Hearing loss | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hearing loss

I had inner ear problems a couple of years ago that resulted in loss of balance, vertigo and nausea. They're vital for so much more functionality than just listening.

Funnily enough my balance on a motorcycle was unaffected.

I was just as bad a rider as I was before my inner ear problems...

One of the reasons why I was diagnosed with ear problems when I was a kid was my parents wondering why I kept walking in circles and falling over.

It's too bad they are so bulky and will never fit underneath a helmet. Wonder how the NC tech would work against wind, road and tire noise?
Aviation headsets have been using ANC for ages, and it works reasonably well on the road. It's best suited for semi-steady droning background noises. I own cheap, noisy cars, and I've used a couple of different ANC earbud types in the car on the highway with good results.

I have a set of the now-discontinued Bose QuietComfort 20 wired ANC earbuds. They are very effective in planes and office environments. Subjectively, I'd rate the sound reduction as being similar to 22dB rubber earplugs, which would be acceptable for me on a bike. Unfortunately, mine suffered from a painfully loud popping sound due to sudden changes in air pressure, which happens constantly on my bikes. They'll even pop if I wear them in the car due to the pressure wave from oncoming traffic on regular two-lane country roads. The cords also conduct a lot of noise directly to my ears when they rub on my collar. At least one other member on this forum had the same QC20 and didn't suffer from the popping, so I think they eventually ironed out those problems.

I've seen a couple of aftermarket in-helmet ANC systems like this over the years, but I'm not sure if any of them have made it to market. Getting the ear cups of a retrofit system like that to fit into any existing helmet would be an issue. A helmet built with ANC from the ground up like Sena's Momentum INC would be a lot slicker, but I have a hard enough time finding a helmet to fit my head shape as it is. Sena's version of ANC did not get good reviews at the time.

Lightcycle
It's too bad they are so bulky and will never fit underneath a helmet. Wonder how the NC tech would work against wind, road and tire noise?
The problem is the energies need to offset the varying noises in real time. Lot of power in the sound to be neutralized. I tried the Pioneer NC under the helmet and they did help making an audio clearer but NC is really best for steady noise as in planes.

Well this is a welcome test run
Current AirPod hearing aid features
Apple currently offers four AirPod models: AirPods 2nd generation, AirPods 3rd generation, AirPods Pro 2nd generation, and AirPods Max, an over-the-ear style headphone. When discussing the use of AirPods as hearing aid substitutes, we are generally referring to AirPods Pro (second generation), which was released in September 2022 and is the newest model.

Apple has advanced its AirPods to be used as an OTC hearing aid alternative for those with mild to moderate hearing loss. These innovative features transform the popular earbuds from an audio accessory to an assistive hearing device. Below are features of the Apple AirPods that can be used for those with mild to moderate hearing loss to improve their hearing.

Live Listen
The Live Listen feature turns your iPhone (or iPad) into a directional microphone, which sends the sound directly to your AirPods. This helps users to hear speech in noisy environments better. The feature can be accessed and controlled from the control center on any iOS device and is available on any of the four AirPod models. Some high-end hearing aid manufacturers, like Phonak, offer similar remote microphones, which can be placed near the source you’re trying to hear.
more

I don't like the ear bud style but if they work as a hearing aid I do trust Apple's tech.
Good informative vid

Last edited:
The AirPods helped certainly - I noticed it more the next week when I did not have them available.

Got my audiology test next week and been looking for audiophile level if possible and these were recommended.
They are available in Australia which is good - not cheap which is not good but partner sez I should get them free through insurance.....I'm from Missoura on that but we do pay a fair bit for good private coverage.

I know I'm headed for hearing aids probably sometime in the next 5 years or so. 30 years in the trucking industry and banging around buildings on forklifts and such has really taken it's toll & I have a very notable loss of hearing in what seems to be the lower frequencies. A real eye opener for me has been that a few times in the last few weeks the charge cord on my Volt in the driveway has been a bit wonky for some reason and the "charge cord power loss alert" (which is a low-frequency gurgling noise, not a full on car alarm) has gone off overnight. My wife wakes me up and tells me "Your alarm is going off", and I can't hear didly squat. Same for other things where there's been some weird noise outside or something that my wife hears and, yeah, I can't hear it.

I've pretty much always worn earplugs while riding, and now I use in-ear monitors with earplug attachments while riding (just as good), but it's the probably 2 decades of over the road driving in loud trucks (before I starter wearing earplugs then as well) have caught up to me. That, and just plain getting old lol.

The aids aren't cheap ($3700)

I think this one of the biggest rip offs on the face of the planet when you look at what these things are, which are glorified earbuds. Just like how boutique eyeglass places sell frames that cost them $50 wholesale for $700, I'm confident that hearing aids have insane markups somewhere along the line. Some cursory searching shows markups as much as 6x their wholesale cost.

Ear plugs are becoming mandatory in a lot of mines right now

They weren't before? 🧐

I know I'm headed for hearing aids probably sometime in the next 5 years or so. 30 years in the trucking industry and banging around buildings on forklifts and such has really taken it's toll & I have a very notable loss of hearing in what seems to be the lower frequencies. A real eye opener for me has been that a few times in the last few weeks the charge cord on my Volt in the driveway has been a bit wonky for some reason and the "charge cord power loss alert" (which is a low-frequency gurgling noise, not a full on car alarm) has gone off overnight. My wife wakes me up and tells me "Your alarm is going off", and I can't hear didly squat. Same for other things where there's been some weird noise outside or something that my wife hears and, yeah, I can't hear it.

I've pretty much always worn earplugs while riding, and now I use in-ear monitors with earplug attachments while riding (just as good), but it's the probably 2 decades of over the road driving in loud trucks (before I starter wearing earplugs then as well) have caught up to me. That, and just plain getting old lol.

I think this one of the biggest rip offs on the face of the planet when you look at what these things are, which are glorified earbuds. Just like how boutique eyeglass places sell frames that cost them $50 wholesale for $700, I'm confident that hearing aids have insane markups somewhere along the line. Some cursory searching shows markups as much as 6x their wholesale cost.

They weren't before? 🧐
Will work sign you up for an audiologist test? Slightly surprised that isn't part of their yearly package as it can protect the business from claims of job related hearing loss.

As part of my ear mess, I got tested and the doc and audiologist were happy that I improved to -15db in my bad ear (i was all the way down to bone conduction only at one point). F that. That's no good. Last check I was at -3 and still annoyed about the impairment.

They weren't before? 🧐

The Costco locations that do hearing aids are apparently not a rip off.

Yup - told partner the same thing.
I'm glad Apple is moving into the field and some of the other audio majors are there already
Part of the high price is driven by insurance as sure is not cost of materials.
OTC aids were only allowed recently as the audiology practicioners had a lock on the field ...medical device and so governed by restricted access.

IF I get mine free through private medical then I will go for a premium set in the $3-5k range focused on music fidelity.

If not and I get stuck in the lower price sector ( still ripoff ) as I do to get free glasses then I may wait on Apple moving forward with improved contouring software.
Apple's AirPods Pro are getting closer to becoming fully fledged hearing aids and marketed as such, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The move could have a large impact on the hearing aid market, which has already been recently shaken up by over-the-counter models.
snip ...A study in late 2022 found that first-generation AirPods Pro, with their "Live Listen" feature activated, could meet four of the five PSAP standards and just barely missed a sound-pressure threshold. Notably, the AirPods Pro, tested in relatively quiet environments, helped people hear about as well as hearing aid models that cost up to $10,000, within the PSAP standards.

I ordered a pair of AirPod Pros and tried them out for a week before returning....there was improvement in crowded environments but I did not dive into the contouring as waiting on the audiologist report which like a glasses script can be taken anywhere and unlike glasses...DYI contouring through software to meet the script is possible.
Also waiting on the next iOS improvements noted in article.

