Hello! Intro + Some Questions | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello! Intro + Some Questions

Congrats on your first bike. You mentioned you have concerns about theft. Do you have on or off-street parking?

If you have off street parking, perhaps look at making a diy concrete anchor of some kind with a sonotube form and a big eye hook set into it. Then chain the bike to it and cover.

On street, your choices are quite limited. Alarm, or disc lock and cover.

Or park it next to an SS or Harley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first bike. You mentioned you have concerns about theft. Do you have on or off-street parking?

If you have off street parking, perhaps look at making a diy concrete anchor of some kind with a sonotube form and a big eye hook set into it. Then chain the bike to it and cover.

On street, your choices are quite limited. Alarm, or disc lock and cover.

Or park it next to an SS or Harley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s off street, but in a public paid parking garage (they do monthly rates for tenants and non tenants). Not a condo so less wealth there, hopefully that means less people deliberately looking for bikes like they do in condos.

I think putting any sort of permanent anchor there will be quite impossible. Disc alarm might be good so nobody tries to touch it at least. But not sure how effective that will be along with a cover.

I’ll be parking on street at work. But I’m a bit less concerned about middle of the day parking in my neighbourhood as I might be able to just park it outside my window at work. Or I can leave it on the sidewalk and see if the parking cop gives me an earful. I know it’s technically illegal right?

Thieves have their eyes on super sports and harleys which have a much higher risk/reward than a 125. I'm not saying don't worry at all about it being stolen, but it shouldn't keep you up at night. Keep it out of sight with a disc lock and you'll be fine

Thieves have their eyes on super sports and harleys which have a much higher risk/reward than a 125. I'm not saying don't worry at all about it being stolen, but it shouldn't keep you up at night. Keep it out of sight with a disc lock and you'll be fine
Been reading about disc locks. Seems Oxford Boss is the most common one that is least likely to turn itself on all the time.

Ive also found this company from the UK, which seems very affordable and cool. Stumbled upon some people praising them on some other forums.

FAQ - MotorbikeAlarm.co.uk

These seem very cool and affordable. A bit of wiring needed, but they actually send you the wiring diagram and instructions based on your specific bike apparently, which is a very nice touch. The V2 talking model with shipping will be about $80 to Canada!

That plus maybe a non alarm disc lock would be awesome. Though I bet the disc alarm also doesn't let you forget about it, which is important.

Anyone have experience with these anti-theft systems?

Realistically, not too worried about a pro taking my bike. Unless they part it out in Asia or the UK I doubt there's much market for a 125 here unlike in the UK or something. But there's plenty of questionable people roaming the streets of my neighborhood - not to paint with a wide brush but its quite frankly just a fact. I want them to piss themselves if they touch my bike haha. Thinking a very portable cover that I can toss in my backpack and a disc lock or vibration alarm as mentioned above.

This should technically be a discussion for a different thread... but I'll just post it here for now.

Personally I'd go with a long cable lock. You can hit both wheels or chain the frame to a post. If I was to steal CBR125, a disk lock would be a joke -- just lift the locked wheel and roll er away.

yup, small bike can be be picked up and loaded into a vehicle easily

the motion alarms are a better option

like mentioned earlier
the cordless grinder will be though any chain or cable in short order
those things are a thieve's dream tool

another idea is a different bike
like a V-Strom
no one has ever stolen a V-Strom

yup, small bike can be be picked up and loaded into a vehicle easily

the motion alarms are a better option

like mentioned earlier
the cordless grinder will be though any chain or cable in short order
those things are a thieve's dream tool

another idea is a different bike
like a V-Strom
no one has ever stolen a V-Strom
Thing is from everything I’ve read is that thieves using trucks and vans is apparently exceedingly rare. I’m sure those guys are organized and would want something worth a bit more than a grand for their trouble. Am I wrong? F9 and many others claim panel van thieves are virtually nonexistent as far as stealing methods go?

Alarm is my main objective. Obviously if someone wants it they will take it.

I just don’t want a crackhead trying to get on my bike or push it away/Hotwire it. Locking to something else will not be possible I imagine because it’s monthly paid parking in an underground public lot.
Been debating on going through the residential streets and knocking on doors offering 100/mo to use their garage lol. Doubt anyone would be into that but who knows. If I leave them a copy of my license it’s not like I can do anything sketchy there.

For now the underground garage is what’s happening. Just trying to figure out what I can buy for safety that is very portable as well.

I think you over-estimate the energy level of crack heads
and underestimate their desire to turn a score into quick cash

motorcycle thieves target motorcycles that can be resold easily and quickly loaded and gone

I like the idea of walking the neighborhood and talking to neighbors
a garage space would be a great find
even off-street parking on private property and out of sight with a cover would be alright

there are still lots of kind hearted people around
it's worth a shot

I think you over-estimate the energy level of crack heads
and underestimate their desire to turn a score into quick cash

motorcycle thieves target motorcycles that can be resold easily and quickly loaded and gone

I like the idea of walking the neighborhood and talking to neighbors
a garage space would be a great find
even off-street parking on private property and out of sight with a cover would be alright

there are still lots of kind hearted people around
it's worth a shot
Actually dealing with a huge crack head problem at work right now: so I’m learning that some of them are not only desperate for quick cash, but very swift. Definitely puts me on edge.

