Hitch Carrier or a Small Trailer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hitch Carrier or a Small Trailer

Trackday

Been using a small trailer - but have storage problems. Living in the big bad city I don't have the luxury that most have with a driveway that can hold ten or more cars. Nor do I have a garage that can hold three or more cars. I drive a cross over with a Class 3, 2" hitch rated for 600 lbs tongue weight, and 4000 lbs towing. The car manual states the car can tow 4000 lbs. I tow today the bike and trailer - total weight maybe 600 lbs. The bike weighs 240 lbs with fuel. I am within spec for a hitch mount.

Should I stay with the trailer - it's very small and can only hold a single bike? But have storage is a problem. Takes all the space in my small garage, so nothing else can fit. I cannot leave it in the driveway.
Should I get a hitch mount carrier - Prince Auto has them for $99 and used on Kijji for $50
What should I be aware of with the hitch mount carrier?

Thanks in advance.

Search the old threads, there are at least a couple with this exact topic. The hitch is designed for 600 lbs straight down on the ball with almost no torque in any axis. You are putting weight it at least a foot further out and applying torque in all three axes. It is well outside of anything the hitch was designed for. That being said your bike is pretty light and I haven't heard of one of these racks actually failing so you will likely be ok.

Have you thought of a folding trailer? As an example, Harbor Freight makes a few and they fold up to a pretty small footprint. Find something similar locally or wait until cross border travel is OK. Maybe with sale of your current trailer you'd net out to zero out-of-pocket cost. If you're keeping this indoors most of the time the plain painted frame is not really a issue re corrosion.

1591363731170.png

A stinger may be a good purchase for this situation. Even smaller than the above folding trailer once it's folded up.

Have you thought of a folding trailer? As an example, Harbor Freight makes a few and they fold up to a pretty small footprint. Find something similar locally or wait until cross border travel is OK. Maybe with sale of your current trailer you'd net out to zero out-of-pocket cost. If you're keeping this indoors most of the time the plain painted frame is not really a issue re corrosion.

View attachment 43437
Mine is probably 12 years old. For about eight of those years it has been outside. It's not the prettiest, but there is no corrosion of concern yet, just surface rust in some locations. Actually surprisingly decent for a dirt cheap trailer. I am slightly excited for its' eventual demise so I can buy an adult trailer that is a little nicer and lighter. Folding/unfolding is not without effort.

A stinger may be a good purchase for this situation. Even smaller than the above folding trailer once it's folded up.

The Stringer is a great trailer, huge difference in cost though compared to the HF one or something similar. If cost is not an issue or concern, then spring for the Stinger.

The Stringer is a great trailer, huge difference in cost though compared to the HF one or something similar. If cost is not an issue or concern, then spring for the Stinger.
I suspect that "cost" is relative on a Stinger. You have more money tied up in it no doubt, but it probably "costs" you less per year as you can sell it when you are done for almost the same price. What is a used HF trailer worth? I suspect the value drops close to zero. The main costs with the stinger will be lost opportunity costs as the money tied up is not available to invest (which is not an insignificant cost).

Last edited:
For size wise the princess auto one is pretty good. You get what you pay for.

102880877_10163435706530328_5803420992164331520_n.jpg

My buddy has a cheap dirt bike trailer that might be of interest to you.

He’s asking $500.

Folds up.

47c677e07a36728af87a91cca449f421.jpg

53d7ab99f3f8a1a53f04edab242bf078.jpg

ac8a5a44d948915178b0110c24c1d60a.jpg

Mine is probably 12 years old. For about eight of those years it has been outside. It's not the prettiest, but there is no corrosion of concern yet, just surface rust in some locations. Actually surprisingly decent for a dirt cheap trailer. I am slightly excited for its' eventual demise so I can buy an adult trailer that is a little nicer and lighter. Folding/unfolding is not without effort.
About $500CAD after exchange...which is cheaper than the CAD equivalent here...but with no border travel there aren't many options. $700 this side of the border as a minimum for brand new. OR $825 with free shipping...so I guess the shipping isn't all that free...

I considered it as well, but with rentals of trailers being like $30/day from HD/UHAUL...not sure if I'd ever use it.

A little late to the reply party, but I myself use a "Trailer-in-a-bag"... doesn't really fit in a bag, but it breaks down completely for storage almost anywhere.

Not the cheapest option, but there is no way that I would otherwise be able to store all 3 of these in a single car garage.
(a motorcycle dolly helps as well)
1593094289254.png

Since this thread got bumped back up - could use advice on towing a motorcycle / trailer.

My car (08 Honda fit) has a 1500lb hitch (150lb tongue). Honda rates the car's towing capacity at 1000lbs. My issue is that the U-haul motorcycle trailer has a dry weight of 800lbs, my bike's wet weighs is 370lbs so that puts me ~170lbs over the car's towing capacity, but not close to the hitch's max.

U haul also has a 4 x 7' standard trailer that weights 600lbs. This would put me under the car's max capacity however it adds a few challenges:
1) how to get the bike into the trailer - would rather not drop $100+ for a trailer ramp i'm barely going to use. I do have some DIY wood ramps I use for wrenching but that will only get me about 6" of raise
2) how to strap it properly as the mounting points look to be much higher up.

OR do i just say screw it, get the Uhaul motorcycle trailer - its only an extra 170lbs over the car's max and I won't be taking it through much elevation.

Last edited:
Since this thread got bumped back up - could use advice on towing a motorcycle / trailer.

My car (08 Honda fit) has a 1500lb hitch (150lb tongue). Honda rates the car's towing capacity at 1000lbs. My issue is that the U-haul motorcycle trailer has a dry weight of 800lbs, my bike's wet weight is 370lbs so that puts me ~170lbs over the car's towing capacity, but not close the hitch's max.

U haul also has a 4 x 7' standard trailer that weights 600lbs. This would put me under the car's max capacity however it adds a few challenges:
1) how to get the bike into the trailer - would rather not drop $100+ for a trailer ramp i'm barely going to use. I do have some DIY wood ramps I use for wrenching but that will only get me about 6" of raise
2) how to strap it properly as the mounting points look to be much higher up.

OR do i just say screw it, get the Uhaul motorcycle trailer - its only an extra 170lbs over the car's max and I won't be taking it through much elevation.
What transmission? Is the car rated for more towing capacity in Europe? Does uhaul bike trailer have surge brakes? How far/fast are you towing?

Uhaul may not let you pick up the trailer with a fit. They get grumpy if the trailer at max load exceeds the capacity of the tow vehicle (even if you arent planning on loading to the max).

its a 5 speed Auto with flappy paddles (not one of the annoying AT's that overrides you and upshifts). Tow rating looks to be the same in NA as EU. No brakes on the small Uhauls as far as I can tell.

Would be towing from North York to Cayuga + Shannonville (120 - 200km ea way) so a bit of highway though I could do backroads if necessary. The only spot that worries me is the uphill section of the 403 thru Hamilton. I've definitely had more than 1000lbs of cargo on the roof + in the hatch but never on a trailer.

@r3r3r3 hoe many times a season you plan on doing this ?

For size wise the princess auto one is pretty good. You get what you pay for.

View attachment 43438

My buddy has a cheap dirt bike trailer that might be of interest to you.
Am I seeing this correctly -- is the rear tie down strapped to the brake line?

Am I seeing this correctly -- is the rear tie down strapped to the brake line?
Brakes prevent movement right?

My guess is the strap goes over the swingarm, through the wheel and attaches on the other side. The loop over the brake line is hopefully just the loose end.

The towing capacity includes all cargo and passengers. I still think you should be fine as I believe all these ratings are very much pussified.

Back
Top Bottom