Heated jacket liner OR thick leather jacket? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated jacket liner OR thick leather jacket?

Corsara

Site Supporter
I've been wanting to extend my riding seasons from next spring on, but so far I've been riding with a textile jacket (with protective pads). When it's less than about 7-8 degrees outside, it becomes way too cold, so I've been looking to upgrade my gear.

I was thinking to invest into a heated jacket liner to wear underneath, but a friend of mine recently said that maybe it's a better idea to just get a thick leather jacket, because if it's too cold for that, then it's probably a good sign I shouldn't ride in the first place. It totally makes sense, but I'd like to see what everybody thinks about it. In all cases, I will not ride in ice/snow/etc no matter if heated or not, so what we're looking at is riding when the termometer hits 0+ Celsius temperatures. I've never had a leather jacket, so I don't have a personal opinion..

you might find a heavier leather jacket is all you need and better than a heated jacket liner. I have both.
it really depends, and consider when off the bike the jacket won't work (without battery) so you might end up cold if you're relying on heated gear and thin textile ontop.

so far this season I've worn my heated liner, but mostly not turned it on unless It's less than 2, night, orhighway. it's really the GLOVES that I've had cranked. I was wearing a tourmaster leather before and now a furygan leather jacket (damn good looking worn look). and I just don't find I need the heated liner if I'm wearing a hoodie underneath. today I just didn't even bother with the heated gear and just rode.

gloves though, yes. Gerbings G3 with a controller so you don't burn your hands and you'll be darn happy.
grips to squat in the cold.

I was born in South Africa so it may explain why I love my Gerbings heated jacket. I've had it for the last 5 years and once you start using one, you would probably ask yourself why you waited this long. So yes, I love mine.

Both, and a good pair of gloves and you'll be good till it snows.

I've been wanting to extend my riding seasons from next spring on, but so far I've been riding with a textile jacket (with protective pads). When it's less than about 7-8 degrees outside, it becomes way too cold, so I've been looking to upgrade my gear.

I was thinking to invest into a heated jacket liner to wear underneath, but a friend of mine recently said that maybe it's a better idea to just get a thick leather jacket, because if it's too cold for that, then it's probably a good sign I shouldn't ride in the first place. It totally makes sense, but I'd like to see what everybody thinks about it. In all cases, I will not ride in ice/snow/etc no matter if heated or not, so what we're looking at is riding when the termometer hits 0+ Celsius temperatures. I've never had a leather jacket, so I don't have a personal opinion..

Get the heated liner. Depending on your current gear/ride (all bikes have differing airflow) you might prefer a vest to whole jacket. Windchill can be pretty insidious, even in August. I recall one trip where I left at 4am--it was about 10 degrees. Some people have outstanding circulation and will be fine with a leather jacket (+ layers). Layers only went so far for me.

There are other advantages to heated gear, beyond staving off hypothermia. Being comfortable keeps you more alert and puts you in a better mood. I'm usually more relaxed riding the scooter (radiant heat) than driving the car (convective heat). The radiant heat also soothes my back muscles, so I'm not as fatigued after a long ride.

Plugging is a pain to begin with, but like any routine, becomes second nature.

I'd go with the heated liner. My Teknic Freeway jacket is super warm but below 5c I still find it lacking.

Heated jacket FTW!

@fyrebug - Heated grips rock dude, especially for touring when you prefer to wear your summer gloves and get caught in a nice downpour in the mountains. Try it sometime.

Milwaukee Tools makes a neat one where you use a rechargeable LiO battery good for 6 hours. Pricey but could be worn under a your jacket instead of its liner or just as a jacket. Battery slides in a rear pouch and has 3 heat zones and controllable.

I have heated grips ronnie and use them on occassion. Youre right theyre great in a pinch. But compared to good heated gloves theyre not even a blip on the radar. The heat is uneven.

Heated jacket FTW!

@fyrebug - Heated grips rock dude, especially for touring when you prefer to wear your summer gloves and get caught in a nice downpour in the mountains. Try it sometime.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

I just add one more layer. I like to feel a little bit fresh :D
The more important thing in low temperatures - frozen hands. I found for my self double glows as a solution.

I got the Scorpion Commander Jacket and with all the layers in and a long-sleeved t-shirt under my regular shirt I was good at -5 a couple of weeks ago. My hands were cold, so I'm looking for better gloves. I don't think I could use heated gear without adding a separate battery to my antiques; it would kill them to power anything other than their own selves.

Something that creates heat will always be better than not. I run heated grips with wind deflectors and rain gloves, a ski jacket over an oversized 1pc suit with street clothes underneath. Other than the occasional time I need the snow pants, I'm good to -10 or less. Some warmer boots or heated socks would help though.

Thanks everyone for the great info. As it usually happens, random events always help someone make a choice without much further thought. This happened to me. I accidentally came across a great used leather jacket deal, here's the jacket:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/275/345/Leather_Jackets/Champion_Superbike_Jacket

Found it for $130, it's in almost perfect condition, also quite clean. This is quite an upgrade from my own textile jacket, so I bought it. It also comes with an insulated vest that zips inside the jacket. I think I'll be good with it, so I'll look into investing into Oxford Hotgrips for the dear hands. I think I should be well equiped for temperatures above the 0.

if you're settled on heated grips you can also find kimpex heated grips for about $30 at cdn tire. not sure how they compare to the better ones, but mine have 2 settings and they have no lack of heat. the only problem is I find the high setting WAY too hot, and the low setting slightly too low. A solution would be a $2 variable resistor though.

Heated jackets are great on long rides, especially going from stop and go traffic to the highway.

With a perforated leather jacket with the thermal liner it came with and a hoodie I'm good down to about 5 degrees. Add another layer and about -5 to -10 is ok. But it's always my hands that get cold. Torso is fine.

if you can get some bark busters or something you will fair better. otherwise even with those you may find your fingertips cold. problem with grips is they don't heat the outside of your hand which is the place all the col air is hitting.
they also don't heat your fingers when you're at a red light and your fingers are on the clutch and on the brake.

If you're on a tight budget layer up and use heated grips. I have heated gloves, jacket, socks and a dual Heat-Troller. You can't beat proper heated clothing and a good 2 circuit controller for total all day comfort in < 5c weather.

Back
Top Bottom