Help with a punctured tire? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with a punctured tire?

I used a rope plug on my Nissan Frontier mid summer last year. Took the wheels off and replaced with winters… put the same summer tires back on. No issues in about 15K km so far.

Have a mushroom plug kit as well, but haven’t used it as of yet.

I have great confidence in plugs. While riding north of St. John's NL, I was alerted to
a screwhead protruding from the middle of the front tire's tread. I rode carefully to
a gas station, and waited for another biker to come along. One did, and led me to
a large group of auto- and motorcycle-aficionados, one of whom plugged my tire
in a few seconds. I persuaded him to accept a token of my gratitude, thanked him,
and went on my way.

The fix lasted 2700 Km., all the way to Toronto, where I bought a new tire.

I am told that a plug placed well off the center-line of the tire will not do well.

Since then, I have carried a plug-it kit, and used it once, with success.

Salos Dafee

I've never had a plug cause balance issues. Not saying it isn't possible but the strip isn't very heavy.

true, 1% difference might not have the same effect comparing 125cc Grom and 1000RR supersport - speed rates and vibration sensitivity def not the same...

You'll be fine without a re-balance if it feels fine.

I picked up a screw on my rear tire Tues night. Tire seems to be holding air; was 33.5 psi Tues night when we pulled over, and is still 33-ish psi two days later.

This is very possibly a stupid question...should I leave the screw in or just go ahead and rope plug it?
1000004463.jpg

I picked up a screw on my rear tire Tues night. Tire seems to be holding air; was 33.5 psi Tues night when we pulled over, and is still 33-ish psi two days later.

This is very possibly a stupid question...should I leave the screw in or just go ahead and rope plug it?
View attachment 67652
Pull and plug. The screw could fling out and/or start leaking at any time.

Plug it.

Make sure to use a Robertson plug.

Just pulled the screw out; here's my dilemma, it's got just the tiniest of leaks. It takes a few minutes for just a little bit of bubbles to form when I spray soapy water on it.

Do I risk making things worse by creating an actual hole for the rope plug, or wait and see how much air it'll lose overnight? 🤷‍♂️ Anyone rode with a slow, slow leak before?

Here's the extent of the bubbles after like 10 minutes, water's nearly dried off:
1000004468.jpg

It doesn't really feel good to make the hole "worse" in order to insert the plug but that's how they work. I would recommend against just leaving it, that leaves a problem that will catch up with you when you're not expecting it - the leak is almost certainly going to get worse if you ride on it.

Back
Top Bottom