Help_ TD Meloche won't insure my TW200 because I boughtit from the States! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help_ TD Meloche won't insure my TW200 because I boughtit from the States!

Officebob

Bought a nice (vintage?) Yamaha TW200 (1989) Dual Purpose Motorcycle.

TD Meloche temporarily insured it @ $188.00 per year.

Then they phoned and said they are cancelling because the bike has an American VIN

and that Primmum won't insure "import" motorcycles. Eh!!!! What the heck do you mean "import"?

They mean I imported the bike from America. I informed this "Canadian" Insurance person that

Yamaha has been in Canada for a gazillion years, TW200s are still made and yes you can get parts.

Lots of vehicles imported from America every day. What a load of crap. So I shall cancel all. House, Truck,

Bike, Sled and Boat. Other GTA online quotes are ridiculous for a 200 cc. $750.00 to $450.00. I have been

riding on (the street) since 1980. No claims, accidents or speeding.

Any ideas how I can be free in Ontario to ride without paying insurance worth more than the bike?

Bob :confused1:

Have you registered it with the MTO yet? I see no reason why they won't insure it if has an Ontario registration.

hmmmmm ... that makes no sense. Another reason why a privatized insurance industry sucks!

Just because a vehicle is registered and plated with the province does not automatically mean that an insurance company will insure it. Fighting this point with them will be a losing battle. Trust me. Different insurance companies have different underwriting rules on what type of vehicles they will write. As long as these rules are filed with FSCO, then it is within their power to deny coverage to certain vehicles whether Joe Citizen likes it or not. For example, we all know that Riders Plus will not insure super sports. Nothing new here folks. Let's get off this point.

OP, if you are dead set on staying with TD, politely and professionally argue your case up the chain of command. A front line customer service rep does not have authority to overrule the company's underwriting guidelines but a manager has more clout if you understand where I'm going. Point out the fact that you are a client for x amount of years with x lines of business. If you have no claims, it makes your case stronger. Best of luck.

OP, if you are dead set on staying with TD, politely and professionally argue your case up the chain of command. A front line customer service rep does not have authority to overrule the company's underwriting guidelines but a manager has more clout if you understand where I'm going. Point out the fact that you are a client for x amount of years with x lines of business. If you have no claims, it makes your case stronger. Best of luck.

I agree. Surely TD can make an underwriting exception in your case if you are an existing client and have other business with them. If they won't make an exception, I would pack up and go elsewhere.

If you have multiple millions set aside, I believe you can self-insure in Ontario.
Just sayin.

Contant the TD insurance ombudsman and explain your side of the story and their refusal to insure a vehicle that's been properly imported and cleared with canada customs/MTO. Also, if the canadian model exists list that there is no difference between the canadian market release and the US market release other than where it was released.

My guess is you got a n00b working at TD that wasn't sure what he was doing.

Here is a tip: ***** on their twitter account. I know someone who ******* there and got their service activated within hours. Someone from the office of the president monitors the twitter complaints. They don't want to see anything negative on there about TD.

Thanks kindly to all!. Link666 thanks for the great tip. How do I make sure TDMelochMonnex
reads the Tweet? I haven't tweeted too much. Also, Primmum is the underwriter.

Last edited:
Thanks kindly to all!. Link666 thanks for the great tip. How do I make sure TDMelochMonnex
reads the Tweet? I haven't tweeted too much. Also, Primmum is the underwriter.

Just do it on the main TD one. Let them know your feedback about the service. Someone is watching. Get couple of your friends to comment on your tweet or make some fake accounts and do it. Some attention will your problems resolved. Primmum and Melonmonnex are both owned by TD.

Just call and ask to speak to a supervisor. I'm sure a more experienced employee will know how to help you. My friend had a problem when he bought his Speed Triple and TD/Melloche didn't recognize the vin number. He was able to get insured with a quick call to a more experienced rep.

Well I went through direct to Primmum. Turns out they are indeed all one big happy TD family.They hooked up with the same dude at TDMeloche. Buddy wants to save me as a client so he says he will do some more digging. He keeps referring to the VIN number. It doesn't make his computer system happy. That seemed to be the case when I went through US Customs but they let it go. I don't see what the big deal is, because my Chinese motorcycle had "custom" VIN and I had it got insured in Ontario. JYA3AWE08KC007488. Some Yamaha VINs have different sequencing patterns I was reading. What a dramafest. Thanks for all your help thus far. In the mean time, I need a Bike friendly Insurer.

Call FSCO and see if one of the rules they filed is "we don't insured US motorcycle". If they haven't filed such a rule they can't use that as a reason to decline you.

Insurance Resolved

A super fella name Moe from TD Meloche went all out (war paint) and had my VIN registered with the Insurance

Authorities. How's that for action? Another TW200 owner in California has a wierd VIN, he says it points to Asia

so thats what might have messed up the process. Moe fixed it so I won't have any more problems.

I cancelled all the nasty grams to the Ombudsman etc..lol . I downsized for the less expensive insurance.

That's why I was hell bent for leather.

Thanks for the tips GTAMotorcyclers. Really appreciate it.

Bob :cool:

Back
Top Bottom