Hi everyone! Shopping for my first bike! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi everyone! Shopping for my first bike!

Saharasun

Hi all!

A good friend of mine put me onto this community as a good source of information about riding. I just passed my M2 course at Learning Curves, but am otherwise a total newbie to the world of motorcycles and riding.

I've already found some amazing information here, so big thanks to all the experienced riders who took the time to share some of their knowledge! This seems like a really great community, and only makes me more excited to get riding!

On that note, I could use some advice for buying my first bike... I've read the threads about buying used bikes here, but 1. Dont really know much about bikes 2. Dont have friends who know much either.

I've been looking at Kawa 400's as a bike that could bridge me from beginner to intermediate riding without switching bikes. Was wondering what thoughts were about this bike.

I was also wondering about price... I saw a 2011 in (what I think is) very good condition with 24k on it for $3,600, but for only a few hundred less than some 2018s listed with about half the clicks... wondering whether the newer ones would be worth the extra $500 for similar condition, or whether they've likely been ridden super hard for 1 year... not too sure how people roll.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm pumped to get on a bike, but also dont want to start by making poor newbie decisions that might put me off.

Thanks in advance for the tips/advice! Also, if anyone is up for coming to check out bikes with me, that would be a huge help!

Welcome to the forum and to the world of motorcycle riding! Since you're a newbie, maybe start even smaller, like a 250. Should be able to find a decent model with low km for 2-2.5k or lower.

Make sure to call insurance companies before buying any bike. Accurate quotes come with a VIN, and after the insurance underwriter approves it. I think rates on a 400 may not be great given no prior riding experience or history. Not sure how old you are.

Happy hunting

400 is a good one, i'd spring for the newer model so you get all the safety tech.

You could also look at the CB500 or CBR500 if you want something with slightly more ooomph that you won't discard after half a season.

Insurance will really dictate your choices, come up with a list and start calling around to get quotes.

Obligatory agreement with Evoex's insurance recommendation. FInd out how much these bikes will cost you first!

Go to a few dealers and sit on a few bikes. And remember your first bike isn't forever...your eyes will start to wander after a year or two so don't sweat it too much.

The Kawi 400 in 2011 is a vastly different bike than today's Kawi 400 (2018 and on). The '11 400 Ninja 650 fitted with a little motor, only sold in Canada and New Zealand -- I wouldn't touch one myself as they are hard to service and parts are expensive, and they are not a desirable bike when it comes time to resell -- $2500 would be a far price for a'11 with 24K if it's in good shape.

As a beginner, you'd be better off with an R3, CB300R or a Ninja 300 -- all will be quicker and cheaper in the long run than Ninja 400 and you can get most of your money back in 2 years when it's time to upgrade.

If you are under 25 or live in Brampton or Markham, insurance might be an issue and you'll have to drop into a lower category dualsport or cruiser for a couple of years. You can find lots of these with low miles in the $2000-2500 range.

lots of good advice already

what you plan to do with the bike will affect what you should buy
but the caveat is
you may not know what that is, yet
until you've been riding for a few years

so don't get caught up trying to tick every box on your first bike
get something safe, reliable and affordable to insure your first go 'round

then later decide if you are an SOA dude
a street Rossi
an ADV geek
or preferably, just a general motorcyclist

a street Rossi
an ADV geek
How long do you get to decide? Maybe I need help - I've been trying to answer that question since 1978.

I think you have it figured out MM
multiple bikes
not an option for most

but to answer your question
no decision yet, for me
only working on it since 1982
start of 10th grade

you may not know what that is, yet
until you've been riding for a few years

so don't get caught up trying to tick every box on your first bike
get something safe, reliable and affordable to insure your first go 'round

a street Rossi
an ADV geek

This. Took me a while but I finally know what I want from a bike

Reactions: J_F
The Kawi 400 in 2011 is a vastly different bike than today's Kawi 400 (2018 and on). The '11 400 Ninja 650 fitted with a little motor, only sold in Canada and New Zealand -- I wouldn't touch one myself as they are hard to service and parts are expensive, and they are not a desirable bike when it comes time to resell -- $2500 would be a far price for a'11 with 24K if it's in good shape.

As a beginner, you'd be better off with an R3, CB300R or a Ninja 300 -- all will be quicker and cheaper in the long run than Ninja 400 and you can get most of your money back in 2 years when it's time to upgrade.