Whenever I google theft stats on my bike there’s only really info for people in the UK because every learner there has one. For North America the best I’ve found is a list of brands that are stolen most: which I don’t even find valuable because even though Honda is number 1, the amount of Honda’s sold likely far outweighs the amount of Ducati’s let’s say, and nobody will park a duc in a public garage I assume, so those numbers are quite skewed imo. Also no models specified. Though seems consensus is Harley’s and SS, which makes sense to me. Also condo targeting makes sense to me because that’s where people with money are - ergo, more likely to find good options for theft.

Definitely wanna do a walk around my area and see what I can find. Not many houses with garages, but on some streets there are - its usually all old money because my area is right in the core, meaning anyone who owns property here probably bought it at least 30 years ago. Problem is most houses are rented to students, which I want to avoid.

My plan is to just go house to house and ask if it’s doable to rent a garage space for the summer. Only issue would be getting them to be ok with me having a key and constant access to the garage. I could offer them a photocopy or two pieces of ID, and a signed contract to seal the deal.

Regardless I’ll probaboy be doing a month in a public garage, but this would be a great option for me.

Hey @JavaFan, or anyone else who might be able to chime in.

Planning on walking my streets on Thursday to ask people for driveway renting.

Anyone who’s a homeowner here wanna give me some tips on how not to sound sketchy as hell or like some jehovas witness marketing dude when I come to your door? I’m not particularly socially inclined when it comes to random strangers, so it’s likely this will be just as awkward for me as it will be for them lol!

Took a look at the garage last night. No motorcycles there except an e bike with a cover on it. Also the stairwell to get in and out is very sketchy and the garage door doesn’t actually close, it’s just open all the time since it’s public paid parking. To say I feel uneasy about that space is an understatement. Obviously if it’s my only choice I will do it with a cover, disc alarm and possibly a cable if I can wrap it around something.

Worst comes to worst I can park it at my dads, but that automatically removes my ability to use this bike as a commuting vehicle. Ugh. Might just keep it with him until I find a solid place.

I would not overthink the street parking or the 'random x sitting on my bike'.

The alarm won't dissuade someone really wanting to feel cool or take that picture and any thief who really want's her will just take it. Furthermore this is why you pay for insurance.

Get the bike you want and enjoy it, don't add more stress where you don't have to.

(This coming from a guy with a heavily modified bike which 1 person could practically lift up and walk away with.)

I would not overthink the street parking or the 'random x sitting on my bike'.

The alarm won't dissuade someone really wanting to feel cool or take that picture and any thief who really want's her will just take it. Furthermore this is why you pay for insurance.

Get the bike you want and enjoy it, don't add more stress where you don't have to.

(This coming from a guy with a heavily modified bike which 1 person could practically lift up and walk away with.)
The bike all in is worth around $1500, so insuring for theft wouldn't even be worth it when I factor in the deductible and how much insurance will screw me if I claim a loss on theft. Though correct me if I am wrong.

Will try to not let it get to me. I had a B&E at my house a few years back while I was sleeping only a few walls over and that really ****** me up as far as trusting humanity goes. This is just reawakening that fear in me.

I found a few spots sort of in my area that seem to be residential. They want it to be outdoor parking, but I am curious if outdoor but residential is safer than underground and public? One of the posts actually has a dualsport parked in there as well, so that gives me a bit of confidence, hmm.

The key is to always park next to a nicer motorcycle
:| which gets to be difficult if you own a really nice motorcycle,
in which case you need to always park it within clear line of sight and close range ?

I found a few spots sort of in my area that seem to be residential. They want it to be outdoor parking, but I am curious if outdoor but residential is safer than underground and public? One of the posts actually has a dualsport parked in there as well, so that gives me a bit of confidence, hmm.
Outdoor as in next/behind the house?

One is behind a house. But still looking onto a street. That one has a photo of a DS bike parked there as well. The other listing doesn't have photos so I am trying to get more info from the Landlord.

The key is to always park next to a nicer motorcycle
:| which gets to be difficult if you own a really nice motorcycle,
in which case you need to always park it within clear line of sight and close range ?
One thing I have going for me is my bike isn't very nice. Doubt a 125 has any resale value on black market in Canada either. Organized crime will probably get a bike worth 5x more than mine and get it from a condo garage, but who the hell knows. So many defective pieces of **** in this city.

As long as it's not parked on the front driveway i'd say it's an upgrade from underground open parking.

Seems to be a laneway behind the house or something.

Edit: confirmed its a laneway.

just over a km walk from my house. I am ok with that all things considered. My family does that in Russia since there are separate parking complexes (complete with giant stray dogs that will literally rip any intruder to shreds) and have a 10+ minute walk to the car every day.

Back
Top Bottom