Heater -- Working on bike over the winter | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heater -- Working on bike over the winter

Heated floor ;) you can sit or lay right down anywhere on the warm concrete.

... just got a call from my son-in-law his tractor froze up and stopped dead in mid driveway. He's about to find out how to thaw out a hydrostatic tractor.
Heated floor??? There is just something non-farmer about that ! No deprivation and pain?? The old girl wakes up alone and realizes you are sleeping under the tractor again???

Heated floor??? There is just something non-farmer about that ! No deprivation and pain?? The old girl wakes up alone and realizes you are sleeping under the tractor again???
Clean vehicles that start and are ready to ride all year round ;)
filters that are not half full of ice

Years ago either the city or TTC was considering heating all the floors in the bus shelters and I would make a killing on the sale. Then they realized the homeless would take over the shelters and canned the concept.

Years ago either the city or TTC was considering heating all the floors in the bus shelters and I would make a killing on the sale. Then they realized the homeless would take over the shelters and canned the concept.
They would deny a homeless person a bit of warm concrete to sit on? That sucks, sure hope that wasn't the real reason.

They would deny a homeless person a bit of warm concrete to sit on? That sucks, sure hope that wasn't the real reason.

Happens all the time - Downtown especially has lots of this sot of stuff. commonly called "hostile architecture". benches, buildings, etc. are designed to prevent homeless people from using it to sleep.

Froze while running? Diesel? That's hard with gas.
Turns out I was right, he had to warm the hydraulics and clear half the fuel filter of ice, charge the battery and reboot.
Most impressive part is he managed to bleed the pump and injectors to get it going again (y) he's never done anything like that before

If your diesel engine simply slows down and stops :| you have no fuel pressure,
otherwise the great thing about a diesel is it runs just the same all the time (y)

as for that homeless people rejection thing that just makes me weep.

It's not simple. If you have homeless people occupying the bus shelter, the intended users (transit riders) often either feel or are told that they are not welcome. The correct answer is to provide the homeless a place to stay that is preferable to a heated concrete pad and then decide on the bus shelter project based on its own merits.

Back to the original topic:

OP,

Can you possibly make a small room within your garage? Maybe something that's 10x10, or even 8 x8 ?

It doesn't need to be permanent and it would be much easier to heat a small space than your entire garage

They are charging shop owners in San fransisco for not cleaning the homeless feces in front of their businesses. Coming soon to a GTA near you !

They are charging shop owners in San fransisco for not cleaning the homeless feces in front of their businesses. Coming soon to a GTA near you !

As repugnant as it is I wouldn't want to leave it. BTW I used to service a multi-level subsidized building and every morning that I went there the cleaners were mopping urine out of the elevator from the night before. It's here already.

Shelter is cheap and easy compared to food & sanitation.
I know how you would do it if it was a zoo, can't be that much different.

Shelter is cheap and easy compared to food & sanitation.
I know how you would do it if it was a zoo, can't be that much different.
Zoos have a specific location, to control smell health risks and mitigate danger to the public.

Zoos have a specific location, to control smell health risks and mitigate danger to the public.
I don't get the danger to public part though,
the public was always a greater danger to the animals, should read mitigate danger from the public.
... and they call them pens, cages or enclosures which can exist anywhere :|

Awesome thread..... from quartz heaters to steaming turds...?
Methane burners? Is that your contribution? :p

That construction heater I was using to heat the milk house may be a thing of the past or just kept for back up. I am almost finished an insulation project on the room ( 20x20 cement floor ), and a week ago I started using a DeLonghi oil filled radiator. Going to see how it affects the hydro bill. It was the only source of heat on a recent breezy -20 night/day. Kept the room at about 14 C. Definately not for anything other than a very tight well insulated area.

That construction heater I was using to heat the milk house may be a thing of the past or just kept for back up. I am almost finished an insulation project on the room ( 20x20 cement floor ), and a week ago I started using a DeLonghi oil filled radiator. Going to see how it affects the hydro bill. It was the only source of heat on a recent breezy -20 night/day. Kept the room at about 14 C. Definately not for anything other than a very tight well insulated area.
[/URL]
All electric heaters should have approximately the same long term operating costs assuming you keep the room at a constant temperature. The heat loss doesn't change with the heat source and you need btu/h to compensate for the loss. All electric heaters are 100% efficient at converting electricity to heat.

You may save a small amount of power by not having a fan on the electric rad but that is just because you avoid drafts over the colder surfaces. Conversely, without a fan, you may get a big vertical temperature gradient in the room. I have no idea what that does to heat loss.

All electric heaters should have approximately the same long term operating costs assuming you keep the room at a constant temperature. The heat loss doesn't change with the heat source and you need btu/h to compensate for the loss. All electric heaters are 100% efficient at converting electricity to heat.

You may save a small amount of power by not having a fan on the electric rad but that is just because you avoid drafts over the colder surfaces. Conversely, without a fan, you may get a big vertical temperature gradient in the room. I have no idea what that does to heat loss.
Yes going to have to see . I am hoping for a more consistent temperature but the gradient doesn't matter just as long as the water pressure system for cattle troughs doesn't freeze. My bike seems to be enjoying it, starts right up, gives me a "vroom vroom" fix until the next riding opportunity.:D

[/URL]
Most people don't heat the garage unless they are working inside it. That means you want a heater that can raise the temperature quickly, radiator's don't work like that.

If you turned the heater off altogether I'll bet your garage would stay above zero this time of year. In January when the ground under and around your garage has lost it's summer heat, a 1500watt rad won't raise the temp more than a few degrees.

Electric construction heaters can deliver up to 4x the heat when called upon, this not only raises the room temperature faster, it will raise it higher, circulate it better, and hold it steadier when doors are opened and closed.

A well insulated 20x20x8 garage need about 4KW of heating available. If you want to properly size you heater, try this link. Use the sq' of your garage door, and slab on grade. Heat Loss Calculator

... then eventually you will wear all that stuff out,
get fed up with all the condensation you are creating every time you let it get cold again,
and then you will pour that heated garage floor and say omg :/ why didn't I do this years ago.

Depends how often you use it. 15 years without a heated floor, I'm still just fine thanks.

Edit. I'm replying to Trials.i must be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom