Helmet life | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet life

Just got back from Asia and god know what helmets I had on the rentals. :)

Think I'll keep the corsair around as there just don't seem to be super cool designs anymore as far as flashy helmets go. Learned a lot gents...hopefully keep the shiny side up and don't have to figure out with whichever the choice was best.

ECE 22.06 tests modular helmets, including the chin bar in both open and closed positions.
Passing ECE testing means it meets their minimum standards, not all the standards in the industry for the chin bar (example Snell) or that they are not tested at all in this context. I am not saying they are dangerous but if all that matters in life is safety, must buy new for safety's sake as old is dangerous, there are better helmets by design and of course if all that matters in life is safety, this hobby was probably a poor selection.

All comes down to compromise choices everyone has to make, helmet age as a number alone is just one of many factors.

When my beloved Shoei RF1000 was done, I went for a Shark Evo-One modular. Looks like a good build and design but it is noisy compared to the Shoei full face.

Is there a problem with wearing one of the adventure type helmets linked above for just road ridding? They seem to have a wider field of view and sun visor comes in handy.

I think everyone would agree with that statement as written. It's the economics that come into play. At 5 years, I wouldn't need much convincing to shelve a $300 helmet, but I'd need an iron clad argument to do the same with a $1000 Arai if all it needed was a new liner.
Isn't that a good reason to not buy $1000+ helmets? I got a shoei gt air 2 and I doubt I'll buy another helmet this expensive ever again. It's no better than my previous Bell or Scorpion before that both of which were 1/3 the price. If anything I think the fit and finish is slightly worse than my Bell.

Is there a problem with wearing one of the adventure type helmets linked above for just road ridding? They seem to have a wider field of view and sun visor comes in handy.

The stubby peak of a adventure helmet is ornamental only compared to the real-life usage of a MX helmet's peak, which is longer and is used to shield the rider's face from the stones and dirt kicked up by the bike in front of them, simply by tilting the head down slightly.

Although the peak of an ADV helmet can be used to block the sun, it is only useful when the sun is at a specific position in front and above the rider, so a lot of times, all it does it just catch the air at non-dirtbike, highway speeds if you don't have adequate wind protection.

ADV helmets have all the disadvantages of a road helmet in the dirt (inadequate ventilation, short peak) and all the disadvantages of an MX helmet on the road (noisy, catches the air).

It's purely for virtue signaling: "I'm on a bike that looks like a dirt bike, but it's not. So I'm wearing a helmet that looks like dirt bike helmet.

But it's not..."

The stubby peak of a adventure helmet is ornamental only compared to the real-life usage of a MX helmet's peak, which is longer and is used to shield the rider's face from the stones and dirt kicked up by the bike in front of them, simply by tilting the head down slightly.

Although the peak of an ADV helmet can be used to block the sun, it is only useful when the sun is at a specific position in front and above the rider, so a lot of times, all it does it just catch the air at non-dirtbike, highway speeds if you don't have adequate wind protection.

ADV helmets have all the disadvantages of a road helmet in the dirt (inadequate ventilation, short peak) and all the disadvantages of an MX helmet on the road (noisy, catches the air).

It's purely for virtue signaling: "I'm on a bike that looks like a dirt bike, but it's not. So I'm wearing a helmet that looks like dirt bike helmet.

But it's not..."
Thanks! So they are just as vain as us road riders 😂

Isn't that a good reason to not buy $1000+ helmets? I got a shoei gt air 2 and I doubt I'll buy another helmet this expensive ever again. It's no better than my previous Bell or Scorpion before that both of which were 1/3 the price. If anything I think the fit and finish is slightly worse than my Bell.

Well that's up to you. Just like anything, price has an exponential relationship with quality. I've never actually liked Shoei, and the fact that they didn't fit me well didn't help their case. The Arai Signet?, RX-7* and Corsair series fit me perfectly, and I can absolutely tell the difference in quality compared to my HJC FS-15 carbon and Scorpion EXO-ST1400 carbon helmets. The Scorpion's visor button is starting to fail like mentioned in another thread by someone else, and I'm starting to hear rattling, which might just be the drop down visor, but it's still irritating. And pulling the helmet on, sometimes I grab the strap and I get the cushion, and it feels like I'm going to rip it off one day. Then there's barely enough room to pull the strap tight and I always feel like it's a touch loose. But for half the price of a non-carbon Corsair-X, and 1/10th the price of a Corsair-X Carbon, I can't complain TOO much, but nobody can say there isn't a difference.

But it's not..."

I find the peak on my lid very useful, especially when the sun is low. For instance, heading into the western sun at 6:30pm yesterday, I sure was glad to have it. And I've yet to encounter any aero weirdness, even at highway speeds.

On the other hand, I'm only human, and experience vanity just as most do. Thus, I don't wear that helmet on the Thruxton, 'cuz that would just be wrong!

Wear whatever you like, bud. There are no rules.

The life of a helmet begins at the moment of conception.
To decide to terminate that life after the 8th week of ownership is immoral and should be illegal.
I read it in the bible, so it must be true...

I just ordered a Scorpion XT9000 Carbon Trailhead. GP Bikes had a really good price, better than US with conversion.

I was shocked when I checked my Bell Star RSD today and saw it was 2016. Damn thing still looks new. Going to miss that Panovision photochromic shield though.

Back
Top Bottom