Help with bicycle purchase | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with bicycle purchase

timtune

Site Supporter
Squeeze and I are looking for new bikes. I couldn't find the thread where IFiddles was looking for one so..

Early 60's. Looking for bikes we can ride the provincial parks we camp at. Typical trails involve roots and rocks. Most parks have lots of elevation changes.

I'm thinking the standard knobbed mountain bike tires, simple 5 speed, not sure we need suspension. If so the front would alone would be enough.

Currently on old mountain bikes with 10-15 speeds that don't all function. One rigid and one sprung on the front. They work but one is my son's and about to leave so it's upgrade time.

Sport chek usually has 2 models they put on big discount during their bigger sales.
Watch out for it.
We picked up 3 last year for my daughter and my parents.
They were like 50% off

I'll try to dig to the sale details later

Do you want ebikes to make it easier (at higher cost)?

How far/fast do you plan on riding? Fat bikes are fun as they can go most places even along beaches but they are slow. If you are cruising around enjoying the experience, slow may be entirely acceptable.

I don't think a 5 speed bike is a thing you can buy. Most bikes now with gears will have one chainring at the front and 10 speeds with a derailleur at the back. You can get fewer gears if you get internal geared hubs and they are awesome for a lot of reasons but the hub alone costs more than you probably want to spend on a bike.

Budget? Years ago we bought my BIL one of the sport chek clearance specials that oioioi recommended. I have ridden better bikes but for the money, it was pretty damned good and it still works fine.

At almost any price point, the less suspension the better. I doubt you can buy a mountain bike with a rigid fork anymore (other than fat bikes which have rigid forks as the tires work as suspension). A cheap full suspension bike is a miserable experience with lots of bobbing up and down and not so much moving forward.

If you want you bikes tuned up, bring them by. It normally doesn't take long to get them working again.

I'd say don't buy at Canadian Tire. In addition to Sport Check, Decathlon has some options too, not sure when htey have sales though..

Agree. Avoid walmart, canadian tire, etc. Even at sport chek, decathlon etc remember that a minimum wage kid with little experience assembled your bike. Check it over before you trust it. If you buy at a bike store you support a local business and I trust the assembly but generally you pay more.

Costco also has reasonable bikes at reasonable prices. Not stellar but solid value for money.

Used bikes obviously get you tons more bike for the same money.

Whatever you get, make sure they are sized properly. The wrong size bike is not fun.

EDIT

Just checked the Sport Chek site on my phone.
Seems like they have several bikes at decent discount.

Also. If you buy a bike at SC. They come with 1 year free maintenance/tune up.

I bought my bike there 15 years ago and still works great. I'm not an avid cyclist but ....

I personally love and ride Rocky Mountain - it's our CAnadian Company and bikes are great quality for money. But these are "real" bikes (not your wallmart variety) with proper price tag. Lot's of dealers in Ontario. Great support, especially when you establish a good relationship with your local shop. I buy everything at Spoke O'Motion - Newmarket's Bicycle Shop Since 1988. who's the small local family business with many good brands in store... Should be someone like this in your area.

Agree. Avoid walmart, canadian tire, etc. Even at sport chek, decathlon etc remember that a minimum wage kid with little experience assembled your bike. Check it over before you trust it.

Costco also has reasonable bikes at reasonable prices. Not stellar but solid value for money.

Used bikes obviously get you tons more bike for the same money.

Whatever you get, make sure they are sized properly. The wrong size bike is not fun.

EDIT
Some stores use a third party contract to assemble.
I know of the guy that does it in Milton.
They are paid by the bike.
Not that they are mechanics but I know in this case, the family has been in the bicycle business for years.

Not that they are mechanics but I know in this case, the family has been in the bicycle business for years.
Good to know. I know canadian tire and sport chek used to sell you the assembled bike but included a waver that you should have it checked over by a bike shop prior to riding it. Umm, if they are buying a pricepoint bike, they are not going to pay a bike shop for an inspection/tuneup. That was bs cya crap.

Be careful with CT and their return policy on bikes.
If you paid for it, it is yours forever. Regardless if you left the store with it or not.

Last edited:
I'd say don't buy at Canadian Tire. In addition to Sport Check, Decathlon has some options too, not sure when htey have sales though..

Hey my supercycle from CT has lasted for years!

Hey my supercycle from CT has lasted for years!
Durability on bikes is pretty good if you treat them decently. In general, CT bikes are very heavy. I used them in university as they were cheap transportation, lived outside and got stolen. I don't enjoy riding most bikes from CT but they serve a purpose.

Kevin.

Durability on bikes is pretty good if you treat them decently. In general, CT bikes are very heavy. I used them in university as they were cheap transportation, lived outside and got stolen. I don't enjoy riding most bikes from CT but they serve a purpose.
We had a big sign above service. 'We do not repair Supercycles'
They are disposable. When stuff goes wrong, it will cost more to fix than the bike is worth.

Which is fine... as long as you know these things going in.

That being said, even cheap bikes are way better these days. Aluminum rims, decent brakes.

Do not buy cheap suspension bikes. They do not work and just add tons of weight and slop to the bike.

Before going to any big box check out a couple of local bike shops with good reputations. The advantage of the LBS is the bike should leave properly assembled and set-up. Most of a big box price difference at the decent entry level specs can be eaten up getting the big box bike right. In general the industry is hurting a bit and there are deals to be had due to COVID hangover. Shop around, don't rush.

For big box, generally big box sporting goods will be better than big box everything. My SportChek experience though (I have fixed many new bikes for friends and family) is generally not good, specially on their entry level bikes. Decathalon is better so far. MEC is LBS level. I generally won't touch anything in my home shop from Walmart or CT unless the kid is really crying...

Bikes come from the factory partially assembled and the store does the final assembly and set-up. They SHOULD also be checking already assembled things like bolt torques, bearings, etc. That and the ability to properly adjust is generally what seperates a LBS from a teenager with a set of allen keys you find at most BB stores.

For what you are looking for less is more. Better to get something that fits right, slightly better spec drivetrain and less "features". You do not need top spec anything for your purpose but you also do not want a leadsled that is super heavy as it will be a PITA to take with you on your trips (load and unload). LBS also know how to fit you...

Avoid CT and SuperCycle like the plague. Bought one for my wife and it’s so frustrating I’m tempted to either toss it or relegate it to cottage duty only.

Gears skip, brakes are garbage, and I’m not sure if it’s even worth trying to sort out or not.

Good thing she doesn’t ride it much, I might be a widower by now.

Avoid CT and SuperCycle like the plague. Bought one for my wife and it’s so frustrating I’m tempted to either toss it or relegate it to cottage duty only.

Gears skip, brakes are garbage, and I’m not sure if it’s even worth trying to sort out or not.

Good thing she doesn’t ride it much, I might be a widower by now.
Most of that is probably adjustment issues (minimum wage kid that dgaf and has major time pressure does that). Bring it by sometime and we'll make it better.

Most of that is probably adjustment issues (minimum wage kid that dgaf and has major time pressure does that). Bring it by sometime and we'll make it better.
Well you know I’m gonna take you up on that! LoL

Back
Top Bottom