If you are under 25 or live in Brampton or Markham, insurance might be an issue and you'll have to drop into a lower category dualsport or cruiser for a couple of years. You can find lots of these with low miles in the $2000-2500 range.
Not to argue, but how is a first gen ninja 400 hard to service or expensive for parts?
I have a versys 650, essentially same bike, same engine. So far it's extremely easy to work on and parts aren't more expensive than any other mid level Japanese bike

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

get the 2018 . also you should be able to knock some money of the asking price

Not to argue, but how is a first gen ninja 400 hard to service or expensive for parts?
I have a versys 650, essentially same bike, same engine. So far it's extremely easy to work on and parts aren't more expensive than any other mid level Japanese bike

The only made these bikes for Canada and New Zealand. It's not based on the Versys, it's a modified Ninja 650r chassis with a unique suspension, power plant, engine management and exhaust. They didn't make many... didn't sell many... drop into a Kawi dealer to see what they say about this bike.

The only made these bikes for Canada and New Zealand. It's not based on the Versys, it's a modified Ninja 650r chassis with a unique suspension, power plant, engine management and exhaust. They didn't make many... didn't sell many... drop into a Kawi dealer to see what they say about this bike.
I never said it was based on the Versys. It is a ninja 650r with one difference, they sleeved the engine to bring it down to 399cc. Other than the ecu, all other parts are identical including suspension.
It a simple parallel twin, nothing hard or expensive about it.

People are taking good care of you.I can't add anything.Welcome to GTAM.

I've been looking at Kawa 400's as a bike that could bridge me from beginner to intermediate riding without switching bikes. Was wondering what thoughts were about this bike.

No such thing as its not the bike but the rider who makes this determination. If you go in wanting a new bike in a year or two, or have the mind set that your first bike is a temporary vehicle, then it is a temporary vehicle. Yeah sure a Ninja 400 isn't going to keep up in a top speed 401 w/ optional OPP helicopter videographer highway rip but its still enough bike for anything that needs a blue license plate. An R3 or Ninja 300/400 can be upgraded for the intermediate rider with some new forks, softer tires, a tune and a good map of Ontario twisties. It can become a bike for the advanced rider when you turn it into a track bike and race prep it.

If you do not know much about bikes, do you want to know more/learn more? How many KM do you honestly think you'll put on the bike in a year? Knowing about a bike mechanically isn't particularly relevant if you are going to put on only a couple thousand KM a year.

Too bad this thread wasn't a month ago. GP bikes was blowing out their RC390s for super cheap.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am realizing the bigger challenge than finding a good bike to start on is finding insurance... I've gotten one speeding ticket in the last 3 years (only one in over 10 years driving), so even with my M2 and the course under my belt, it doesnt look like I'll find affordable insurance for even a 250! SMH... not being a defeatist, but it seems crazy how anyone can ever actually start riding a motorcycle.

I have to wonder, can ANY insurance rep on this site tell us what they deem to be the absolute cheapest to insure street legal motorcycle currently on the market?

Not asking what peoples opinion are or what they personally pay here, looking specifically for somebody with access to an actual insurance rate database to punch in the search function and come up with a model (or list of models in the event there is no standout winner)
... I know, I know :/ probably way to much to ask of an insurance sales person, but holy would it ever make it so much easier for a noobie to break into the sport if they could just know for sure what the entry point bottom line to the sport has to be.

Would depend on the individual. No one can seem to match mine for my sport bike, so I stayed with the same company. Grandfathered coverage though as they no longer insure sport bikes.

I have to wonder, can ANY insurance rep on this site tell us what they deem to be the absolute cheapest to insure street legal motorcycle currently on the market?

Not asking what peoples opinion are or what they personally pay here, looking specifically for somebody with access to an actual insurance rate database to punch in the search function and come up with a model (or list of models in the event there is no standout winner)
... I know, I know :/ probably way to much to ask of an insurance sales person, but holy would it ever make it so much easier for a noobie to break into the sport if they could just know for sure what the entry point bottom line to the sport has to be.
I don't work directly in Insurance, but I have some great contacts inside insurance companies. For cars there is a database of IBC distributes to their members. It only covers cars and based on theft data and pricing surveys from member insurers. It's useful in determining the cheapest and most expensive cars to insure. Strangely it is not based on actual risk or payouts for the types of cars listed -- it's based on PRICE SURVEYS,.

There is no such list for motorcycles or off road vehicles. For motorcycles pricing is guesswork based on car demographic data (age, sex, home address) and by class of bike (from low to high: dualsport/cruiser, standard/ST/ADV, SS), then by CC low to high.

Back
Top Bottom