Help with identifying this outboard boat motor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with identifying this outboard boat motor

oioioi

Site Supporter
...please

I know it's is a Johnson 20hp outboard motor
I am looking for at least a year range or even better a model

I am new to this (boating) but I need to find some parts for it
(Seal for propeller) so it would be helpful to know the year/mod to look ups parts diagrams.

I figured there is enough smart guys on here that should know.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_144805_compress58.jpg
    IMG_20200726_144805_compress58.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 39
One of these days I'll restore my little Neptune Mighty Mite.I think it's over 50 years old.

Reactions: TK4
At that age OEM will likely be replaced by aftermarket but those things ran forever. I don't know the current eco rules on outboards but remember the 20:1 ratio ones disappearing in a cloud of smoke on a rainbow tinted lake. Someone told me a blue sheen on the water got you in trouble.

Perhaps a stupid question but have you opened it up and looked for a plate that gives year and model etc?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
No name are on the outside. It is missing

Did not see anything obvious on the inside.
I will follow the links above as a starting point of resources.

if the plate is missing
there should be something stamped somewhere
not a casting, a stamp, on a major portion of the engine
like one of the crankcase housings

So it looks like it is a 80's motor. Somewhere around 86 or 88.

Klaus Marine Inc. in Etobicoke has been recommended as they specialize in Johnson motors, among others.

Johnson and Evinrudes have the SN stamped into a casting plug on the cylinder. Look for omething like this:

Attachments

• 1595887167699.png
    1595887167699.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
What kind of boat you got? It seems like more and more of my friends are getting boats! Am I missing something? Like 3 buddies bought boats this season.

Boats have become expensive this summer. My son sold his 40 year old runabout for double what he paid for it 5 years ago. Every decent small tin boat he finds is sold immediately.

Maybe it’s the combo of available time, beauty weather, and cheap gasoline.

I might sell my boat. 14' aluminum, flat floor, newish carpet, livewell with 30 hp tiller and two props (4 blade for pulling people and stock 3 blade) on a tilt trailer. According to my brother, I should ask 7. I wasn't planning on selling but for that much, someone else can have it. 99% of the time we use the FIL's boat anyway.

I very briefly toyed with the idea of looking for a cheap PWC that needed some mechanical work. Saw what they go for and noped out of that pretty quick

Boats have become expensive this summer. My son sold his 40 year old runabout for double what he paid for it 5 years ago. Every decent small tin boat he finds is sold immediately.

Maybe it’s the combo of available time, beauty weather, and cheap gasoline.

COVID. You can't go anywhere outside the province and most entertainment venues are closed. Social distancing isn't too hard except at the docks and ramps. With all the new boaters there should be some interesting new YouTube videos. Sadly, a few more drownings.

What kind of boat you got? It seems like more and more of my friends are getting boats! Am I missing something? Like 3 buddies bought boats this season.

15 foot StarCraft aluminum with 20HP motor
Very well converted to a "bass boat" by the previous owner who is a family friend. I will take a picture when I get home

I bought it from him 5-6 years ago and the only water it saw in that time was rain when stored outside under a tarp for a couple of years.

We are going to a cottage for about a week in August so I figured its worth getting it ready and hauling it up Huntsville area

oioioi , Looks like a mid 70's to early 80's , that style existed for a decade or longer. Klaus Marine is the right place, they have been johnson guys for ever and stock parts back to the 60's. Actually stock parts.
Pretty dependable motor , 50:1? I think they all were, and use premium gas and do not use CTC brand 2 stroke oil, use better if you can find it.

@crankcall
I have been to Klaus Marine two times within three days now. I did get some free advice on what to do with my issue. :)(y)
So far, according to the gentleman at the counter (guessing he is the owner, didn't catch his name) the behavior I am describing is perfectly normal.
The way it was described to me is "if you smoked for 30 years, and only coughed than for the first time, all the exhaust buildup would come out". That is whats happening with my motor/propeller.

He did sell me $70 worth of stuff that I do or maybe don't need. (gear oil I need, the rest is pump, screws/caps etc) Wasn't expecting this but I'll take it and support the local shop, especially when "free" advise was given. Although he seem swamped, he did take some time to explain things to me and was nice about it.

Now if my experiment does not work out, a reseal job on this motor is about $495 including $88 for seal kit and ~$70 for water pump. (water pump I may not need)

He actually does not have the kit in stock as they are on back order till sept/oct but can make up the kits from individual parts. I am really hoping I do not need to go this reseal route as that would cost me half of what I paid for my entire boat/motor/trailer.

As for the year.
Based on the info provided to Klaus (motor cover decals, 11 tooth starter gear) this should be between and 1986-88. It is a 100:1 ratio.
I did get come Lucas 2 stroke oil from Crappy Tire.
Thanks for the heads up on the premium gas, I was just going to fill the tank with regular.

I will try to fill the gearbox with the purchased oil today and run it for at least an hour in gear at low speed. Recheck for milky oil and keep my fingers crossed that all is good.

Back
Top Bottom