hello folks! bit of a dilemma here | GTAMotorcycle.com

hello folks! bit of a dilemma here

malyfsborin88

hey guys just discovered this community last night and since im planning on getting my first bike, i decided to become a member.

a little background of my situation, i got my M1 near the end of may and i couldnt wait to hop on a bike since i have had experience riding before. At first i was looking at the brand new cbr250 or the ninja 250 but then i realized that i would probably get bored of it in less than a week so i decided to look into 600's. i fell in love with the gixxr and i was so close to finance it from Vos motors before i realized that i should check insurance first. get ready for this

TD - $15000/yr
jevco - $23000/yr

pretty much over $10000 everywhere else except Statefarm but for that i require G license with min 5 yrs exp. ive already booked my G and M2 course for June 30th but the 5 yrs would be completed by sept this year.

Now i know the best option is to wait till Sept but that means i wont be able to ride much this year. could you guys suggest any other options.

Last edited:
Welcome and have you thought of riders plus?,ask for mike guy....really good dude and can do it all over email:),good luck,hope you're riding soon!

I'd say buy a used 250 (I love my hyosung, and I'm not a new rider) and you can always sell it for close to what you paid in a few months our early next season when you are financially allowed to graduate to a bigger ss.

TD - $15000/yr
jevco - $23000/yr

With quotes like that, I might be susceptible to assume you're 16 y/o with 1 point left on your G1 licence that you got last weekend...

If your heart is set on the GSX-R, I'm not going to tell you where to spend your money but you should probably look into something smaller or at least consider something like the SV650 or V-Strom (you won't notice much performance difference between these bikes and the GSX-R until you start doing some really illegal stuff on the street).

I have a gs500f and it's a good bike I wanted gsxr but knew I needed a lil more experience. And I only pay 485 for the yr

Could you please tell us more about yourself? Age, driving experience(any outstanding tickets) These are all important factors that relate to quotes on top of the 5 year G experience wanted by statefarm.

Why do you say you'll get bored of a 250 in a week? There are plenty of riders here who have years of experience under their belt and they don't want to let go of their 250s. Assuming you want a SS because it goes fast? As moredeth13 once said, 'It doesn't take much skill to go fast in a straight line.'

I suggest going with an SV650 or a 650R.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your courses and finding your ride.

Welcome and have you thought of riders plus?,ask for mike guy....really good dude and can do it all over email:),good luck,hope you're riding soon!

^^^ Rider Plus will not insure SS bikes, so unless your getting a cruiser, touring, or sport touring don't waste your time calling.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome. Insurance kills us all.

TD - $15000/yr
jevco - $23000/yr

pretty much over $10000 everywhere else except Statefarm but for that i require G license with min 5 yrs exp. ive already booked my G and M2 course for June 30th but the 5 yrs would be completed by sept this year.

Now i know the best option is to wait till Sept but that means i wont be able to ride much this year. could you guys suggest any other options.

Wow! That's insane!

Have you ever considered a supermoto, like a Yamaha WR250R or a Suzuki DRZ 400SM until you get a few years riding and insurance history? They may not go 250kph or be suitable for long distances, but they're a lot of fun to ride. $15,000 thousand for a summer of riding? You might as well rent from GTA Exotics, if they'll rent to you - IIRC, an M2 is sufficient to rent a bike.

Why do you say you'll get bored of a 250 in a week? There are plenty of riders here who have years of experience under their belt and they don't want to let go of their 250s. Assuming you want a SS because it goes fast? As moredeth13 once said, 'It doesn't take much skill to go fast in a straight line.'

Truer words have never been spoken - the above quote is sound, sound advice.

I know of riders and their 250s who can dust guys on bigger bikes in the corners. As noted above, it takes little skill to go fast in a straight line, and having any SS/"R" as your first bike is courting trouble. Stick with the 250, your insurance rates will be much more palatable, you've got a bike that will perform (unless you happen to want to drag the bike, it's silly to think you can get easily bored of the bike), you can ride this year AND you've got a ride that will be forgiving enough for when you have brain farts (and you WILL have brain farts). If you're still not convinced, head on over to the Gixxer.com forums for a true taste of what people think about getting an R bike as your first bike (be warned, we are rabid militants on those forums and the site is not for the feint of heart or those who offend easily i.e. see how moderators on this board scramble to delete posts by anyone who is nasty to others, yeah, the Gixxer boards are more liberal in that respect...my suggestion to you is read the advice, don't post...yet).

As the saying goes: "There's 2 types of riders - ones that have dropped their bikes, and ones who will" (I'm being nice here, replace "dropped" with "crashed"). Do yourself a favour and learn all the ins and outs of riding on the 250, it'll make you a much, much better rider in future (and perhaps at that time your insurance rates will have dropped to non-ridiculous levels).

With quotes like that, I might be susceptible to assume you're 16 y/o with 1 point left on your G1 licence that you got last weekend...

If your heart is set on the GSX-R, I'm not going to tell you where to spend your money but you should probably look into something smaller or at least consider something like the SV650 or V-Strom (you won't notice much performance difference between these bikes and the GSX-R until you start doing some really illegal stuff on the street).

I wouldn't mind those quotes if I was a 16yo lol (i know you were being sarcastic there). But the fact of the matter is I'm turning 23 this year and I've not had a single ticket or demerit points so far.

Last edited:
Could you please tell us more about yourself? Age, driving experience(any outstanding tickets) These are all important factors that relate to quotes on top of the 5 year G experience wanted by statefarm.

I will be turning 23 this year, my 5 years of driving experience would be completed in Sept of this yr and I haven't had any tickets so far.

Thanks for making me look at it in a different light. Plus what's the point of having fast bikes when the legal speed limit here is only 100km/h, unless you're taking it to the tracks.

I guess I will go with the 250's got nothing to lose and I'm not killing myself just to ride it in the summer.

Truer words have never been spoken - the above quote is sound, sound advice.

I know of riders and their 250s who can dust guys on bigger bikes in the corners. As noted above, it takes little skill to go fast in a straight line, and having any SS/"R" as your first bike is courting trouble. Stick with the 250, your insurance rates will be much more palatable, you've got a bike that will perform (unless you happen to want to drag the bike, it's silly to think you can get easily bored of the bike), you can ride this year AND you've got a ride that will be forgiving enough for when you have brain farts (and you WILL have brain farts). If you're still not convinced, head on over to the Gixxer.com forums for a true taste of what people think about getting an R bike as your first bike (be warned, we are rabid militants on those forums and the site is not for the feint of heart or those who offend easily i.e. see how moderators on this board scramble to delete posts by anyone who is nasty to others, yeah, the Gixxer boards are more liberal in that respect...my suggestion to you is read the advice, don't post...yet).

As the saying goes: "There's 2 types of riders - ones that have dropped their bikes, and ones who will" (I'm being nice here, replace "dropped" with "crashed"). Do yourself a favour and learn all the ins and outs of riding on the 250, it'll make you a much, much better rider in future (and perhaps at that time your insurance rates will have dropped to non-ridiculous levels).

Thanks for being considerate of my noobness lol but thank you all for the great advice, I knew I came to the right community.

I guess I will go with the 250's got nothing to lose and I'm not killing myself just to ride it in the summer.

Also, look at the Suzuki GSF 500 - I recently sold my 09. I am 19, with Jevco and had a good rate. $160 more then a 250 so I went with the 500.

Get a CBR125 for this season then sell it and get a different bike next year. That way you can still have fun this season!!!

Back
Top Bottom