Last edited:
Will work sign you up for an audiologist test? Slightly surprised that isn't part of their yearly package as it can protect the business from claims of job related hearing loss.

I wish. I had to fight with them to get a medical accomodation on something else despite multiple doctors notes, a track record of injuries, and a reconstructive surgery...and it's still not an "official" accomodation. I can't get into it much more online, but suffice to say I'm keeping good records if anything goes pear shaped. But our overseeing company has a whole department that seems decicated to fighting stuff like this at the ivory towers. It's frustrating.

If I filed a WSIB claim tomorrow for my hearing they'd come up with every excuse under the sun on why it's something elses's fault I'm losing my hearing.

The Costco locations that do hearing aids are apparently not a rip off.

My wife's grandmother just got a set through Costco and it was $3500 after the $1000 government ADP kick in - for a nice set of bluetooth endabled in-ears. Clearly Costco isn't gouging, agreed, but I'm sure they're still making some coin.

I'm glad Apple is moving into the field and some of the other audio majors are there already

Disruption is good. This industry needs it.

I wish. I had to fight with them to get a medical accomodation on something else despite multiple doctors notes, a track record of injuries, and a reconstructive surgery...and it's still not an "official" accomodation. I can't get into it much more online, but suffice to say I'm keeping good records if anything goes pear shaped. But our overseeing company has a whole department that seems decicated to fighting stuff like this at the ivory towers. It's frustrating.

If I filed a WSIB claim tomorrow for my hearing they'd come up with every excuse under the sun on why it's something elses's fault I'm losing my hearing.

My wife's grandmother just got a set through Costco and it was $3500 after the $1000 government ADP kick in - for a nice set of bluetooth endabled in-ears. Clearly Costco isn't gouging, agreed, but I'm sure they're still making some coin.

Disruption is good. This industry needs it.

Ouch. I thought they were cheaper than that. There’s still gouging going on there but I’d like to think that it’s not Costco adding a premium.

Hearing aids are like orthotics. The insurance industry is partly responsible for the outrageous prices charged.

Ouch. I thought they were cheaper than that. There’s still gouging going on there but I’d like to think that it’s not Costco adding a premium.

It's without doubt somewhere between manufacturer and retail.

Here's an eye opener....go take a look on AliExpress for "hearing aid". At least one of these for <$50 look strikingly similar to the $3500 paid my relative now has.

1712194082274.png

Pages and pages of them for well under $100. Are all of them great? Probably not. Are some of them more than adequate for the needs of many people who might not have insurance to cover a fancy $4000-$8000 prescription set? I have no doubt whatsoever.

It's without doubt somewhere between manufacturer and retail.

Here's an eye opener....go take a look on AliExpress for "hearing aid". At least one of these for <$50 look strikingly similar to the $3500 paid my relative now has.

View attachment 66978

Pages and pages of them for well under $100. Are all of them great? Probably not. Are some of them more than adequate for the needs of many people who might not have insurance to cover a fancy $4000-$8000 prescription set? I have no doubt whatsoever.

My Dad finally got his hearing tested a couple of years back. He was down a few dB in one ear and the audiologist quoted $3000 for a single hearing aid. Since his insurance wasn't going to cover it Dad said f that and bought something off Amazon for about $75. It may not deliver perfect hearing, but it really helps. He no longer misses 50% of a conversation in noisy environments. Now it's only the occasion word from a quiet talker that he misses, even in a crowded room. The TV volume got turned way down as well.

The TV volume got turned way down as well.

The funniest observation with my wife's grandmother after she got her hearing aids is that she talks much quieter now. I guess when she could suddenly hear again she became aware of how loud she was talking all the time lol.

Actually very common. Happened with me and another friend who just got HAs.

Do you get a discount or government subsidy when you turn 65?

Do you get a discount or government subsidy when you turn 65?

Search for "ADP", assistive devices program.

I'm pretty sure age doesn't matter, I am in the process of becoming a CPAP user (oh joy) and am eligible for the ADP even though I'm significantly under 65.

Back
Top Bottom