Help with a punctured tire? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with a punctured tire?

hymnz

So, I got a nail in my rear tire somewhere in Downtown in the morning and I rode around 50 kms before I realized it. Right now my bike is put on center stand with the mail still in the tire. I ordered the plug kit from Amazon. And I don't know what else to do.

Should I get it professionally fixed? Will the plug kit be enough? Will Canadian Tire fix it? I'm in Mississauga btw.

Please halp!

Attachments

• IMG-20230721-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20230721-WA0017.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 44
Canadian Tire won't fix it, but they'll happily sell you the same repair kit (external plug/"rope") so you can get this job done without having to wait for a package in the mail. I've done that repair on bike and car tires many times, and if the plug is suitable (has to be a hole, not a slice) I've never had a subsequent issue with it.

Middle camp here. For motorcycle tires here I would look for someone to do a internal patch/plug. I have experienced a flat tire on the DVP on a bike, and though nothing terrible happened I don't need to experience it again. I don't mind using rope plugs on car tires, but I also don't mind installing the spare if I get a flat

Prepare for opinion from each extreme, from “just plug it” to “replace the tire before riding again”.

I’m in the first camp. Rope plug well and forget it.

Camp One here as well.

Got a nail in a tire with 100 kms on it. That was quite a kick in the teeth.

Plugged it with a $10 kit and rode it through all sorts of harsh terrain till the tire was bald.

Actually, can you take a pic of the nail so I can see where it is in relation to the center of the tire?
It's smack in the middle of the tire. Added the pic to original post.

Have you lost any pressure? Draw a circle around the object and then try pulling it out with pliers. It may actually be a screw, so you can also try turning it counterclockwise while pulling. If you're lucky, it might be short enough that it hasn't gone below the tread, in which case you don't need to do anything.

Just plug it but keep monitoring the tire pressure for few weeks before calling it a victory.

I have successfully used rope plugs for the life of the tire. That being said, $50 for a proper internal mushroom patch gives you piece of mind. I always have rope patches and tools in the bike so I could fix a failed plug or new hole roadside.

Bear in mind, external plugs only work in tubeless tires on tubeless wheels.
A tube equipped tire must have the tire removed and the tube patched (temporary repair) or the tube replaced.
Ain't no way around it.
Or carry a spare tire/wheel. Lol

Wow. Hard to tell what's going on there but from what I can spy, he's got a 17" Excel rear rim up front, shod with a Mitas E-07 rear tire. Ohlins shock seems to be supplementing the stock forks in some kind of Telelever-like front suspension. Trying to figure out if the front will dive under braking with that configuration. I think it still will?

Doesn't look off-the-shelf at all, as far as hacks are concerned...

Would love to know more about that front suspension!

Wow. Hard to tell what's going on there but from what I can spy, he's got a 17" Excel rear rim up front, shod with a Mitas E-07 rear tire. Ohlins shock seems to be supplementing the stock forks in some kind of Telelever-like front suspension. Trying to figure out if the front will dive under braking with that configuration. I think it still will?

Doesn't look off-the-shelf at all, as far as hacks are concerned...

Would love to know more about that front suspension!
Google Earles front forks

Back
Top Bottom