Hit and run parked in private property | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and run parked in private property

nyx

So I had my bike parked yesterday in a shopping plaza (private property), and when I came back found a note. No name or number on the note.

There was a time frame, license plate #, car make, and to check camera cause it got rear ended.

Doesn’t sound like it was done by whoever left the note. More from passerby or someone works around there perhaps.
I didn’t see any cameras nearby, was parked half a block from Scotiabank entrance, but camera was on other side of the building.

Only physical damage I noticed was front fender is broken (chunk came off). My bike isn’t spring chicken, it’s 2012 almost 150k and few slides that I didn’t want fixing. There is a line the kickstand likely made by bike pushed back.

The fender is $200 if it’s still available somewhere (Yamaha website says oos and vehicle is discontinued)

I don’t want insurance involved because I don’t want to be put in “higher risk” group. Deductible is $500 anyway.

What would be the best thing to do?

I’m very curious to see if there was a footage, but didn’t see cameras tbh.

Look on eBay for used parts for the bike. Not much you can do anyway as you don’t have info on who hit it.

I’d be looking to at least make sure the driver gets some kind of warning not to be a sleaze ball. Damage under $500 might make it difficult though.

Reactions: nyx
A friend of mine had his bike knocked over by a work van and even getting the video had no impact or claim from the offending vehicle.

Van guy claimed he picked the bike up and had not knocked it over.

Ended up being a $3k claim on his insurance mostly from damaged luggage and scratched fairing.

I leave the broken fender in place -- "scars are just tattoos with better stories"

So I had my bike parked yesterday in a shopping plaza (private property), and when I came back found a note. No name or number on the note.

There was a time frame, license plate #, car make, and to check camera cause it got rear ended.

Doesn’t sound like it was done by whoever left the note. More from passerby or someone works around there perhaps.
I didn’t see any cameras nearby, was parked half a block from Scotiabank entrance, but camera was on other side of the building.

Only physical damage I noticed was front fender is broken (chunk came off). My bike isn’t spring chicken, it’s 2012 almost 150k and few slides that I didn’t want fixing. There is a line the kickstand likely made by bike pushed back.

The fender is $200 if it’s still available somewhere (Yamaha website says oos and vehicle is discontinued)

I don’t want insurance involved because I don’t want to be put in “higher risk” group. Deductible is $500 anyway.

What would be the best thing to do?

I’m very curious to see if there was a footage, but didn’t see cameras tbh.

The least you can do is report it to the cops, get a police report, and find out what the likelihood is that they're charge the driver, then decide your insurance options from there. A hit and run on private property should still be a hit and run, especially considering stunting under HTA 172 applies on private property.

I leave the broken fender in place -- "scars are just tattoos with better stories"
My bike then is full body cover then lol
The least you can do is report it to the cops, get a police report, and find out what the likelihood is that they're charge the driver, then decide your insurance options from there. A hit and run on private property should still be a hit and run, especially considering stunting under HTA 172 applies on private property.

Just saw this off police site. I don’t want my insurance to be involved and get any excuses to raise rates over $200 part.

8D1EA7A7-A748-46B3-AE99-408A01CD827D.png

A friend of mine had his bike knocked over by a work van and even getting the video had no impact or claim from the offending vehicle.

Van guy claimed he picked the bike up and had not knocked it over.

Ended up being a $3k claim on his insurance mostly from damaged luggage and scratched fairing.
Unfortunately a lot of those damaged are already on the bike, the givi bags and plastics are expensive.

Unless I'm mistaken, the collision reporting center doesn't contact your insurance company. They just take your statement, write a report, and provide you a copy. This is where you ask the officer to give you an idea of what they will do next to follow up with the other driver. You can then choose to file an insurance claim with that accident report, or not.

Unless I'm mistaken, the collision reporting center doesn't contact your insurance company. They just take your statement, write a report, and provide you a copy. This is where you ask the officer to give you an idea of what they will do next to follow up with the other driver. You can then choose to file an insurance claim with that accident report, or not.
I finally reached old colleague who worked in claims for auto insurance; collision centres can/should report to both parties insurance companies’. He said each case is different but for smaller claim he suggested not reporting because an accident will appear on record even if not at fault. Though from insurance side they want any accident reported.

Back
Top Bottom