell camera kits that'll do everything you asked in your post: http://bit.ly/Costco6cctv

$400, includes 6 cameras, cables, power supplies, DVR. Works with iphone and android.

Last edited:
There are two options: the cheap option (no frills) and the expensive option.

You get a DIY DVR kit that has a couple of analog cameras and a 8 channel DVR. I used a company called Qsee but most of the DIY are pretty much the same. Quality isn't the greatest and you can access it over the interwebs and it'll record what happens. Reviewing it will be a *****... These cost around $250-$400 for the entire kit.

Other options are IP cameras with sophisticated DVR systems. These are high in quality. You can also get a 360 camera. They have ease of access and reviewing is pretty easy too. These with cameras are usually $2k+

For the event logger, what do you mean? Can you be more specific? Do you want to log everytime someone enters the door? Those can be easily obtained from any security store/company. I see them in the brick matress stores all the time next to the door. They monitor how many times someone goes through the door.

If you need help setting it up, let me know.

Dogs... Nothing else. I wouldn't have an alarm as I don't want it going off and have the responding cops have to make their way past the dogs when checking out the alarm.... or ruin their fun in case of an actual intruder.

For the event logger, what do you mean? Can you be more specific? Do you want to log everytime someone enters the door? Those can be easily obtained from any security store/company. I see them in the brick matress stores all the time next to the door. They monitor how many times someone goes through the door.
It sounds like he just wants to look at the motion detection log, so if he sees a lot of motion events close together, he can review the video from that time. All DVR/NVR systems have this.

Link is correct in that the $400 "security in a box" solutions are VERY difficult to review recorded video events, ESPECIALLY from a mobile phone.

Dogs... Nothing else. I wouldn't have an alarm as I don't want it going off and have the responding cops have to make their way past the dogs when checking out the alarm.... or ruin their fun in case of an actual intruder.
Sash is asking about an "alarmless" system. All it does is text you a picture of what's caused motion, if it detects motion when you have it armed, that's it. Police respond much better to "I'm looking at three people trying to break into my house right now" vs. an automated alarm calling them. Dogs are a great solution of course.

Last edited:
?? Are you implying that I would make ANY money from the post I made??

The joke is that the OP wants to know about our security so he can rip off our bikes.

I have done a few setups for small businesses, bought POE cameras from FOSCAM, and software called blue IRIS, couple with cheap $49 P4 PC, and a UPS. I've got software that can email at night when there is motion, and record what is happening during the day. Software can control PTZ cameras as well as two way audio with a camera.

Those all in one systems look interesting, but this formula seems to work well.

If you want something very economical try Factory Direct. Under $200 but not the greatest quality.

Amazing information guys! Just what I was thinking! I never researched these things before. It’s just a project for me to spend money on and it’s also kinda cool to be able to see what’s up at home when I’m at work.
Installing this will be walk in the park. In my previous life I worked as electrician and I’m CCNA certified so Ethernet and IP networking is no issue at all. WDR is like HDR in photography. Cool!
One thing outstanding is alarming in case proximity sensor get’s tripped (get a text, or pop-up message from the app on the smart phone). I guess this would be well addressed in those boxed solutions sold in Costco.

Just gathering information at this time... :)

The joke is that the OP wants to know about our security so he can rip off our bikes.

Amazing information guys! Just what I was thinking! I never researched these things before. It’s just a project for me to spend money on and it’s also kinda cool to be able to see what’s up at home when I’m at work.
Installing this will be walk in the park. In my previous life I worked as electrician and I’m CCNA certified so Ethernet and IP networking is no issue at all. WDR is like HDR in photography. Cool!
One thing outstanding is alarming in case proximity sensor get’s tripped (get a text, or pop-up message from the app on the smart phone). I guess this would be well addressed in those boxed solutions sold in Costco.

Just gathering information at this time... :)

well that just sounds odd considering the post just above yours

I know with the high def IP systems you can set up motion sensor "hotspots" on the actual video feed. So you exclude the tree in the front yard, and the street for vehicles driving by, but you hotspot your driveway and front door. Anything moves an inch in that box (it's not really square) then it'll text ya a picture of whatever caused the motion.

There's a similar setup in the costco box, but it limits you only to exclusion zones, not hotspot zones, and it won't text you a pic, but can e-mail your phone and at least tell you which camera detected the motion.

To set up an actual motion/proximity sensor the costco box would need relay/sensor inputs on the DVR box (doesn't say at has any sensor or relay inputs in the specs). The $75 NVR box I mentioned above has 4 relay inputs for physical sensors (window break sensors, window open sensors, motion sensors, door sensors, etc.).

If you are serious about it and can do the wiring/hookup yourself, check out ADI.

They are the local distributor for all things relating to security. Tell them what you want and how much you're looking to spend and they'll tell you whats possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

it must be hard going through life watching football, thinking the team in the huddle is talking about you.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom