Hell just froze. Heading to Harley-Davidson dealership tonight. | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hell just froze. Heading to Harley-Davidson dealership tonight.

Nice Ride OP

To each their own but the only HD products that appeal to me are the XR1200 and the Buell line up. I just can't get into forward controls. It feels too awkward whenever I ride my fathers '84 FLH

Nice Ride OP

To each their own but the only HD products that appeal to me are the XR1200 and the Buell line up. I just can't get into forward controls. It feels too awkward whenever I ride my fathers '84 FLH

At least your Dad is cool. :D

At least your Dad is cool. :D

Except we rarely get to ride together because his bike is always apart. :D

Although now that he has finally gotten everything exactly the way he wants (he is a tinkerer) my new commuter scooter project has now become his tinker toy. lol

Congratulations, your going to love riding that bike. Get out there in a t shirt , half helmet you'll never look back.

If ever you need to get back on a sport bike, then get one and own both, 2 bikes are not uncommon.

If you spend a good amount of time on a Dyna and then a Softail it might become apparent why people enjoy softails. I use to prefer Dyna's because I thought they were more stripped down, raw and I didn't mind the vibration and sound. Like you say, the quintessential cruiser. But now I would pick a softail over a Dyna because I just feel that they provide a more pleasurable ride for cruising (in my opinion).

My experience has been the opposite... the wife has an '06 Softail Deluxe that I've ridden a few times and I had an '06 Super Glide for a year. The Dyna could be ridden way more aggressively and, IMO, it was more comfy. Except at idle and at 85-95kmh where the vibration from the rubber mount motor was too intense for my liking.

I've owned nothing but Japanese bikes in my 30+ years of riding, but a couple of years ago, I took a Harley on a test ride and didn't mind it at all. Different ride than what you get from an inline 4 cyl - not as high strung. I know a few guys who own Harleys and they can ride all day long on them, which is something that no crotch rocket rider can say. I say... vive la difference! Ride whatever turns your crank!

And here I am feeling kinda strange/guilty going from a gixxer750 to a Honda CB 1000r. I'm 43 and my next bike will have lots of Jam as well as be comfortable for a 5hr trip. I wish you all the best in your transistion to HD.

Last edited:
Cool looking bike OP. Congrats!!
I recently remembered that I always liked the Electric Glide when I was a kid and didn't know any better. But damn, those cops could sure ride the snot out of them.
And I have been thinking about the whole Harley/Sportbike thing lately. My current ride is an FZ1, a sport tourer. I have no hate on for any riders or their choice of rides. But I have noticed that whenever I am riding my favorite twisty roads (usually no more than 20 over the speed limit) and catch up to a conga line of cars going below the speed limit, there is inevitably a cruiser or two in front of them.
I have actually found myself looking at electric glides, on the road and at a couple of dealers. But I would only consider one if I could take it in the twisties and confirm that it is the riders and not the bike that make them so slow in the corners.
I just finished a 4900km drive across the continent and I am in Vancouver this morning. I've only seen 2 bikers, both riding Harley's, that I would consider to be motorcyclists as opposed to being cruisers. They rode their bikes like they were on sportbikes. I was doing 10 to 15 mph over the 70mph speed limit in my Corolla, through the mountain twisties. So were they and doing it very well.
I hope to be able to take a test ride on a HD in the near future. Then I will see if there might be a HD in my future. As long as I can get one that can corner well and isn't entirely weighed down by chrome. Oh, and it will have to be a good colour for getting dirty since I know that I will never will a trophy at a show and shine.

My experience has been the opposite... the wife has an '06 Softail Deluxe that I've ridden a few times and I had an '06 Super Glide for a year. The Dyna could be ridden way more aggressively and, IMO, it was more comfy. Except at idle and at 85-95kmh where the vibration from the rubber mount motor was too intense for my liking.

I was referring more to old fart cruising. Riding aggressively and in traffic, I would probably agree with that a Dyna would be a better choice.

Comfort really depends on the specific model in each family. I find a stock Super Glide to be uncomfortable where a Fat Bob is super comfortable for me. Likewise for softails, there is a big difference going from a Cross Bones to a Fat Boy to a Softail Deluxe. Some people dont like the Cross Bones but I actually found it to be really comfortable whereas the Deluxe I wasn't too thrilled about.

I recently remembered that I always liked the Electric Glide when I was a kid and didn't know any better. But damn, those cops could sure ride the snot out of them.
And I have been thinking about the whole Harley/Sportbike thing lately. My current ride is an FZ1, a sport tourer. I have no hate on for any riders or their choice of rides. But I have noticed that whenever I am riding my favorite twisty roads (usually no more than 20 over the speed limit) and catch up to a conga line of cars going below the speed limit, there is inevitably a cruiser or two in front of them.
I have actually found myself looking at electric glides, on the road and at a couple of dealers. But I would only consider one if I could take it in the twisties and confirm that it is the riders and not the bike that make them so slow in the corners.
I just finished a 4900km drive across the continent and I am in Vancouver this morning. I've only seen 2 bikers, both riding Harley's, that I would consider to be motorcyclists as opposed to being cruisers. They rode their bikes like they were on sportbikes. I was doing 10 to 15 mph over the 70mph speed limit in my Corolla, through the mountain twisties. So were they and doing it very well.
I hope to be able to take a test ride on a HD in the near future. Then I will see if there might be a HD in my future. As long as I can get one that can corner well and isn't entirely weighed down by chrome. Oh, and it will have to be a good colour for getting dirty since I know that I will never will a trophy at a show and shine.

Theres a demo in Windsor and Bleinham this weekend...

Sat Aug 6 - Thunder Road Harley-Davidson - Windsor, ON
Sun. Aug 7 - Duke's Harley-Davidson - Blenheim, ON
Thu. Aug 11 - Rocky's Harley-Davidson - London,ON
Fri, Aug 12 - Kitchener Harley-Davidson - Kitchener, ON
Sat. Aug 13 - Motorsport Custom Accessories - Sarnia, ON
Sun. Aug 14 - Fox Harley-Davidson/Buell - Owen Sound, ON
Thu. Aug 18 - Clare's Cycle & Sports - Niagara on the Lake, ON
Thu Oct 6 - Mackie's Harley-Davidson - Oshawa, ON
Sat. Oct 8 - MotoSport Plus - Kingston, ON
Sun. Oct 9 - Goulet Motosports - Hawkesbury, ON
Sat. Oct 15 - Jacox Harley-Davidson - Mississauga, ON
Sun. Oct 16 - Davies Harley-Davidson - Richmond Hill, ON
Sat. Oct 22 - Harley-Davidson of Toronto - Toronto, ON

I am thinking of riding to the Montreal demo but that will be a facebook event if I do :)

Rich,

Look at a 2009 or newer Road Glide with the 103" and try a demo. IMO, it's one of the best handling touring bikes from HD out of the box. Sometimes, you just got to go with what catches your eye though.

Cheers.

What can I say. Absolutely love riding this bike. I thought my BMW got attention, not even close compared to this. Most comments are initially on the colour of the bike, and then it's the amount of chrome or people saying "it's all engine".

Put about 600 km on it so far, only complaint so far is the rear suspension and the feeling of a really lean part-throttle fuel map. Went over some train tracks and it hurt like hell when the rear bottomed out. Some Ricor's will fix that and a PCV or SERT will fix the fueling.

Plans in the future (cause I just can't leave anything alone) are stage 1 upgrades (intake, exhaust, ECU) drag bars and rear suspension.

Told my wife she will never have to stress over what to buy me for Xmas, bday etc ever again. An H-D gift card will suffice from now on.

Last edited:
What can I say. Absolutely love riding this bike. I thought my BMW got attention, not even close compared to this. Most comments are initially on the colour of the bike, and then it's the amount of chrome or people saying "it's all engine".

Put about 600 km on it so far, only complaint so far is the rear suspension and the feeling of a really lean part-throttle fuel map. Went over some train tracks and it hurt like hell when the rear bottomed out. Some Ricor's will fix that and a PCV or SERT will fix the fueling.

Plans in the future (cause I just can't leave anything alone) are stage 1 upgrades (intake, exhaust, ECU) drag bars and rear suspension.

Told my wife she will never have to stress over what to buy me for Xmas, bday etc ever again. An H-D gift card will suffice from now on.

She's going to have to spend more on gifts now :(.

SE a/c kit will net you approx. 5 hp at the rear wheel and without remapping the fuel. Progressive makes some nice rear shocks for the the Sporty. Swap out the fork oil for SE grade and that should help out the suspension bits on both ends. No matter what, it's still a Sporty so, don't expect mircales.

If you upgrade the slip ons, you'll need a fuel map download. Warning. Dealer downloads keep EPA specs so, the bike will still run on the lean side. Get the sert to custom fit the fuel map to your liking. My SE IIs sound nice but, I really like V&H for Sportys.

Google HD forums and you'll find plenty of good places for information. Mostly American based but, still good stuff. PM me if you want specifics.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new ride. Cheers.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Sporty! The suspension is a common complaint, and there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades (I'm probably going to go with Progressive 412 rear shocks). Ah yes, the endless amounts of tweaking and customizing...now you'll come to realize that owning an HD ain't cheap, and you'll constantly lust over your next purchase.

LOL, told ya that would happen.

LMAO, told ya that would happen too. Glad you like your bike, have many safe and happy miles on it. And many fun (and expensive) winters modding it.:D

Back
Top Bottom